Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#663929 Sat Aug 20 2016 01:45 PM
A
OP Offline
A
I am restoring a 1920’s American visible gas pump and need some information regarding the lighting hookup or configuration. I have the 3/8” pipe that the electrical wire is inserted that feeds into the top metal ring with the glass insert. Once the 3/8” pipe terminates at the top, how does the porcelain light socket attach to the 3/8’ pipe? Does the light bulb sit in the middle of the top glass or to the side? Does anyone have a picture of the top electrical light socket and pipe? Thanks

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
The conduit pipe has a 90 degree elbow that lays the pipe horizontal. Attach the porcelain light with the bulb laying across the cylinder glass window. This was the correct configuration. Only ambient light came through the globe on top. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

A
OP Offline
A
Thanks for the information! Does the light lay in the middle of the cylinder glass window or to the side and how much space is there between the cylinder glass window and the light bulb? Thanks again.

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
The light lays in the center of the window and should be an inch or more above the glass. You can adjust this through the plumbing you are using. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

A
OP Offline
A
Thanks Paul. I really appreciate it.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Gasman,
I'm confused by your statement that "only ambient light comes through the globe on top". On my pump (an American 2487-V) the light bulb lays where you said (above the chicken wire glass on the top of the jar lid) but then on my pump there is a hole in the decorative "hat" on the top of the pump between the jar lid and the globe. So, the light from the bulb shines down through the chicken wire glass to light up the fuel in the cylinder and UP through the hole in that hat to light up the globe.

BrianH

Brian H
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
The UP light is...Ambient light....Not a direct lighting fixture to light the globe but ambient light from the one light bulb, as you described it above. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
OK Paul...I just misunderstood what you meant by ambient. No problem.

BrianH

Brian H

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved