Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
ABCTrip Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Just to be clear the machined piece actuates the switch from the outside of the pump. I did not machine a switch. If you want to turn it on and off the way the factory intended it has to have this. I don't want to take the door off every time to turn the lights on. Figured somebody else might have the same problem, but apparently not. On a lift off door I can't see any other way unless you wire in a remote wireless control or straight wire a cord with no switch.

For Sale Petroliana - Unpriced

Sellers Must Be Approved to Sell in This Category

Click on "Contact" on the upper right to request this privilege, stating a reason

Please read and follow all the For Sale Petroliana forum Guidelines and Non-Petro For Sale forum Guidelines
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
My rod was rusted solid and the block inside was bad shape. Had to make a new rod and took an end mill and cut the set screw out and re taped hole. Then replaced the switch with a toggle switch from lowes. Had tons of time just to make the switch work.
Do guys like there pumps to work or do a lot of guys just hard wire lights direct.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Originally Posted By: ABCTrip
Just to be clear the machined piece actuates the switch from the outside of the pump. I did not machine a switch. If you want to turn it on and off the way the factory intended it has to have this. I don't want to take the door off every time to turn the lights on. Figured somebody else might have the same problem, but apparently not. On a lift off door I can't see any other way unless you wire in a remote wireless control or straight wire a cord with no switch.
I understood why you did this but it was the hard way to solve your problem....Make sure that the original switch is removed and the leads are wire nutted together making a hot connection. Use the existing switch hole or drill a 3/8 inch hole in the side panel, install a new switch, wire and light? Common sense approach it a simple problem? Why go through the time to make a part when a hardware store replacement works for $5.00? Having done hundreds of pumps over the years, this is the best way to get a fix to a very simple issue. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

Last edited by gasmansgp; Sun Nov 23 2014 07:21 AM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I understand because I think the same way... I want to turn it on just like you would have at the station. I don't want some $5.00 toggle switch on the side of my pump. I go through the time to buy original signs, globes, ad glass and everything I can to make it original.
Is there a right or wrong way to restore... No... Just depends on the individual.

He made parts for his and has offered them here incase someone needed them to make the original style switch work. I had hours in doing mine and he made a few extra and is offering them to the site. I would have taken a set in a heart beat when I needed a set. LOL

ABCTrip Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
It's not a hard or easy issue I don't believe. I try to restore my pumps to the way they came or as close as possible given the availability of parts. I am offering a replacement part if someone wants one. Not everybody does things the same and I like the challenge of making parts to be honest. It doesn't matter the time or cost to me. I didn't post this for someone to tell me that I'm doing it wrong or there is a cheaper way. Look at my profile too and see what I do for a living. I know what a hot connection is. Thank you Jarvis it is nice to see others understand. I have told anybody that showed interest they we're free of charge. I hoped that maybe I was helping to make something not available.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It's my life.... Livin' on a prayer!

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Originally Posted By: ABCTrip
It's not a hard or easy issue I don't believe. I try to restore my pumps to the way they came or as close as possible given the availability of parts. I am offering a replacement part if someone wants one. Not everybody does things the same and I like the challenge of making parts to be honest. It doesn't matter the time or cost to me. I didn't post this for someone to tell me that I'm doing it wrong or there is a cheaper way. Look at my profile too and see what I do for a living. I know what a hot connection is. Thank you Jarvis it is nice to see others understand. I have told anybody that showed interest they we're free of charge. I hoped that maybe I was helping to make something not available.
As for the hot connection....a lot of guys on this site do not understand the term. I was trying to eliminate one of these folks from asking for a further explanation. Being an electrician, I'm sure you can understand? The way you restore your stuff is nice and you can do it which ever way that makes you happy. Mark and I were giving a general consensus on the way to save the hassle. As said, there is no exactly perfect answer to the repair. Personally, I can't believe that I've spent this much time and thought on an issue of this caliber? LOL! You'd think I had better things to do than this, huh? Paul www.severngaspumps.com

ABCTrip Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I agree. I had no intention of this ad turning into a agree to disagree thing. I spent a little time to make a part that someone might need. I have used a common switch on some pumps that had access doors, as well. I tend to take the extra time because the pumps are mine and like the challenge. We do appreciate the input and will consider the practicality before making any other pieces.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Abc, I appriciate your time to build something to make the original design switch to work. I restore my pumps to as original as possible.
Again, no right or wrong way! Goes along with painting a sky chief pump green and red. LOL

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I really appreciate the abilities of some of the members on this site, that have the know how and equipment to fabricate a replacement part when there aren't any originals available.
There are just too many scenarios where a small part for a pump is unavailable, but could be built with the proper equipment.
I, for one, don't have the talent or equipment to fabricate these pieces, and I am very grateful to many different members here on this site that do have that ability. I strive to fix and repair the broken and non working parts on my pumps with as close to original pieces, as possible.
It just wouldn't happen without these talented craftsmen!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
John,
Nice job. There are many times, when I wish I had the machines and know-how to fabricate an unavailable part. I like keeping everything as close to original, when possible, as well. That was very kind of you to offer the part to other members.
-Steve

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
I like the idea. Ingenuity . Nothing like making do. Hardly anything is "original " now days if it is vintage.
Even us old folks with re-placement part's aren't original anymore ! smile sorry to say.

Wanted TEXACO related items & SUNOCO related items .Signs -Globes et'c. Oil Cans - Grease cans .
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Heres an original on ebay! Looks pretty good!

Ebay# 321602417256

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved