Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
OP Offline
M
Though some of you might enjoy seeing what I have done when I tried everything else with no luck in the search for missing and broken parts from pumps I am bring back to there former glory...

Takes a little time to get them right and it certainly helps if you have an old part, but all and all I am pleased with my success...

Mike

IMG_1224.jpg
original one

IMG_2347.jpg
3D printed one

IMG_2357.jpg IMG_2367.jpg
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
M
OP Offline
M
and here are a couple more items....

Also did some old Sunoco letters like were on the building only smaller for my garage
Mike

IMG_2368.jpg IMG_2428.jpg IMG_2430.jpg IMG_2431.jpg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Well, first of all, I'm surprised that there are not more comments on your post. Maybe everyone is stunned like I am. This is great. I don't know how to get access to a digital printer? What kind of business would have this machine? How hard would I have to talk to get them to make a part like this for me, and what could I expect to pay for the time/material to make a part? Is this realistic to use, or is Jay Leno the only one that can afford something like this? Thanks for sharing.

Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
oltoydoc@vintagegas.com
(310)415-9562 Cel.
Vintage Gas
N
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
N
3d printing works very well! I've made some face bezels and painted em and you can't tell a bit of difference unless you pick it up! Very nice way to fab a part that otherwise takes forever to cast or machine.

A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
I'm really liking that Sunoco sign. Nice work.

Ed
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
From what I understand the prices have dropped substantially for 3D printing machines. The caveat is in order to produce a good quality piece you need good quality input files. A 3D scanner or cad/cam programs are a necessity if you plan to be a DIYer I believe.

Maybe Mike can fill us in on what he did on that side of the equation.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Check out your public library for 3D printers. The one where I work requires our library card and an appointment, and charges by the gram of plastic used. The staff prints out the file.
Seriously, I must lack imagination. The only thing I could think to make were Sinclair dinos!

Edited to add--we have a turntable/scanner to scan the item, and we also can print from pre-generated files.

Last edited by Maps for the memories; Tue Apr 15 2014 06:39 AM.
I
I
3D printing is bringing a lot of options to obsolete parts. Great work man. Love that sign!

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved