Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
KZ1000 #530253 Tue Apr 22 2014 07:42 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
KZ1000 no, never thought you (or anyone beside RHR)just hunted for signs and pumps. There is a difference being a few years removed from the era you are collecting and a few decades. I don't have anyone in my area that collects. There is also an advantage to "looked, found" when the market is NOT flooded with repops and foreign signs like it was just a mere 20 years ago. Many times what you found was legit, authentic and you could base future purchases off of that look and feel.

I do my research, including buying old photos of gas stations and roads that interest me. My garage door is covered with them. IN FACT the sign I have posted in the left hand column "Adamana" of my replies I found a picture of during my research in none other than Michael Wallis's Route 66 The Mother Road Book (see page 1).

I really enjoy the straight forward feedback, been a reader for many years (finally joined this year) and have learned alot. I am very appreciative of the many members here that freely share their knowledge. Thank you for those that do!

Aaron

Looking for National Old Trails Road Signs NOTR and Arizona State/US Route and Road Signs.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: AZ_66_Native
Agree with Sid. Speaking for myself....the "younger" generation only has access to sites like this. Many times they (myself included) are too busy working their boring jobs to be able to get out and attend the many shows and develop their networks. This is meant as a way to immerse yourself in something interesting, historic and perhaps, in some cases, a release from the immediate reality of the present day. When you are constantly met with remarks above, human nature is to go elsewhere.

Bull ***** We all started not knowing a damn thing. Got bit by the bug and with a passion to learn, Learned. One day at a time. Made plenty of mistakes. And keep putting one foot in front of the other. I still make mistakes and learn every day.Do you think your the only ones that have to work for a living?Sorry ,but something about this post strikes a nerve. If your thin skinned, then dont ask. There is an apprenticeship stage, ask Steve C. He wasnt too ashamed to ask questions and I've watched him learn plenty in a short time.
See this picture? -It books about collecting- lots of them- bought before there ever was an internet. You have no idea how much easier it is to learn today. You can have conversations about the hobby every day.
Its not human nature to quit when things get tough. Although there is a lot more of it going on "In the last twenty years".

reference books.JPG
Last edited by JimT; Tue Apr 22 2014 08:27 PM.
JimT #530272 Tue Apr 22 2014 08:40 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: JimT
Originally Posted By: AZ_66_Native
Agree with Sid. Speaking for myself....the "younger" generation only has access to sites like this. Many times they (myself included) are too busy working their boring jobs to be able to get out and attend the many shows and develop their networks. This is meant as a way to immerse yourself in something interesting, historic and perhaps, in some cases, a release from the immediate reality of the present day. When you are constantly met with remarks above, human nature is to go elsewhere.

Bull ***** We all started not knowing a damn thing. Got bit by the bug and with a passion to learn, Learned. One day at a time. Made plenty of mistakes. And keep putting one foot in front of the other. I still make mistakes and learn every day.Do you think your the only ones that have to work for a living?Sorry ,but something about this post strikes a nerve. If your thin skinned, then dont ask. There is an apprenticeship stage, ask Steve C. He wasnt too ashamed to ask questions and I've watched him learn plenty in a short time.
See this picture? -It books about collecting- lots of them- bought before there ever was an internet. You have no idea how much easier it is to learn today. You can have conversations about the hobby every day.
Its not human nature to quit when things get tough. Although there is a lot more of it going on "In the last twenty years".

boy, i remember those days! i was a computer hold out until 2000 (just didnt know anything about working one) going to the bookstore & ordering books since there werent any "in stock" in the store. searching the newspapers daily & buying the latest "trader" paper early each friday morning to get the best jump on new items before they sold. also had to buy a new hemmings motor news each month to scan the classifieds & look for new restoration parts vendors. it is MUCH easier now. probably the best part about the old days was you actually had to speak to people over the phone or face to face in conversation. i think too much gets taken the wrong way in print on a screen.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I guess I would be considered an old timer on here. I successfully operated my own service station back in the day and have been a member here for a long time.

I sincerely do not understand the approach of this older generation in regard to helping the young collectors.

You guys do understand hardly anyone reads books anymore for resources/information right? The office that I work in predominantly uses online resources to complete tasks. Go to the parts store and order a part...do they use a computer or a book? Go get your car worked on, is the tech using a manual or a computer? Taken any college courses lately???? Predominantly online research and exams.

It's 2014, new collectors are going to search out information using the tools of this generation. And guess where they land....here. I think that's pretty awesome. That is until some arrogant and out of touch senior citizen rips on them for not doing it the way they did back in the day.

We have a chance to pass on the passion, knowledge, and love of this hobby to the next generation. I hope we don't blow it.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Duane-please dont get the impression that I am insinuating that new collectors must buy books and turn off their computers. I'm just saying that so many people today think that everything should be easy. As fast as time goes it seems like not too long ago that I was young and I had a certain amount of that in me too. It rubbed me the wrong way that it seems Aaron (az66native) feels it was easier twenty years ago.It was late and it struck me enough to reply to it. Maybe thats not what he meant. On the contary to it being easier in the past I feel it is easier to learn now. Having websights/chatrooms, online auction results,ebay-more shows than ever and more collectors than ever.
It seems lots of people nowdays think they should have instant answers and instant collections. My point is that it just doesnt happen that way. Yes, maybe some guys had money come their way easier than others and could devote more time to playing in the hobby, but for the vast majority of us , that just wasnt the case. I tend to appreciate things in my life much more when I've had to acquire them through hard work. Whether it is a possesion, a relationship or knowledge.
Just like in "the real world" when they arrive "here" they are going to bump into folks they might not click with or who are having a bad day or who are going to call them on something they dont agree with. Lifes not a bed of roses. Just like you are calling me on what I posted. I can take it and I stand behind what I said.

Last edited by JimT; Wed Apr 23 2014 06:24 AM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Duane, Well said... I am one of the old (pre computer) collector farts...And to see kids getting into this hobby,who have never had full service stations in their lives is awesome. I will help them any way I can...Not all of them are flippers. To see younger people with the passion I had years ago when I started is great.

Looking for Keystone,Pure,Sinclair,Texaco,Sterling and Gulf...Thanks, Brian
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Ohio, spoken like a gentleman.

As to the original posters question, it's like deja vu. I remember asking this exact question myself when I first discovered the hobby and this site. I don't remember how bad I got slammed at the time. Probably was one of my usual scoldings that commonly took place back then. Now they only happen about 50% of my questions. grin I still think it would be a good idea if there was such a board of experts that you could send your sign to and it would come back to you stamped on the back or something. Or maybe they would be at shows and authenticate pieces. But knowing how big the hobby is it is just not practical. And I see that now.

As for the passing on of information, which is the subject that this thread seems to have migrated to, it goes both ways. There are those that offer up info pretty liberally and there are those that play it close to the chest. It's all good either way. But to you OP I will say, you will have to do more than just ask questions here on this site. Like Jim said, buy books! Dont wait for the movie!! And browse the internet. Look at pictures anywhere you can. There is a lot to learn, it won't happen over night.

And one other thought. It would have been nice to live my adult years prior to computers and cell phones and all the hustle and bustle that goes along with this present day world. But on the other hand, I sure am glad I live in the computer era when it comes to this hobby. Working full time, being married, taking care of a house.... There is no way I could be in this hobby like I am and do it like the old timers used to have to do it. You guys surely had it a lot tougher. Not to mention, that back in the day walking uphill both ways to school stuff. That had to suck!

Last edited by Steve C.; Wed Apr 23 2014 06:24 AM.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
With no shoes.

JimT #530332 Wed Apr 23 2014 06:33 AM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
According to my dad, they had shoes. But there was cardboard covering the holes in them. grin

Last edited by Steve C.; Wed Apr 23 2014 06:34 AM.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
JimT #530345 Wed Apr 23 2014 07:34 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Aaron (az66native) feels it was easier twenty years ago.It was late and it struck me enough to reply to it. Maybe thats not what he meant. On the contary to it being easier in the past I feel it is easier to learn now. Having websights/chatrooms, online auction results,ebay-more shows than ever and more collectors than ever.

Just like in "the real world" when they arrive "here" they are going to bump into folks they might not click with or who are having a bad day or who are going to call them on something they dont agree with. Lifes not a bed of roses. Just like you are calling me on what I posted. I can take it and I stand behind what I said. [/quote]

NOPE, never said it was easier and I will agree with your point that information is more easily available to all in this hobby today. I was collecting when I was 15 "PRE" internet (don't laugh you should see what I dug up as a teenager). I was trying to state it is different today...and Duane hit the nail on the head with his post so no further explanation needed there.

As far as the real world and calling them on something they say; I doubt anyone would be brazen enough to reply "Collecting signs is a little different then breeding sheepdogs." to a new/young collector asking a question for the first time in the real world.

The kid's grandfather apparently passed on and left him some stuff. Evidently the grandfather never took the time to share his knowledge either.

Aaron

Looking for National Old Trails Road Signs NOTR and Arizona State/US Route and Road Signs.
Keep in mind that generalizations are not fair about generations. There certainly are grouchy, sarcastic old men. But not all older folks are like that. Those traits are found across all age groups. Not all young members are concerned about flipping to make the most quick cash that they can. Most are real collectors who are trying to learn about and enjoy the hobby.

Let's put our big-boy pants on and treat each other with respect. Questioners, take the info offered and ignore the less pleasant remarks. How about everyone being as decent to each other as you would like to be treated in a face-to-face conversation?

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved