Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
E
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
E
Hey all, I just got a pump with a nice older restoration on it. I just want to remove that big old ugly repop vinyl sticker from the front. It was supposedly redone in the mid 1980's. The pump was never outdoors so I hope to not find any fading underneath. However I dont want to damage the paint. After a little research removing stickers from cars most people suggest hair dryer on low and heat it up. Hoping to know the best way to do this from people that have done it in the past with success. Thanks

Mainly focused on Oilzum, Jenney, Harris Oil items & original paint gas pumps.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I removed vinyl stickers from my four-wheeler with a hair dryer. Worked like a charm. The stickers were brittle and broke off in little chunks without it. They came off in one big piece with the hair dryer. The surface was plastic, but should work just the same on your pump, as long as they didn't clear coat over the stickers.

As far as damaging the paint is concerned that's hit or miss. Only one way to find out. You can always cover it back up with a new sticker or PP.

Last edited by Speedracer; Tue Feb 09 2016 06:52 PM.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The concern I have when removing stickers like this is if there are spots of poor adhesion between the metal-primer-paint that will peel up on you while removing sticker. Pulling the decal away at a sharp angle helps prevent this. Avoid popping the sticker straight up from the surface.

Hitting the area with a buffer post removal will hopefully blends things together.

There's also a possibility that the vinyl adhesive used on the decal etches the paint a little.

Last edited by Paul Bell; Wed Feb 10 2016 07:13 AM.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved