Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#581153 Wed Nov 19 2014 03:23 PM
BryceG Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I still think the best way to get opinions of many on this forum is to start a poll...

So regarding COTM (Company of the Month) threads, if they were started again - which option would best apply to you:

(this poll is completely anonymous, so be honest. results cant be seen until you vote)

If the COTM thread started again...
single choice
Votes accepted starting: Wed Nov 19 2014 03:21 PM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
BryceG #581155 Wed Nov 19 2014 03:48 PM
BryceG Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
for any really new members that dont know what COTM is... it was a monthly topic that was devoted to one company. It usually started with a bit of history about the company and then others would reply with pictures of their items or more information on the company.

Here's one I have bookmarked (for obvious reasons):
http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=488950&page=1

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
BryceG #581310 Thu Nov 20 2014 11:39 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bryce I admire what your doing and I hope it takes off in a positive manner. As one who has hosted cotm if members don't contribute the post will die and that's what was happening.

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
s932 #581545 Fri Nov 21 2014 05:10 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bryce,
I have serious doubts about reviving COTM, but maybe a fresh approach is just what it needs to be successful. One thing is certain...you won't know unless you try.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
s932 #581551 Fri Nov 21 2014 05:35 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sadly, too many I seem to have known , both here and on other forums are passing on . Already this year , I have attended four funerals ............

see ya on the road folks !
eshaver #581559 Fri Nov 21 2014 06:13 PM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
I couldn't vote because there really isn't a choice for me so I'm putting it in words. I love the company of the month. But I like anything with info and pictures of oil & gas stuff. I would contribute if possible, but my collection isn't really deep enough to have much to offer. And my historical knowledge is even shallower than my collection. So I really dont have much to offer the COTM threads. But I do enjoy them very much!! I would imagine that is the case with many of the members. Especially those who are newer members. These type postings require the seniors, those with deep knowledge, and from what I hear, there's just more and more of them that aren't around as much any more. cry

I wish they would all come back more often!!!

I hear about how, 'oh the site isn't what it used to be'. Well I say to all the old guys who feel that way, do something about it!! POST something worth reading!! Post something worth looking at!!

The only thing I do know is, I aint going no where!! I love this site!!

Keep it up Bryce!! And I thank you for your efforts!!

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Steve C.
COTM isn't just done by a person with the most knowledge. It is about a sharing of everyone's little bits and pieces to make a whole.
In the past is was more of a problem just finding someone to host a COTM. Because a lot of people were afraid they just didn't know enough. Sounds like that hasn't changed. Once started, the others join in.

I encourage everyone to use the upload feature for photos. Trouble with past posts is other hosting sites were used and now a lot of the photos are gone.

Chuck

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Steve, Back in the day we had Pump Of The Month, Pump Plate Of The Month which evolved into Sign Of The Month, Collectible Of The Week, Globe Of The Month, Quart Of The Month,Restoration Of The Month, Map Of The Month, Company Of The Month, Container Of The Month, Petroleum Collectible Of The Month and maybe some others I can't remember. Some of the hosts of those features had outstanding collections, others had average collections and some had modest collections. What they had in common was a desire to make the hobby and this site better.

I hosted Globe Of The Month for many years so I'll use it as an example. I have a somewhat decent collection now but when I started GOTM I had a very modest collection, and limited knowledge of globes. What I had was a passion for globes and making this site better. Since I didn't have the globes or knowledge to make GOTM what I thought it should be, I got permission from Scott Benjamin to use info and images from PCM, books he authored, and his website. I got Aumman Auctions, and later Matthews Auctions to furnish thousands of images of the petroliana they sold. I got permission from John O'Hearn to use images from his website. And I networked with collectors that had outstanding globe collections and they shared many images of the globes in their collections. Several people with good stuff in their collections took notice of what we were doing and either posted globe images themselves or sent me pictures to use.
It was a tremendous amount of work but I enjoyed it, but like all of the other "of the month" hosts I got burned out.

In addition to GOTM I hosted SOTM for a short time. I was really out of my element but thought the feature was worth the effort to keep going. I also did a COTM on Sinclair, recruited other monthly COTM hosts, furnished pictures (that I got from the previously mentioned sources) for the sign and can features. Over the years I had to recruit new hosts for our monthly and weekly features. I also moderated the showcase forum and later the entire Shop Talk forum and became an admin for the site.
What I didn't do was sit back and wait for someone else to do the work.
My story is NOT unique. Larry Ivy, Dick Bennett,Richard (Gatorgaspumps), Neal Dunn, Ted Roach, Doc, Matt Barkee, Tom Hilliker, Scott Shipers, Wes Worsham, Ryan Miller, Chuck (Kmann), Hubba, John Jarvis, Lonnie and Arron Hop,Brad Ralston, Shawn Morris and I'm sure some others that don't come to mind right now all took the bull by the horns and hosted regular features. They didn't sit back and wait for others to do the work.
We also had guys like Dwaine Buck that came up with good ideas for features and great contributors like Rex Benson and Craig Landon.

My advice is to stop wishing for the old guys to get involved again and become more active yourself. If enough of you younger guys do that the older guys may take notice and become involved with the forum again.

Last edited by Lastgas15; Sat Nov 22 2014 08:12 AM. Reason: spelling

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Lastgas15, I would address you by your real name but unfortunately I dont know it. I do thank you for your comments in regards to my posting. I want to say, that I meant no offense to anyone. I just keep hearing how great it once was.... From the postings you talk of that used to exist, it surely sounds like it was more than just an alternative to ebay. Which unfortunately for many I fear that is all it is. I dont know the answers to all this. Guys either come around and post or they dont.

Burned out? Holy ***** I guess so!! I can't imagine where you found the time for all that. I certainly know I dont have it. I take several minutes in the morning before work, and usually the same when I get home from work, to check out oldgas. Sometimes I steal a second while at work or at lunch or I check in during the evening. But personally, as much as I like this hobby, this stuff, this site, the guys I've met... I dont have time to make a second part time job out of it. But I look forward to retirement in 10-15 years when I hope I can. I can't help but ask, how many of those you mentioned were retired or self employed or single? Just curious.
Well gotta run. Left work early this morning so I could get home and get started on a full day of projects around the house. I can't wait for the day when those project include things like blocking in a set of skins for a visible pump. Or hanging up a new sign. But for now, it's remodeling a dressing room for my wife, cleaning up the construction mess in the basement from the same remodel and a bunch more honey do stuff!

Last edited by Steve C.; Sat Nov 22 2014 08:45 AM.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I put on a few pictures the last time Sinclair was the company of the month. It was done at least once before. When you do a search, a lot of times there is a little red x where the picture used to be. A lot of times, pictures made up 95% of the thread. I try to contribute when I can but my collection is mostly limited to one brand. I have added to the thread months after I posted most of the pictures. I think it would be nice if there was yet another category that had links to all the past Company of the months. I know, more work for the moderators to move stuff but there is still a lot of good info in the old threads. People could see what pictures are still there and add on as they can.

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Steve,
People get out of the hobby what they put into it.
A couple of those guys were retired or semi-retired. A couple of us are self employed which means we have less free time.
Bob

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I will add a little input. Yes this site is nothing like it used to be... I know we all here that all the time but it's true.
Blame repop guys for some of it... There used to be some great stuff posted on this site and then little later you would see globes or sign or cans made from what guys posted. Found people stealing images and using them on eBay. Many including myself decided to not post pics and keep in mind back then it was much harder to post pics.

These features do take a lot of time!
I really don't think the site will ever be what it was! Some are affraid to post pics of there good stuff. Some are burned out beause of the picker mentality the site has went to. There are many guys who spent years learning our hobby on this site to help find them helping people coming wanting info. Then that is what it turned into everyone wanting to know what this is worth or that. They got tired of giving prices to find some argue with them.

I guess if you want to do COTM that is cool but you have to get site participation or it will not happen. Guys need to share there collection and passion... not inventory as they don't care unless they think they can buy it and make a dollar.
Good luck.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Jarvis #581637 Sat Nov 22 2014 10:20 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I like this site a lot.. I have bought from members here and have been very happy with the items.. Theres a ton of info from all the members too. I agree seems more like Ebay with all the stuff for sale anymore but, This is a Petro show away from a show. Great people on here and a few bad ones...At Petro shows I am proud to say I am a member here.I hope this site continues to grow..Brian

Last edited by Keystone Gas Man; Sat Nov 22 2014 10:22 AM.

Looking for Keystone,Pure,Sinclair,Texaco,Sterling and Gulf...Thanks, Brian
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Brian, no doubt there are some great people on this site. There are some nice pickers on the site that buys and sells without asking for a value on every pece they own. LOL
It is a show away from a show for sure. I have some friends that I talk to on a regular bases because of this site.

Just saying i don't ever see it being what it used to be.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Jarvis #581672 Sat Nov 22 2014 03:39 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
John, your one of the good ones on here smile smile And yes without some of the older members ..DB etc. It does feel different. Take care,Brian

Last edited by Keystone Gas Man; Sat Nov 22 2014 03:41 PM.

Looking for Keystone,Pure,Sinclair,Texaco,Sterling and Gulf...Thanks, Brian

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved