Click here for Original Gas Pump Plate auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Posted some pics of these neat "orange" ad glass pieces a while ago, when i was fortunate enough to obtain them from a great friend. Was surprised a month or so back when he presented to me the original Packing slip that he found from when they were delivered to the gas station in zelienople Pa on May 29th 1940 from the wayne pump company. Just thought i would share a bit of their history with some of you whom might enjoy seeing some provenance to go along with the seldom seen ad glass.

rsz_100_6230.jpg 100_6472.jpg 100_6473.jpg 100_6475.jpg

Looking for early valvoline, freedom-valvoline, franklin pa items, Galena

KEVIN
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Interesting that the receipt is still with them. They appear to have been installed due to the paint edge and the State weights & measures decal.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Correct you are Dave! The decal is stamped "butler Pa" and i think dated 1940 as well

Looking for early valvoline, freedom-valvoline, franklin pa items, Galena

KEVIN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great bit of history for sure and the paper work is in incredible shape as well.

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Does anyone know why Amoco called this regular grade gas "Orange"? Was the color of the gas orange? Hmmm, I should have asked Dick Bennett. He would have known! Always wondered about this when I owned some of these plates.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I believe, that like many oil companies in the 20s and 30s, they dyed American orange to make it stand out and sell better.

Good oil cans don't wait for people, people wait for them.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
After the 1925 health scare, any gasoline containing tetraethyl lead was required to be dyed. At the time only the highest quality grade was allowed to contain tetraethyl. In 1932 Ethyl Gasoline Corporation relaxed the requirements and allowed a lesser amount of tetraethyl lead be added to approved refiners regular grade products. American Gas, American Oil Company's regular grade product, became a leaded regular grade product at that time, and off and on during the 1930s the slogan "Orange American Gas" was used, in several marketing campaigns, referring to the orange dye used to indicate that the fuel had some lead content. Affiliate company Pan-AM went so far as to brand their regular grade product as Pan-Am Orange. As visible pumps were gradually phased out in the 1940s, the color dyes used became less visible and therefore less of an advertising factor.

Wayne Henderson
Petroleum Collectibles Monthly
Kernersville, NC
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Very nice!

Braden Splichal

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved