Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#587030 Wed Dec 17 2014 10:06 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
This is the first one I have seen. Is there lots of these out there just wondering? and about what year is this from the phone number tells me it must be some what old. Thanks

conoco level 1.jpg conoco level 2.jpg

Always looking for grizzly gasoline stuff, or any Montana gas and oil stuff.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
hotrodfun1 #587031 Wed Dec 17 2014 11:53 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I keep seeing this type of questions and responders don't really know how to answer them.
Let me answer this with words, I don't have the time to attach pictures, etc. to back up this information.
Back as early as the late 20s companies started to advertised in NPN (National Petroleum News), Oil Age, etc. that they were offering whatever, that could be used as a give-away for the purchase of a tank full of gas.
After WWII, everything went crazy. I wrote at least one article for "Check the Oil" about all the give-a-ways of the 1950s, especially the trading stamps, remember them?
Companies developed, that could make a product (such as the level shown above, or how about the thing that looks like a scraper, but it has a thermometer on it). They acquired the rights to reproduced a oil companies logo (such as CONOCO). They then sent out a flyer to every CONOCO dealer telling them that they could provide, thermometers, cigarette lighters, glasses, anything you could imagine to be used as a give-a-way.

Small town, Texaco dealer on one end of town, Shell dealer on the other end of town, both giving away the identical item. Why, these were not purchased from the oil companies, they were generally sold directly to the service station operator by a salesman that came into town with a catalog of items that his company could put the station owners name and the oil companies name on. Now, before anyone corrects me, yes, in some cases they were sold by the oil companies. I have a number of Sinclair sales literature where they were offering matchbooks, etc. that could be purchased through Sinclair.
I was a Shell dealer in the early 70s, two years later a Phillips dealer, then five years later a Sunoco dealer. I remember salesman coming by the station with a catalog of items that I could have my station name put on them along with the oil companies name to be given-away at the pumps.
Calendars were sold to the station operators by the Brown and Bigelow calendar company of Minnesota, not by the Shell Oil Company. The level was probably purchased from one of these companies directly.
While some will say this is a CONOCO collectible, actually it is not it is a collectible from the little service station that gave it away, that same level probably had 100s of other oil companies and stations names put on them.

Just in case someone might think I am criticizing this, I am not, I am a historian, my goal/job/whatever is to provide the history behind things such as this.

I am reminded of the words spoken by David Jansen on the old TV show "Dragnet." "Just the facts sir, just the facts."

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Jack Sim #587034 Thu Dec 18 2014 12:09 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
So would of Texaco, Husky ect. been on them also??? if it was not a Conoco collectible. I do like all the info you gave me. Thanks

hotrodfun1 #587039 Thu Dec 18 2014 12:40 AM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I gave you general information. Promotion companies purchased the rights to reproduce the oil company name or logo, so my answer to your question is any oil company's logo could have been on an item if the promotion company had the rights to do it. They wouldn't just make a level for one little company that ordered 100 of them, they would have been mass produced, probably painted different colors, then had the name of local dealers put on them. Call it what you want, call it a CONOCO collectible, but someone else is probably calling the identical item a Texaco collectible.

Jack

Last edited by Jack Sim; Thu Dec 18 2014 12:45 AM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Jack Sim #587042 Thu Dec 18 2014 02:18 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Jack;
Like the way you described that.
As a "Marathon" Collector I categorize my items in three ways.
•"Marathon Authorized" (company issued)
•"Dealer Authorized" (Something a dealer ordered outside the company)
•“Dealer Made” (something a dealer slapped a Marathon logo on himself)
• Often hard to differentiate between them.
Such companies are still in business today.
I have a “Marathon” version of the level in the discussion.
The further down my list I rate an item the less I value it.

Chuck

I have my level dated as early 1950' but may be older.
I know the dealer listed on it was in business at the time.

Level-red.jpg
Last edited by Gaspedler; Thu Dec 18 2014 02:30 AM. Reason: add photo
Gaspedler #587043 Thu Dec 18 2014 03:01 AM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
That is actually great insight Jack. Thank you!!
And like you said, these companies still exist. They've always come into the places I've worked peddling pens, lighters, calendars, ..... with your company name on them. We would give them to customers.

So this made me wonder, what about the little oil can banks? Do they fall into this category? Or did these come from the oil companies themselves?

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Steven C. #587058 Thu Dec 18 2014 07:24 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jack once again you have spread your knowledge and thank you so very much. Please keep up the good work so the rest of us can pay it forward in the future!!

Thanks again Jack, Merry Christmas!!

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Mike M. #587070 Thu Dec 18 2014 09:11 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thank you again. very good info. I learn something everyday. Like Steve said what else falls in the same category? It get me looking at some of the small stuff I have and wondering. Thanks Again

hotrodfun1 #587135 Thu Dec 18 2014 04:43 PM
H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
Be sure to bid through OldGas......

Vintage 1950s 60s Texaco Gas Oil Company Levels Clara City Minn.

Vintage advertising level Schinkten Oil Co. Sturgeon Bay, Wisc. Shell

SCHINKTEN OIL CO Advertising Level Ruler Wood Sturgeon Bay Wisconsin Vintage Old

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved