Print Thread
#9347 Sat Dec 01 2001 08:20 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hey Guys: Can anyone tell me why my 615 Wayne has a blue tinted cylinder instead of clear glass? I have seen several pumps with this type, and am curious to the reason for it. Also, I still need info on my 619 Wayne, parts diagram, and anything else.

Thanks in advance.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#9348 Sat Dec 01 2001 02:49 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Dear Dspair,
Most likely what you have is a cylinder that is "sun colored amethyst". In order to make the glass clear, usually prior to WWI, they added manganese to the glass. The actual color depends on the amount of manganese and the time in the sun.
Hope this helps.

Good luck,
Ed

#9349 Sun Dec 02 2001 06:38 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Some gas pump company's ordered the glass tinted to block the effects of the sun turning the gas a milky color. As most oil company's added a dye to the gasoline, claiming that their gasoline was superior to the compitions. RE: GILMORE'S BLU-GREEN GASOLINE, or SIGNAL'S PUR PULL [purple].

#9350 Thu Dec 06 2001 12:58 PM
I
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I
Actually, Dick, I think you'll find that die was normally added to product in order to identify it. The Texas Company, for example, used a copperish-red color in FIRE CHIEF and a purplish color in Sky Chief. One of the first things my Dad tought me when I started helping him make gasoline deliveries was to "always check the color of your product".

Quote:
Originally posted by Dick Bennett:
Some gas pump company's ordered the glass tinted to block the effects of the sun turning the gas a milky color. As most oil company's added a dye to the gasoline, claiming that their gasoline was superior to the compitions. RE: GILMORE'S BLU-GREEN GASOLINE, or SIGNAL'S PUR PULL [purple].

Jim Hinds
Columbus, Indiana

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved