Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Wes Hague #528393 Tue Apr 15 2014 08:49 AM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Originally Posted By: Wes Hague
It seems like buyers don't want to have to do any research of any kind or get educated on what they want to buy and collect.. now all the stuff has to be clearly marked , reproduction and dated, is it old or is it new, and how old is it, 35 years old ( which is about when they started reproducing gasoline collectibles )now what country is it from, Europe, Canadian, USA, Asian, is it priced too high, if it's to low maybe it's a fake... common guys,, do you need to be lead by the hand and baby sat when spending your money..do your homework,, put some of your own effort into buying.. don't be a bunch of winer's...the guy's right, if you don't want it, don't buy it..

Great words Wes ,
If you dont like it, dont buy it!
Move on and state that IMO it's fake.
I have many things in my collectionthat may or may not be fake but I like them and thats all that matters!!

www.trifivechevys.com
www.knifegates.com

Looking to buy Sealed Power Piston rings ITEM's
Archived Forum Area

These topics are archived because they are older. You may not post new replies. Contact member through their email in their Profile or by PM message.
Help with contacting members

Wes Hague #528394 Tue Apr 15 2014 08:50 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...well - for example - when you have established sellers intentionally trying to pass off Argentinian repros as original pieces, it gets confusing - which is bad for the hobby...

Last edited by gulfiend!; Tue Apr 15 2014 08:51 AM.

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
gulfiend! #528395 Tue Apr 15 2014 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
....deception is the cloak under which crooks hide. Foolish are the people that buy into their deceptive ways.

If I am to believe your lies; and in fact, you have sold 30-40 signs on this forum. Then, how about paying back to this site and making a donation to Oldgas.com. Or, are you simply a ***** and a user....

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
gulfiend! #528396 Tue Apr 15 2014 09:03 AM
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
Well if your that confused maybe it's time you got out of the hobby.. What happens on this site and I've heard it from many members on OLDGAS, all this criticizing and complaining about the sellers and what is old and what is reproduction on here is turning a lot of them off ,, Just sayin,,
I still say , " If you don't like it , don't buy it "
Same as when you go to an auction sale, lots of guys buy reproduction items and don't know the difference, hell a lot of the auctioneers don't even know what is or isn't,, the buyers go home happy , hang it up and are quite proud of what they bought,, who are we to tell them they paid too much for something,, all you do is make them feel bad and you go home feeling proud of yourself at their expense. We need to mind our own business...

Wes.......
Wes Hague #528400 Tue Apr 15 2014 09:18 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Well said, Wes...

Wanted: Champion Spark plug, Shell, Pennzoil, Kendall, and Woco Pep signs...Dale Stephens
Dale Stephens #528403 Tue Apr 15 2014 09:35 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
As far as I know, the sign in this post is original.
I for one would want someone to tell me if I was bidding on or bought a fake.
I see no way to justify deceptive sellers.
If a new collector gets burned a few times, they may leave the hobby.
Doing your own research will not leave you with a for sure answer every time.
No foul for asking for help.
By "not minding your buisness", you may save your friends some money.

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Wes Maxwell #528404 Tue Apr 15 2014 09:42 AM
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
I agree Wes,,, except the one line,,

getting any and all opinions here ( OLDGAS ) won't guarantee you the correct answer every time either, in fact a lot of the time it will leave you more confused ..There are NO experts on here, just opinions, "some right and some wrong"... most people will pick the one that they want to be right to suit their circumstance.

Last edited by Wes Hague; Tue Apr 15 2014 09:45 AM.

Wes.......
Wes Maxwell #528406 Tue Apr 15 2014 09:50 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Wes Maxwell

...right on...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Wes Maxwell #528407 Tue Apr 15 2014 10:08 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Wes Maxwell
As far as I know, the sign in this post is original.

Thank you for that statement Wes ! As a "newbie" I (and I'm sure others) really appreciate that attitude. I do read, study, and investigate items I'm interested in however its just a fact that most of this kind of knowledge has to be "taught" by those with hands on experience so to speak, book knowledge can get you only so far. I have been VERY fortunate to have some of the experts in my brand of choice help me out and allowed me to ask any and all questions no matter how silly, and never told me once to "figure it out yourself" You guys know who you are, THANK YOU !! Also ignorance is not bliss, I've been told that some of the items I paid good money for were fake, was I upset ? sure but not at being told about it, upset I wasted money on junk. I was happy to take that stuff off my wall ! If some of you guys don't want to help out "newbies" or protect the hobby by calling out liars and cheaters than don't, but don't discourage those that do, I for one appreciate them !

Pete
63shelby #528414 Tue Apr 15 2014 11:09 AM
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Well I am going to wade in. There is nothing in the ad that seems to mislead anyone. Should the seller put on there that it is foreign, probably so if either he knew or thought that it was needed. How though can you hold this seller responsible for something that a question to him and given the chance to answer would work. I am certainly not schooled in this porcelain field and would not know one from the other, but a simple question to him and posting the answer would work.
Just a thought.

Craig
Craig Osbeck #528415 Tue Apr 15 2014 11:19 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
back to the focus on this sign...

known facts:
-Sign is Foreign

unknown facts:
-Is sign original or fantasy (newer Argentina made)

to help figure this out, pictures of the back should be posted.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Craig Osbeck #528416 Tue Apr 15 2014 11:27 AM
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
I prefer to not get involved in these discussions but I think people are missing the point that this seller pops up every few months with the same or similar stuff and each time is asked to fully disclose what he is selling. This is not the first time oldgas has asked jgoff to tell everyone his signs are foreign/questionable.

Jgoff, you may be the nicest and most honest guy in the world, I never met you nor have I bought anything from so I am not judging you but I do not understand why we repeat this same argument every time you list something, just put in your ad that your sign is foreign when you initially list it..

jbrooks #528417 Tue Apr 15 2014 11:29 AM
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
here is a thread from a few months ago with the same exact discussion

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.p...true#Post501768

jbrooks #528418 Tue Apr 15 2014 11:41 AM
J
jgoff Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
J
I don't argue or start any trouble everyone else just goes off the deep end. If you have question about a sign im selling just ask its that simple. Iys ridiculous how the people on here act when they are just collectors not experts. People have tried to trash me and just get me to give up I guess. everyone has the right to post their opinion and that's fine but there comes a point in time when it gets ridiculous. people should just ask the buyer if they have any questions before they get us started a bunch of ***** on the forums and yes I would be glad to donate to the oldgas website, its the rude and ignorant people that cause the issues on this website it's a very simple process And these people try to make it into something completely different if you like the item ask the seller any questions you have about it and buy if you want or dont it's that simple.everyone thinks their so called experts and it's ridiculous

Wes Hague #528432 Tue Apr 15 2014 01:37 PM
Online Cool
As a member noted, we have gone though this same discussion about a similar sign from the same seller. I'm not surprised that the same situation yielded the same result. I'm baffled as to why the seller didn't state what he knew about the origin of this sign after the discussion that occurred with his prior sign.

The For Sale Guidelines has this line:
"If there are special circumstances involved with the sale, be upfront in disclosing any situation that could concern a buyer, rather than having it come out later."

I think most buyers would want to know if a sign is foreign to the USA. Perhaps they want signs from other countries in their collection. Or they could be upset if the sign turned out to be from a country other than they expected.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved