Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
farmboy Offline OP
OP Offline
F
I was recently able to acquire a masonite sign advertising the seed that my grandfather and great-grandfather were distributors for years ago. It is identical to the one that I remember hanging at the farm. I have attached a picture. The original sign at the farm was bolted to a pole and there was a smaller (maybe 3"x22")masonite sign that hung below it that said " Distributed by....." I am wanting to hang this sign in my office in my farm shop but would like to duplicate the smaller masonite sign that had my grandparents name on it. I realize the sign is not anything too collectible but does have sentimental value to me. Does anyone know where I might be able to purchase a piece of weathered white masonite? It would need to be close to 3"x22" ? I have a local printer that could probably do that part of it. Thanks for any info.

ss sign (2).jpg
Last edited by farmboy; Tue Sep 30 2014 05:41 AM.
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
If no one has an old piece around, Masonite is still available in places like Home Depot. If you get the hardboard that is brown you could apply a mist coat of matte white paint to simulate the old bled through look. Don't use gloss as it won't match your sign.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
F
farmboy Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Thank you very much for passing this information along to me. If I cannot find a vintage piece, this is the route that I will try.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree with Paul said about finding masonite..I have tried this before as I collect farm ag signs..we were a Dekalb dealer in Iowa so I love the AG signs...I created one since my wife is a artist and we used Masonite as the base,..you just have to play with it to get the right look..good luck with your project.
Alan

Big Al`s Garage
Always looking for::
Veedol-Tydol-Tidex-Cycol-Tycol.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Tireflator Air Meter auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved