Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A friend took one of these signs out of the original harp recently.The sign did not have grommets.

Also,repros with the Veribrite stamp are known!

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Four of the 30-inch Phillips 66 signs were sold in the Morphy Auction this weekend. All (2 Veribrite, 2 IR)had grommets and the two marked IR had the 2 small holes on the bottom edge. The sign depicted in Warman's Gas Station Collectibles shows the extra bottom holes but no manufacturer (only one side shown). Joe

J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
The spacing of the smaller holes on your sign does bother me since they seem closer than for the examples I referenced. For example, the bottom hole on the right should be more or less plumb with the "s". On your sign it looks like it more lines up with the second "p". I'm not sure if that's just distortion in the image. I'll be interested to hear what your friend has to say.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Well, I went to my friends today and looked at his signs. They all had some chips in the black. All of it obviously porcelain, as they were chips, not scratches. All had obvious shelving between colors. More to follow....

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Her is a larger sign in bracket with 2 holes at the bottom. I have a similar 30" sign to your sig that I absolutely regard as authentic, holes on bottom.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Veribrite were making them until early 50's and then SPS took over in the mid 50's to 60's (red/white sign).

Yes, this is correct to a point. I have an orange and black 30" that is marked with the SPS and I had an orange and black with white outer border that was marked SPS. The latter one was used in 1957 only according to some of the guides that are out there.

The signs were not ALL made by Veribrite and IR.....Dale

Wanted: Champion Spark plug, Shell, Pennzoil, Kendall, and Woco Pep signs...Dale Stephens
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Jamie and Dale - Thank you for the replies.

The holes are not a huge concern for me. The biggest concern is that the black portion of the sign is not porcelain. It is extremely thin. If you look at the second and sixth picture (the 'P' and the '6') you can clearly see the black was scratched off when it was damaged (and I don't care that there was damage, I expected that). However,Porcelain is tough stuff and doesn't scratch off leaving the color below it behind. It usually chips off and takes the color below with it, if it is deep enough of a hit.

Even on the deep hits on this sign, such as the one in my fourth picture, you can see the thickness of the orange as the chip proceeds outward (which is porcelain), and then the black just 'flaked off' [for lack of a better term] with no thickness.

Also, there is virtually no shelving at all between colors.

I've started the process and the good news is, it sounds like the seller is going to refund my money. Which is honorable of him/her.

One last thing, I forgot to thank Advertologist for posting the correct links earlier, since mine did not work. Thank you Randy.

Last edited by Speedracer; Fri Jul 29 2016 02:55 PM.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved