Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#654172 Wed Apr 27 2016 10:41 AM
S
OP Offline
S
Hi all,
As I watched the Morphy auction this past weekend I found myself interested in the pump globes. I know zero about these items, is there a good book out that shows the globes and the history and locations of the gas named? Some really catch the eye and watching the prices others as well. thanks for any info.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
signs i like #654174 Wed Apr 27 2016 10:52 AM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Not sure if these are still in hard copy but there are two books by Scott Benjamin and Wayne Henderson on the subject? Simply titles Gas Globes. I have heard that they now offer the history in disc form? Paul www.severngaspumps.com

signs i like #654175 Wed Apr 27 2016 11:06 AM
The 2016 Gas Pump Globes e-book by Scott Benjamin and Wayne Henderson has 6000 globes, pictured with values, rarity and company history. A great resource you can put on your Kindle, tablet or smart phone to take with you when you are out on the hunt.

Info & order:
http://pcmpublishing.com/shop/products.php?cat=7

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
signs i like #654177 Wed Apr 27 2016 11:41 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
i will add... the Globe Book is the single best reference for company histories, IMO

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
signs i like #654179 Wed Apr 27 2016 11:47 AM
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks, I will check on above info. I can't afford signs and globes but will be interesting to see where they all came from.

signs i like #654183 Wed Apr 27 2016 12:25 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By signs i like
Thanks, I will check on above info. I can't afford signs and globes but will be interesting to see where they all came from.

original globes can be bought for as little as around $200. I have about 35 globes in my small collection. All my globes are "common" globes and not worth a lot but that is all I can afford. I find I can now buy globes cheaper than signs...

Got Socony???

Tom
BryceG #654198 Wed Apr 27 2016 03:41 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By BryceG
i will add... the Globe Book is the single best reference for company histories, IMO

I agree.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
signs i like #654202 Wed Apr 27 2016 04:27 PM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I bought the cd thinking it was just a value guide which would have be fine with me, but I was amazed at how much information is on that cd. they sure have a lot of time invested . so glad I purchased it. I use it quite often for reference. very interesting to read

signs i like #654225 Thu Apr 28 2016 01:41 AM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
A history of books, etc.:

Back in the early 1980s Ed Love published some basically newsletters about the hobby. They featured stories about pumps, etc. He had a number of titles, some of them were "Check The Oil."

Also, in the 1980s, Scott Benjamin published what I believe was the first book about collecting petroleum items. Scott and I have often talked about our books and he told me his old 1980s book has sold over 33,000 copies and he still receives a few dollars royalties every time a few sell.

Somewhere in the 1980 Bob Lee published a few books about gas pumps. Black & white pictures of pumps.

Ed Love continued his publications into the 1980s. Since I really don't know the story, something went on about Ed Love, "Check the Oil" magazine and Iowa Gas. From this we now have the "CTO" swap meet in Columbus, Ohio, and Iowa Gas in DesMoines, Iowa. At this time Ed Love was publishing a periodical called the "Tigar Rag."

Tim Dye, took over the writing and publishing of "Tiger Rag." He made it a monthly publication with color. Unfortunately, he was only able to published 24 monthly issues, I believe he just didn't have enough followers, even while his publication was excellent. It was a little slanted more to about oil companies and cans, but it was interesting.

In the late 1980, the "Check the Oil" club and magazine was taken over by Jerry Keyser of Columbus, Ohio. Somewhere in the late 1990's I started writing gas pump articles for CTO.

Interjecting a piece of Petro history, Jerry Keyser is credited with having invented the word "petrolinia."

In 1996 I published my first book. It was about air meters and I only had 200 copies printed, but it was a start. It only identified 75 air meters.

After 2000 Scott Benjamin and Wayne Henderson started creating books. Scott's specialty was globes and Wayne's specialty was, well just being very good at a lot of things, oil company histories, globes you name it. When you meet him you will find out how knowledgeable he is about anything petro. They combined to form a monthly publication called "PCM." At this time, Scott Benjamin started writing articles about gas pumps. I am not a globe person, but they have combined to write I believe three books about globes and even offering them on a CD.

In 2002 I came out with my first "Gas Pump Identification" book. Looking back it was not a very good book, but it was a start. It did sell 10,000 copies.

A few years later I decided to write the 2nd Edition of the Gas Pump book. While it was in being printed I also wrote the 2nd Edition of the Air Meter Identification book. This time I identified 450 air meters. The 2nd gas pump book also sold about 10,000 copies.

Since I do not have copies of these books so I don't know the dates they were printed I will just state what I remember.

Two different people wrote books on oil cans. One was collector from Lawrence, Kansas (please forgive me I can't remember your name). I believe his book was somewhat a continuation of what Ed Love had started.

The other book on cans was actually two books, Vol. I, & II. written by a man and a woman, whose names I cannot remember.

Some sign books were also published during this time, the one I remember was nothing but going to a large collection, taking pictures of the signs and putting them in a book.

One more person, I should also mention is Rick Piese. He wrote a number of books (I can't remember how many) but they were mostly about what we call "smalls."

Also during this time some books came out that specialized on the histories and items that were from a particular oil company. I know at least two books were published about Gulf, and there were a number of books about other oil companies collectibles.

In 2013 I was asked to write a third edition of my gas pump books. At age 78 I never though I would write another book so I hadn't prepared anything (meaning after I wrote the 2nd book I quit collecting pictures/literature about any pumps that were not in the 2nd book). I made a big mistake, I said I could write a 3rd book in six months. It is now 2 years, 6 months since that time, but I really think I have written the best thing I ever did.

I know this is not entirely correct and any of you can correct anything I have said, or add any information I did not include, it is just what I remember.

The best thing that has come along that has lasted for almost 26 years is this website. This has been a continuing thing, not a book that is 6 years old, and in case you don't know his name the creator is Jim Potts, who started all this. Basically this has been a non-profit endeavor. I will also say this about Jim, every time we run into each other he will have a smile on his face. While I am the type of person who wants to tell you I wrote some gas pump books, Jim never seem to mention anything about all the work he has done to keep this website going.

Jim, thank you.

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Thu Apr 28 2016 01:52 AM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Jack Sim #654237 Thu Apr 28 2016 06:06 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By Jack Sim

The best thing that has come along that has lasted for almost 26 years is this website. This has been a continuing thing, not a book that is 6 years old, and in case you don't know his name the creator is Jim Potts, who started all this. Basically this has been a non-profit endeavor. I will also say this about Jim, every time we run into each other he will have a smile on his face. While I am the type of person who wants to tell you I wrote some gas pump books, Jim never seem to mention anything about all the work he has done to keep this website going.

Jim, thank you.

Jack Sim

Well said Jack!

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

signs i like #654243 Thu Apr 28 2016 06:51 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great book history, Jack. I think I have all the books mentioned plus a few and use them all the time. I was given the PCM magazine as a Christmas present when it was first issued and have kept every issue.

signs i like #654287 Thu Apr 28 2016 01:00 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jeff Spanier wrote the first Gas Pump Globes in 1979. It was 5" x 8" and 54 pages. Compare that to the latest CD by Benjamin and Henderson that lists 6000 globes.

Benjamin and Henderson's 1st globe book has a 1993 copyright.

The oil can books were written by Clark Miller and Sabra Sonewald.

The other oil can book was Written by Tom and Susan Allen.

There are several books on single brands. The best being the one on Standard Oil Of New Jersey written by Sam Mcintyre.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved