Next Thread
Print Thread
#96434 Sun Aug 21 2005 06:50 AM
D
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
D
Potter, Nebraska is located in the southwest part of the panhandle of Nebraska on Highway 30 or the Lincoln Highway as it is sometimes called. Many of the old stations have been torn down but thought I'd have Doc post a couple of pics of two that are still being used. One is still operating as a TEXACO and the other is one used as an antique store owned by Dale Dedic, ebay seller "potter coyote". His Grand father operated this station in the 30's. Dale is very active on a committee to beautify, restore (oversees the Potter museum) and attract people to live in the small town of Potter. Potter is about a 15 minute commute for several Cabelas employees in nearby Sidney.
My Great Grand Father, an immigrant from Sweden, ran a general store here in Potter, homesteaded a farm in neighboring Banner Co. and was a State Senator in the late 20's.
If you are passing through Nebraska on I 80 take a few minutes and stop in for a visit in some of these small towns, many struggling to survive, but rich in history.
Have a GR8 Day!
Rod

------------------

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#96435 Sun Aug 21 2005 08:28 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
POSTING ROD'S PICS IN CONJUNCTION WITH THE ABOVE STORY:

Another pic of the Texaco in Potter and another not so fortunate station between Potter and Sidney in what I believe is about all that is left of the old town of Bronson.  Only the Wright-Lorenz grain elevator accross the highway is now operating.  Thanks to the switch from the steam Locomotive to Diesel and I 80 alot of these small towns along the Union Pacific RR  and the Lincoln Highway are gone and almost forgotten.
Rod

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
#96436 Sun Aug 21 2005 08:52 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A few years ago, I drove Hwy 30 thru Neb. on my way to IG. There are more old station buildings still standing than on old Rt. 66 [in any one state].
db

#96437 Sun Aug 21 2005 01:17 PM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
hey rod, last time I was up that road to sidney I stopped in that town with the station (by the white semi) and there was a ms 80 with conoco pump plates. Stop by the shop to the east of the truck and that guy had tons of pumps and signs. It may be worth a trip if he is still there...

Scott
Wanted- Powerine and Powerlube items!

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved