Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
OP Offline
G

I was wondering of any of you could enlighten me about my first authentic Petroliana find here in the Netherlands! Ever since I was little, I've been enamored with the Flying Red Horse and have several reproduction versions hanging around the garden. Finding the real thing here made me audibly gasp, and I snatched it up in a heartbeat!

[Linked Image]

I've been trying to google and find more about the age of this can, but I have utterly failed to find the same can anywhere online. My only idea at the moment is since it only mentions "Vacuum" and not "Socony" is that this is from before their merger in 1931-1934? Every can online that I have seen with this shape and only "Vacuum" however has been with the Gargoyle, and not the Pegasus. I'm quite confused! Has anyone here seen one like this?

Here's a Gallery of all four sides of the can. It's still filthy, and in the exact state I bought it in. The white spot on the first picture is where I removed the price sticker, which removed the layer of grime. It's that filthy! I will be doing my homework to see how to clean it asap --- or should I leave it as is?

A bonus bit about the can, and what made me doubly fall in love with it, is that the Dutch text mostly goes on and on about how you should be vary wary of people trying to sell you fake Mobiloil, and that you should only use oil where the station attendant breaks the seal under your watchful eye. Accept no imitations! smile

Thank you all for any info you can provide. I'm still so excited to have found anything with the Flying Horse here. One day I'll find a real porcelain sign... one day!

Cheers,
-Heather

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...the can dates from the postwar era...best to use some dish detergent to clean it up, as it's not to harsh...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
as gulfiend said, from after WWII but not younger than 1955 when the company name changed to Mobil Oil Co, world wide.

G
OP Offline
G
Thank you both for the insight. Do either of you know why it does not mention Socony at all?

Last edited by Grizamel; Mon Jan 21 2019 09:46 AM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted by Grizamel
Thank you both for the insight. Do either of you know why it does not mention Socony at all?

Socony Vacuum was the name of the US-based company, each foreign arm was given a different name specific to the area. For instance, Swedish cans from the 50s display the Vacuum Oil Co AB name, no Socony mention.

Great find btw!

Last edited by RedHat; Mon Jan 21 2019 09:54 AM.

Looking for Michelin items + NJ oil company related items (Mohawk, Guardian, Whiz, etc) + animal-related petroliana + Gargoyle/Shell/Sinclair items
G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by RedHat

Socony Vacuum was the name of the US-based company, each foreign arm was given a different name specific to the area. For instance, Swedish cans from the 50s display the Vacuum Oil Co AB name, no Socony mention.

That makes perfect sense. Thanks so much!

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved