Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Mills #587840 Mon Dec 22 2014 07:55 AM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Love the pictures of these old stations - great way to connect to the past for sure.

Thanks for posting.

Steve
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
JimT #587848 Mon Dec 22 2014 08:00 AM
M
Mills Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
M
I actually got the pictures off off of Facebook. To answer your questions LastGas, the Standard station was just to the south of the Route 66 bypass. Clover, Kisellus, & Malek were the original owners of the Tri-Oil gas stations and fuel company. Clover had sold out when I worked there. They had stations in Gardner, Minooka, Pontiac, Morris, and two in Dwight. They might have had a couple more. I will attach a picture of the back of the Gardner station that looks just like the Dwight station to the north of the Route 66 bypass. Right next to the coffeehouse is one of the stations I worked at. It was a Sunoco station when I worked there and the old Sunoco sign is painted over and being used by the current restaurant.

Dwight Sunoco Gas.jpg Texaco Gas Dwight Sunoco.jpg
Mills #587851 Mon Dec 22 2014 08:14 AM
M
Mills Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
M
Forgot to answer the question about Beyer's gas station and restaurant. The station closed in the mid 70's when Interstate 55 opened. The first renter of the location was a friend of ours and as a kid I thought that was the coolest thing ever that he lived there. The counter top was still there along with some booths. He had one area (his bedroom) covered with hanging sheet for walls. When my dad worked there in the 60's they sold Shell and then switched to Texaco. He said one Memorial or Labor day weekend that they had a man on each of their six pumps and they couldn't fill the tanks fast enough. They ran out of regular at .339 and were selling Ethyl at .399. They were fortunate enough to get a delivery of Ethyl from their supplier at were packed until closing time. He also worked with a mechanic who would yell Beer Call at closing time and throw down his tools even during a middle of a job hop in his truck and head to Klein's Tavern because it had the coldest beer in town.

Last edited by Mills; Mon Dec 22 2014 09:00 AM. Reason: spelling
Mills #587865 Mon Dec 22 2014 09:04 AM
M
Mills Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
M
If you are driving on the mother road you might want to stop and check out the Ambler/Becker station along with this guys pumps. Also, south 10 miles is Odell and the old Standard station. 10 more miles and you hit Pontiac where there is a Pontiac/Oakland museum. Also, someone is selling vintage cars and pumps out of one of the stations owned by Tri-Oil.

Vintage Now II.jpg Old Gas Dwight.jpg
Mills #587867 Mon Dec 22 2014 09:06 AM
M
Mills Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
M
Here are some pictures of the town of Odell.

Odell Standard.png Sinclair Odell.png Odell Mobil.png
Mills #587951 Mon Dec 22 2014 04:38 PM
M
Mills Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
M
I guess my dream could still be a reality of living in the old Beyer restaurant. wink
http://www.homefinder.com/IL/Dwight/911-South-Old-Route-66-106581570d

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved