Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#92947 Sat Apr 01 2006 09:24 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member

This article is dedicated to the pursuit of the Power-Lube tiger. Not a rare animal, but very desirable and highly sought after by collectors. The great graphics on their signs and cans started at 11 original company owned stations that were later distributed to over 450 stations, from the Rocky Mountain region and to the west coast. Today the old stuff is hard to find and usually expensive when you find it. Here is the tale of the tiger…Happy Hunting!

It was founded as “The Denver Powerine Company” on February 7, 1913, in Denver, Co. The original incorporators were J.R.Ross, W.S.Dawson, and Arther Ponsford. The charter gives the purposes, as to “buy, sell, and deal in, job and distribute gasoline, naphtha, kerosene and other petroleum products. The authorized capital stock was 50,000 shares, at a par value of $1.00. Fred Cramer a miner who had made his fortune in Breckenridge Colorado during the gold rush took over Powerine after only 6 months of operation. The “Power-Lube” brand name was introduced almost immediately, and that was joined by “Autocrat” in 1917. In 1918 the change to the final form, “AutOKrat”, was re-registered. The final form of Power-Lube was registered in 1925 (Tiger, lettering style, colors, etc.). Powerine was just as creative when it came to marketing their gasoline by using a Bearcat that represented the high test gasoline. Low end gasoline went by the name Crystal while mid grade was called "72" as in 72 octane. They added a fourth grade when an Ethyl blended product by the name of Bearcat Ethyl. They advertised this new product with some very popular but hard to find matchbooks showing the Bearcat and Ethyl getting married.

By March 1919, the par value of the stock had been raised to $5.00. The Cramer family also incorporated “The Powerine Company of California”, in the 1920’s, which was to engage in exploration, development, refining, transportation, and marketing in Arizona, California, and Nevada, and investment in real estate. They also incorporated the “Powerine Marketers, Inc.” to take over marketing in the states of Colorado, Montana, New Mexico, South Dakota, Utah, and Wyoming.

The company realized the advantages, at the time, of marketing Pennsylvania motor oil and they were fairly early member of the Pennsylvania Grade Crude Oil Association. Their signs and cans bore the organization’s “football-shaped” symbol with the permit #127.

On April 8, 1927 the company name was officially changed to “The Powerine Company”.

The end was in sight in 1945, when The Powerine Company, The Powerine Company of California, and Powerine Marketers, Inc. were completely bought out by a Jersey Standard subsidery-Penola. Penola immediately registered the Oval E trademark and started rebranding the 450+ Powerine stations and redesigning all the product containers. The end of Powerine came in with the beginning of 1946, with the acquisition of all it’s assets by the Carter Oil Company. The Carter Oval E signage disappeared around 1959, as it evolved into the Enco brand. Only five employees were offered severance packages because they were greater the 50 years of age. The compensation packages were less then $5,000 for each person depending on how many years they had worked at Powerine.

The Powerine stations, that operated in the Los Angeles area since that time, have nothing to do with the Cramer family or Jersey Standard/Exxon. They were operated by what had been the Rothchild Oil Company. Rothchild simply changed their name and re-registered the Powerine name when it was abandoned by Exxon in 1972. Definitely not to be confused with the Rocky Mountain Powerine. The artwork on their colorful cans has electrons orbiting around a large atom, with their name in the nucleus. The porcelain pump plates were a simple white background with red lettering.

The PowerLube porcelain signs are out there in number, and are very popular and sought after by collectors. The rare thing to find is a PowerLube or Powerine sign in excellent or better condition. There is the story of an irrigation ditch discovered outside of Pueblo, CO that was lined with Power-Lube signs. The owner sold them to a scrap metal dealer, and they were probably destined to be melted down at the big C.F.&I. steel refinery in Pueblo. A sign collector found them in the scrap yard, and was literally buying Power-Lube signs by the pound! He hauled them out to Iowa Gas, and resold them all to other sign collectors. I think that is why so many signs you see have that “white haze” damage, which will almost never buff out. They were once one of the many ditch signs, submerged underwater years ago, and oxidized with age. Another PowerLube sign discovery has surfaced recently on Ebay. The seller is putting about one sign a week up for auction, and has been selling them for quite a few weeks, maybe months. Soon we will here the story behind this great find!

The common porcelain signs were made by at least 2 different manufacturers, the Wolverine Porcelain Company (with white-outlined letters) and the ENESCO Company (without the white-outlining). The common size is the 24”x28” two-sided sign. They also made a reflector-ized tin sign, in that same size, which was used as a curb sign. An original curb sign in it's wrought iron frame was discovered at the annual Big-3 Swap Meet in San Diego, at the Charger Stadium. It is held every February. There was also a small embossed, one-sided tin sign from the Cork & Badge Company, St.Louis, MO, however, to date only one sign known to exist. An interesting Ebay find!

Beware of the tin and porcelain signs from the AAA-Sign Company!!! They are all Reproductions, no matter how beat up they are! For that matter, never buy a sign from the Desperate Sign Company either! All Repros!

The most beautiful would probably be the big 3ft by 5ft 2-sided porcelain dealership sign. It is hard to find in excellent condition or better, but What a Sign! There are several versions of the larger sign; however there are only a very limited number of big signs known to exist. It is not known who the maker was, however it looks like the work of the Wolverine Co. There is a double-sided version with white outline and one without outlined letters, as well as a single sided version without the white outline. There were also differences in that some have grommet or holes for hanging and some where hung in a bracket without any holes at all. There was a discovery of several of these 3x5 signs that were used to line the floor of a root cellar in Colorado that was being remodeled. Lucky find!

Powerine had several different globes; however none are as plentiful as the red & white Powerine gas globes, that in comparison to the other products were very plain. There as an exciting Bearcat Fuel gas globe that is extremely rare, and very graphic. There is a super rare Crystal gas globe and Bearcat Ethyl globe, which were discovered recently in old station photos that were previously not known to exist. There is also a photo of a smaller PowerLube one-piece globe that topped their oil bottle towers, out by the gas pumps! The sad part is that none of these globes may have survived. For that matter, has anyone ever seen a PowerLube oil bottle? Tough stuff!

The oil cans are very special, as is the case with the signs, they are in high demand when good shape. Several sizes from quarts to 5 gallons exist, and in several varieties, from motor oil to greases. The style of these cans stayed pretty much the same for the life of the company with some minor changes to the colors and logo’s used. The most important difference was the color change of the tiger. The early cans were yellow & blue, like the porcelain signs. For some reason, around the early 1930's, the can colors were changed to orange & blue. There are no known signs done in the orange & blue colors. Maybe the color change was an unpopular one, a marketing flop?

Powerine was a marketing machine. Fred Cramer was president of the independent oil mans association and believed in marketing to ensure the company could compete with the ‘cut rate’ suppliers, as well as the better known national brands. The used door-to-door letter drops to introduce stations in the immediate area. Powerine used give-a-ways and Powerine stamp collecting to earn oil products, or other household products, such as dishes (without the Powerine logo). They also used other advertising media such as traveling billboards, ads in atlases, children’s' Speedtest board games, radio shows, midget racing sponsorship, pin the tail on the Bearcat promotion and many other gas station promotions. One of my favorite quotes from a the "Powerine Prompter" made note of the large number of old service station gas pumps that they had collected (and destroyed!) for the war effort in WWII.

Little known tiger trivia…

Legend has it that the early Power-Lube Tiger was copied in Great Britain, as the more familiar Esso Tiger. When the famous Esso / Exxon Tiger was imported to the U.S. from Great Britain, for the 1960’s “Put a Tiger in your Tank” ad campaign, it was actually the Power-Lube Tiger brought back, after being exported to Great Britain in the first place!

This article was written by Craig Palmer and Scott Wright. We have researched the company and facts with the information that was available. If you can add anything to it please do so!

------------------
Scott Wright-
Wanted Powerine, Bearcat and Powerlube Items- Lots to trade!

Scott Wright
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#92948 Sat Apr 01 2006 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I thought that it might be fun to see some of the old stations to start this out. I have picked throught tons of old photos and some are better then others! There will be a lot of these photos to come. We will start with the company owned stations

All the stations above were company owned. Maybe the style is semi-southwestern?

------------------
Scott Wright-

Scott Wright
#92949 Sat Apr 01 2006 01:02 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Nice Job Scott! Thank you for the great history on the Denver Powerine Company. I need more tigers and bearcats for my garage.
You Rock!

------------------
[email:capalmers@aol.com]capalmers@aol.com[/email]

[email]capalmers@aol.com[/email]
#92950 Sat Apr 01 2006 01:08 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Has anybody out there ever seen a PowerLube Handy Oiler? Please contact Scott or Craig, if you have a rare PowerLube / Powerine item that you could share a photo of?

------------------

#92951 Sat Apr 01 2006 01:32 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Here are the different color 5 quart cans from the different PowerLube time periods.

Got any Rare PowerLube stuff or photos to share? Please contact Scott or Craig, even if you just ahve a question. Happy Hunting.

------------------

#92952 Sat Apr 01 2006 01:44 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Got to have more Tigers! Got it bad for the PowerLube Tiger...
Got something Rare to share? Please contact Scott or Craig, even if you only have a question. Happy Hunting.

------------------

#92953 Sat Apr 01 2006 01:47 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Got PowerLube? Got a question? Please contact Scott or Craig. It is all for fun!

------------------

#92954 Sat Apr 01 2006 04:18 PM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Scott..Great Company history. Here is the exact Tiger image used in the 1923 Canon City, Colorado High School Annual. They were called the Canon City Tigers. Tha Annual was Nonac Regit..Canon Tigers backwards...

#92955 Sat Apr 01 2006 08:08 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Dang it will be hard to follow those posts but lets go ahead and add some more photos:

Yep during the war even the ladies worked at the stations

I hope you all enjoy this thread as much as I am.

------------------
Scott Wright-

Scott Wright
#92956 Sat Apr 01 2006 08:17 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member

Do you see those cookie cutter tigers and bearcats on the roofs? Man I would love to find them!
This has to be the highest gas station in the world. Its sets at the top of Berthoud Pass in CO. If you have ever been to Winter Park CO to go skiing you have driven right past it.
Powerine was a premium fuel in its day. The police had to use Powerine to keep up the the robbers!

Notice the Crystal gas. The lowest grade of Powerine gas.

------------------
Scott Wright-

Scott Wright
#92957 Sat Apr 01 2006 08:21 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member

Powerine had its own full time sign painter and during the depression they used hand painted sign for most of the stations. There was a variety of signs that are now gone so I thought it would be great for us all to see what once existed in the stations of yesteryear. I scanned copies of some of the station signs that were painted however some are not the best quality... I want to thank the Smith family for allowing me to publish them for everyone to see.

This one was made to be seen from a distance.

Scott Wright
#92958 Sat Apr 01 2006 08:43 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Good Stuff Scott and Craig.
That Bearcat curb sign made my heart stop for a minute there!
I think I'm OK now!
chris

#92959 Sat Apr 01 2006 08:54 PM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Scott...Please don't post anymore pictures..I'm already taking blood pressure pills..another curb sign might push me right over the edge! Ron

#92960 Sat Apr 01 2006 09:10 PM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
This is exelent one of the best com presentations I have seen. It must have taken many hrs of reserch. I realy appericate the effort put in to this. tis is one of the best topics on this forum. cant waite to see more. Thank you for all the hard work and info, is most enjoyable.
Thanks again guys!
Brandon

#92961 Sat Apr 01 2006 09:12 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
GEEEEEEEEZZZ, Anyone notice ALL them GLASS TOP Tok. 36B's !
GOTTA GET ME 1
db

#92962 Sat Apr 01 2006 09:28 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Missed that DB.
Is that the pumps in the Longmont, CO picture? Thats where I live but I have no idea where that building is. Might be gone now.
Also an interesting oval looking Powerine sign in that photo that I have never seen before.
If you have any more info on this station let me know.
Need to find out where it was.
chris

#92963 Sat Apr 01 2006 09:56 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yup, & the pic above it [2 on right] & also in the station being painted [1 curbside].
db

#92964 Sun Apr 02 2006 01:25 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks for the kind words guys! There is still more to come. We will come back to some more station photos but lets move on to some other areas for a bit.

Most companies that operated during teens through the 30's had more bodies that could work then money to pay for advertising so they did a lot of door to door grassroots advertising.

They stoped by each house to introduce the new station and manager. Often the offered a free lube job to try out the service. Remeber cars got there oil changed every 1000 miles then.

Sometimes they mailed letters too.

The company tried to assist new jobbers to get new locations to sell the powerine products as well.

Some unused letterhead from a jobber near my house that I have yet to find the location of...

How about the business card of the founder son George 'Geo' Cramer who was responsible for selling powerine to Carter... Thanks Geo!
Please add pictures or send them to me of any of your Powerlube items. Duplicates are OK!!!

------------------
Scott Wright-

Scott Wright
#92965 Sun Apr 02 2006 03:13 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Here is a rare tiger. When this can was offered to me, I really could not afford it. But I get so few calls, that I could not afford not to buy it. So sometimes you just have to grab the tiger by the tail...and later on you will be gald that you did.
Got PowerLube stuff? Or got a question? Please contact Scott or Craig

------------------

#92966 Sun Apr 02 2006 03:19 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Here is a photo for Scott Shipers - Quart Can Collector extraordinaire and friend in the hobby! He spotted the can with the pretty girl - from the Thermoil Co. 1920's-1930's Elk City, OK.

Will always trade for PowerLube. Please contact Scott or Craig

------------------

#92967 Sun Apr 02 2006 03:20 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Here is a photo for Scott Shipers - Quart Can Collector extraordinaire and friend in the hobby! He spotted the can with the pretty girl - from the Thermoil Co. 1920's-1930's Elk City, OK.

Will always trade for PowerLube. Please contact Scott or Craig

------------------

#92968 Sun Apr 02 2006 03:27 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Here are a couple of bitchin' decals! Be sure to make plans to support Scott Wright and attend the Rocky Mountains Front Range Gas Bash this summer. Scott might have some extra PowerLube / Powerine to sell or trade...
Got PowerLube? Got a question? Please contact Scott or Craig. Got it bad for the tiger!

------------------

#92969 Sun Apr 02 2006 04:21 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
First off, excellent job Scott and Craig on the Powerlube thread. Next thanks Craig for taking the time to photograph that truly awesome anti-freeze quart can, I really appreciate that.

Great job guys and keep it going.

------------------
Scott Shipers
Kansas City, MO

Scott Shipers
WANTED: quart picture cans
#92970 Mon Apr 03 2006 07:37 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Cool stuff Craig!

some station uniforms

My favorite one!

Cool lighter. They were filled with Bearcat Motor Fuel!!!

More give aways. The red matches are a new find.

The model in the above photograph also worked in the bookeeping department. She went on to be marred to the sign painter who worked for powerine.

Another note about the sign painting, the painter son emailed me today. The Bearcat curb sign was painted on the lid of a barrel and he also made them for other companies. The original patterns for many of these signs still exist!

------------------
Scott Wright-

Scott Wright
#92971 Mon Apr 03 2006 07:47 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Where did all the pumps, signs, globe and other powerine items go?? Well these photos tell the sad story!

Powerine stations served as collection centers during the war effort for metal and rubber. This picture is of a nearby school who collected scrap metal and are delivering it to the station to be collected. Reading through all the station newsletters I nearly cried when I read:

Hey Dick more glass tops!!

------------------
Scott Wright-

[This message has been edited by powerlube (edited 04-03-2006).]

Scott Wright
#92972 Mon Apr 03 2006 09:14 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
WE WANT MORE
Scott,
In Last picture, the pump by corner of building WHAT GLOBE IS ON TOP ?
db

------------------
**PUT A LID ON IT**
1qt RE-LIDDING

#92973 Tue Apr 04 2006 11:25 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I am glad you are enjoying this Dick. I hope others are as well. I will be out for the next couple of days so I am not sure if I will get to the computer to post more photos but I will try.

In the meantime enjoy these. This was sent to me by a fello oldgasser:

Did you notice those bearcats pulling santas sleigh?? AWESOME!

Anywhere there was a tank it was used to advertise for the company.

------------------
Scott Wright-

Scott Wright
#92974 Tue Apr 04 2006 01:20 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Scott,
ENLARGE the details [bearcat/santa], some of US don't have the eyesight you younger guys do ! LOL
DB

#92975 Tue Apr 04 2006 02:42 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Sorry about that Dick. :0

While I am out here I will add some more. Powerine was in trouble early on with the pricing of there gasoline. They priced it 3 cents per gallon more then the 'cut rate' gas stations.

The Denver Post a major newspaper in Denver launched an campaign to end the price gouging and actually was able to get powerine to lower the price. Could you imagine paying 50 cents more per gallon of gas at a powerine station then the stations down the street? Well that what happened, in today's money the price powerine sold there gas for and the price that the other smaller stations sold the gas for was a 50 cent difference... How did they get that premium? ADVERTISING plain and simple. People believed that Powerine Bearcat fuel gave them better perfomance.

Powerine sponsored all the races and advertised in all the newspapers. Everywhere you looked Powerine was there.

------------------
Scott Wright-

Scott Wright
#92976 Wed Apr 05 2006 11:19 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Need a reminder? How about a PowerLube Oil Change Reminder Tag? Another Important Reminder ... Be sure to make plans to support Scott Wright and attend the Rocky Mountains Front Range Gas Bash this August. Scott might have some extra PowerLube / Powerine to sell or trade!...
Got PowerLube? Got a question? Please contact Scott or Craig. Happy Hunting!

------------------

[This message has been edited by TigerHunter (edited 04-05-2006).]

[This message has been edited by TigerHunter (edited 04-05-2006).]

[This message has been edited by TigerHunter (edited 04-06-2006).]

#92977 Wed Apr 05 2006 08:20 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Here are some old Powerine ads I have. Six Total. One ad is dated 1926 in the text. All six ads are dated 1926 on the back side with a stamp. These were cut out of a Denver newspaper by someone.
This first one addresses what Scott had mentioned earlier about the price of their gas. It says "Forget the extra nickel"

The next one is also interesting as it has a sidebar that says Powerines employees ar not allowed to accept tips and that taking a tip is a "can-able" offense.

[This message has been edited by RARIN TO GO (edited 04-05-2006).]

#92978 Wed Apr 05 2006 08:22 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R

#92979 Thu Apr 06 2006 01:00 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Need a light? How about a PowerLube / Powerine matches and lighter? ... Be sure to make plans to support Scott Wright and attend the Rocky Mountains Front Range Gas Bash this August. Scott might have some extra PowerLube / Powerine to sell or trade!...
Got PowerLube? Got a question? Please contact Scott or Craig. Happy Hunting!

------------------

#92980 Thu Apr 06 2006 05:49 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
WOW Chris- Those are great ad's. THe denver post at one point pulled the Powerine ad's and refused to market for them becuase of the price differance. That forced powerine to lower there prices.

Cool matches Craig. The white matches is how Powerine introduced Ethyl being added to the bearcat gasoline. Them getting married is a cute little advertising collectable. Does anyone else have any other matches?

That lighter is the best. Being that they wanted it filled with Bearcat Motor Fuel ads to the coolness.

Anybody else have pictures to post? Duplicates are Good! Anyone have some maps?

------------------
Scott Wright-

Scott Wright
#92981 Thu Apr 06 2006 02:59 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
How many of these have you seen?

The only powerlube one I have ever seen for sure!

------------------
Scott Wright-

Scott Wright
#92982 Thu Apr 06 2006 05:39 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Here's my tiger.

#92983 Thu Apr 06 2006 05:41 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
And my Powerine sign.

#92984 Thu Apr 06 2006 05:43 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
And my Powerine globe. One of my favorite globes.

#92985 Fri Apr 07 2006 02:29 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
More about Powerine. Lets start with this one to piggyback on Chris's globe:

The center globe is for the Crystal Gas- No known examples exist. Man I bet that is a neat globe

------------------
Scott Wright-

Scott Wright
#92986 Fri Apr 07 2006 03:08 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
A few more for tonight, don't get tired yet we still have over 130 pictures to go!

Fred Cramer the president of powerine did not die till near the end of powerine but prior to that his son George 'Geo' was really running the show in Colorado and California.

Here in 1934 he ordered some of the powerine lighters for the California operation from the Denver headquarters

Internal order forms for the stations

How about some of the old postcards?

They were used to remind patrons to change there oil.

The above card is a new version and a new find. I need one of those signs!

------------------
Scott Wright-

[This message has been edited by powerlube (edited 04-07-2006).]

Scott Wright
#92987 Sat Apr 08 2006 06:33 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Anybody like to play board games? Powerine had a special board game made called speedtest.

They also had a marketing campaign to push Powerlube as the oil for the 'high speed' age

Has anyone ever seen another one of these games?
------------------
Scott Wright-

[This message has been edited by powerlube (edited 04-08-2006).]

Scott Wright
#92988 Sat Apr 08 2006 07:55 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
NO!! Do you have it? Larry

In memory of DB 9/12/49 - 8/28/14
#92989 Sun Apr 09 2006 06:35 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
WOW super stuff everyone and great job Scott!
I put a sign up so people would know I am a disposal/recycling facility for old gas pumps and signs but nothing yet. Must have been the war.

100+ more pics? You're killing me.
Regards,
May COTM

#92990 Sun Apr 09 2006 07:18 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I do have one of the games but there are only a couple more that I know of in family members of the company hands. A few more station pictures for you all:

I wish this picture was better, notice the two powerine globes on the sign? I need that one. OK who am I kidding I need it all!!

Notice the truck? Check out this tire cover. They put a decal on it but under the first coat of paint you can see powerine and powerlube script.

------------------
Scott Wright-

Scott Wright
#92991 Sun Apr 09 2006 04:44 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Wow Scott! Keep it coming!
I love the pic with the 3 different Powerine globes. Good Stuff!!!

#92992 Mon Apr 10 2006 08:32 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Lets look at some of the paper items:
Another ad-

This atlas also is found with blue text instead of green.

Some artist blocks

They marketed the oil as the best for Chevrolet and ford. You name it Powerine was the best for it.

------------------
Scott Wright-

Scott Wright
#92993 Mon Apr 10 2006 12:37 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Scott are you making a Bearcat globe and decal?? As i have an Erie 53 like the 3 in your pic...would look great done up in Bearcat!!

Wanted early tin litho signage.
petro, farm, auto, etc.
#92994 Mon Apr 10 2006 01:32 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
The globe art is in the works and I should have something in the next week to show everyone.
While we are on the topic of globes- Grab your drool bucket:

I wish this one was in my collection!

------------------
Scott Wright-

Scott Wright
#92995 Mon Apr 10 2006 04:51 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
WOW, Nice stuff. How many globe exist? Any idea? Larry

#92996 Tue Apr 11 2006 06:49 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member

There was some conection with the Parco gas company as many station photos I have seen also include some Parco items.

------------------
Scott Wright-

Scott Wright
#92997 Wed Apr 12 2006 07:16 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Some more items:

------------------
Scott Wright-

Scott Wright
#92998 Thu Apr 13 2006 07:21 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
some more stuff

Has different marks for tanks such as Model A etc.

I think the badge may have been for a hat

------------------
Scott Wright-

Scott Wright
#92999 Fri Apr 14 2006 11:58 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member

Anybody have any other powerine planes?

------------------
Scott Wright-

Scott Wright
#93000 Fri Apr 14 2006 02:36 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
The powerine company had a biweekly station update magazine that they sent to all of there stations. The thought was that by sharing the ideas that were working at one garage would in turn help another jobber be successful. The station owners or lease's may have been good mechanics but not all were the best businessmen. Likewise some were good at business but not changing oil or fixing common problem's. The magazine 'Prompter' was a very valuable part of me researching this company. I have uploaded all the original scans that I have to my website for any that care to read them. They are all from 1940-1943 during the war years. WARNING- Not for dialup users as the files are very large... Enjoy and let me know what you think!
http://www.frontrangegas.com/powerweb/prompter/

------------------
Scott Wright-

Scott Wright
#93001 Fri Apr 14 2006 04:49 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Wow Scott!!!
Reading all that should keep me entertained for a while!

#93002 Fri Apr 14 2006 06:33 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
AWESOME SITE.
I have dial-up, pictures load fast & clear, Newsletters take alittle longer.
Dick

#93003 Fri Apr 14 2006 06:41 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
No peeking at the other photos yet Dick!!!

Glad you are enjoying. The best is yet to come!

Scott Wright
#93004 Fri Apr 14 2006 06:45 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
One more for tonight- First let me state that this was from the WAR time and Powerine was in no way racist company.

------------------
Scott Wright-

Scott Wright
#93005 Sat Apr 15 2006 01:31 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member

Another atlas with Bearcat advertising

A decal version of the race car give at the stations

I would love to find this sign!

These big signs have the BEST color, a little lighter then the small ones.
See ya tomorrow!

------------------
Scott Wright-

Scott Wright
#93006 Sat Apr 15 2006 02:19 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
A couple more

Powerine headquarters back in the day.

Powerine Headquarters now...

Scott Wright
#93007 Sat Apr 15 2006 06:07 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The WAYNE 60 on the left appears to have a BEARCAT ETHYL GLOBE the same as the 36B pump door decal posted [in color]. Am I seeing things correct ? Or hoping ?
db

#93008 Sat Apr 15 2006 07:10 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Good eyes Dick- My question is that a real globe or a decal on a globe. More about that later.

Scott

Scott Wright
#93009 Sun Apr 16 2006 06:54 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
We are getting closer on the bearcat ethyl globe image and I thought you all would like to see a preview:

We are still finishing it up and working on the colors. It's AWESOME!!!

------------------
Scott Wright-

Scott Wright
#93010 Sun Apr 16 2006 08:04 AM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Wow Dick! You don't miss a thing!
I also think that may be a decal on a glass body.
So Scott is the globe going to look like the decal or like the known Bearcat Motor Fuel globe pictured earlier?
chris

#93011 Sun Apr 16 2006 08:18 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Scott is the decal not going to have "motor fuel" around the bottom like the original? mm

petro, farm, auto, etc.
#93012 Sun Apr 16 2006 09:06 AM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
looks like a glass body with a sticker possibly.
Brandon

#93013 Sun Apr 16 2006 09:13 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That will be AWESOME when it's finished. Lots of work getting it to this point.
db

#93014 Sun Apr 16 2006 10:48 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I hesitated posting that picture, yep it will have motor fuel on the bottom just like the original, just working on the colors... More on the decals/globe use soon.

------------------
Scott Wright-

Scott Wright
#93015 Sun Apr 16 2006 12:04 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
"SOON"
Your killing me here Scott.

#93016 Sun Apr 16 2006 06:48 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
About the decals...

Above are the front and back of the bearcat decals. Now I do not 100% know what they were used for but my BEST guess is that they were globe decals. Notice how the eyes and the words on the back are cut out for light to pass through and how th eyelashes and the eyes are a faint green that would light up. I think that for some of the stations these decals were used on milk glass globes to advertise bearcat motor fuel.

Anybody else have another explanation? These decals would fit perfectly on a globe as they are pretty large.

Scott

Scott Wright
#93017 Sun Apr 16 2006 07:01 PM
B
B
I've never seen a Powerlube handy oiler. Are they positively known to exist?

#93018 Sun Apr 16 2006 07:17 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I would like to point out a difference in the "Bearcat" decals. The decal on the 36B door, now in Scott's collection, has the Bearcat going to the right, whereas the globe decal, he is facing the left. I have no explanation for this, it was just a little detail that I noticed.

I'd like to thank Scott for his work on this, and for allowing me to stop by the other day to see some of this stuff.

AWSOME Scott!!!! Thanks!!!

BTW. I wonder which one of the 36Bs in the photos are mine now?????

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
#93019 Sun Apr 16 2006 08:48 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Welcome Bearcat our new member from Colorado! Years ago there was a famous Colorado can collector, named Ed Love, that published one of the early publications in the hobby, called the "Tiger Rag". The "Tiger Rag" was a newspaper that preceeded the modern magazines, like the "C.T.O." and the "P.C.M."... By the way, Ed Love is still alive! God bless him! Scott has talked to him recently!
In one issue of the "Tiger Rag",
there is a mention of a Rare Handy Oiler, that was discovered in Montana or the Dakotas. I do not remember which...and I am afraid that Ed would not remember either... It is amazing that he is still alive!
We think that there is a Rare Handy Oiler out there somewhere, but as of yet, there have been no photos or confirmations. Anybody else heard of one?
Hey Bearcat, are you a fellow Powerine/PowerLube collector too? Got cool stuff?
Happy Hunting, Craig

------------------

#93020 Mon Apr 17 2006 07:21 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
So where are all the cans? Here are a couple I have photographed:

This can went on this wagon- sorry for the crummy picture

From a collectors showcase

Does anyone have any autokrat cans?

------------------
Scott Wright-

Scott Wright
#93021 Mon Apr 17 2006 07:29 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Here is what I believe is a new Powerine item. It called the Katz Eye Tail Light. The address is the headquarters of the powerine company but the name is the Saftey Light Corporation. Also the cat logo is to much of a coincidence with the powerlube tiger and bearcat. Just another new item from this small company!

[This message has been edited by powerlube (edited 04-17-2006).]

Scott Wright
#93022 Mon Apr 17 2006 07:00 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member

This is from when they one had two stations, very early

Scott Wright
#93023 Tue Apr 18 2006 07:57 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I think I still have some issues of the "Tiger Rag". Ill have to look.

#93024 Tue Apr 18 2006 08:33 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Here are a couple from the Tiger Rag:

Ed Love and a business partner negotiated for the rights to the powerlube tiger from Mobil. They were in talks to buy a small gas chain and rebrand it with the powerlube tiger. The gas chain deal feel through, man I wish I could fill my car up with Bearcat motor fuel!!!

------------------
Scott Wright-

Scott Wright
#93025 Tue Apr 18 2006 09:13 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
DB strikes again!!! Well I am not sure how old Dick is but I have proof that he or one of his relatives lived near this station:

This is the Headquarters statiion

I free pack of Powerine matches to the first person who catches me in posting a photo twice that wasn't planned...

------------------
Scott Wright-

Scott Wright
#93026 Tue Apr 18 2006 09:56 AM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Scott: Keep up the great job.. I am falling in love with Powerine stuff.. Oh didn't you post the picture of the Company Headquarters already??
Ric

[This message has been edited by DuceCpe (edited 04-18-2006).]

Wanted: Conoco, Marland, Eason, Cliff Brice, Speedway and Oval E stuff!
#93027 Tue Apr 18 2006 11:56 PM
B
B
There are two pictures of the station at 14th & Tremont, but one is the actual photo, and the other is the same photo printed in a magazine article. Tricky,Scott. The real duplicate is that top half of the "letters ad"(which I don't have restored yet). Since I have inside information, give the matchbook to the runnerup. Speaking of inside information, my grandfather worked in the office from about 1920 'til the sale. Most of what Scott is posting came from him, and I have a theory about this motley collection. I think we're looking at the (partial?) contents of his desk on the day he cleaned it out. (the recommenation letter didn't pan out). Gary

#93028 Wed Apr 19 2006 06:44 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I like that gary, the contents of his desk. Since you brought up the letter:

Not much after serving the company for 20 years.

I have not calculated that return on an annual basis but something tells me that $900 in 1945 would buy a lot of stuff but still nothing in comparison to a pension.

------------------
Scott Wright-

Scott Wright
#93029 Wed Apr 19 2006 06:52 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I am starting to get confused myself so I am going to post a lot of the photos today and leave just a few for the rest of the month...

They had a radio show and sponsor football game broadcasts

Scott Wright
#93030 Wed Apr 19 2006 06:53 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member

The first maps from this company were folded into a envelope the size of a business card

[This message has been edited by powerlube (edited 04-19-2006).]

Scott Wright
#93031 Wed Apr 19 2006 07:01 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member

The stamp books that were filled also could be used later in the companies history to buy real merchandise such as radios, dishes etc

40 filled books for a radio phongraph!

Another cartoon! Does your car need a visit to the Lube-Serv-Atory?

------------------
Scott Wright-

[This message has been edited by powerlube (edited 04-19-2006).]

Scott Wright
#93032 Wed Apr 19 2006 07:09 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
A denver business journal highlighted the company. Yes this is a picture I shown before:

No layoffs during the wars or the depression. WOW!

Christmas party place cards

The above tails were from games that were played at the station. Kids played pin the bearcat tail on the bearcat for prizes. If the kids wanted to come to the station then the parents would be buying something.

Scott Wright
#93033 Wed Apr 19 2006 07:49 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Scott in the headquarters picture on the left side...there is 2 looks to be oil jar stands with globes..can you tell from the picture itself what they are? thx mm

petro, farm, auto, etc.
#93034 Wed Apr 19 2006 10:31 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member

One piece powerlube. Was it painted and fired or did it use the decal like the one below?

------------------
Scott Wright-

Scott Wright
#93035 Thu Apr 20 2006 09:54 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Bring on the cans!!! Does anyone have a picture of a one quart AutoKrat can?

Very rare and early AutoKrat can

The most rare can that I know of for Powerlube sorry for the flash in the photo.

------------------
Scott Wright-

Scott Wright
#93036 Fri Apr 21 2006 07:36 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I'll post the rest of the station pics today.

Notice the Parco tanker in the background? I wonder what the connection was between the companies.

Scott Wright
#93037 Fri Apr 21 2006 07:40 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member

This station still exists today.

------------------
Scott Wright-

Scott Wright
#93038 Sat Apr 22 2006 02:01 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member

Sorry abot the conoco can but I thought you all would enjoy!

------------------
Scott Wright-

Scott Wright
#93039 Sat Apr 22 2006 03:39 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Scott i was wondering what area/states Powerine had stations or distributors in. Were they strictly a Colorado company? thx mm

petro, farm, auto, etc.
#93040 Sun Apr 23 2006 08:16 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
They had 150 stations in the NM, WY, CO, KS, UT, NE, ID, MT area there were also several hundred in CA, OR and WA. I have addresses of most in the mountain states if you are looking for one in particular let me know.
I think I already posted this but here it is again a map of the original distribution area:

Here is a good example of an easy pour can from an auction photo:

------------------
Scott Wright-
Wanted Powerine, Bearcat and Powerlube Items- Finders fees paid for leads!

[This message has been edited by powerlube (edited 04-23-2006).]

Scott Wright
#93041 Mon Apr 24 2006 06:20 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
We are coming into the last week. I only have a few more photos. Here is a one of a kind:

the prototype of the bearcat image.
Everyone has seen the clouded powerlube signs on ebay. Here is a fellow oldgassers before and after cleanup shots.

Chris what did you use to clean it up?

Scott Wright
#93042 Tue Apr 25 2006 07:04 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member

Some cans...

------------------
Scott Wright-

[This message has been edited by powerlube (edited 04-26-2006).]

Scott Wright
#93043 Wed Apr 26 2006 05:53 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member

Scott Wright
#93044 Wed Apr 26 2006 06:05 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This has been GREAT SCOTT, but 2 of the same images on the same page !!! [orig.Bearcat]. Ya must be getting tired. LOL
DB

#93045 Wed Apr 26 2006 06:39 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks Dick- It gets confusing after a while!!!

------------------
Scott Wright-

Scott Wright
#93046 Wed Apr 26 2006 08:04 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
A couple more paper items

Along the same lines as collecting stamps to get free merchadise they also had this booklet for kids to collect stamps of famous indians.

An article from the 20's came out in the National Petroleum News about Powerine below is a link to the full copies if you would like to read them.(these are big files) http://www.frontrangegas.com/powerweb/npn/

Scott Wright
#93047 Wed Apr 26 2006 08:33 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I think this is the last of the paper pictures:

notice the tire cover

A company car

A better picture of the station at the top of Berthoud pass. What a cool spot!

A real early station.

A company sponsored soapbox race car. Notice the shirt with the bearcat logo.

Scott Wright
#93048 Wed Apr 26 2006 02:36 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Scott you're doing an excellent job of giving us an inside look into a great oil company, thank you. Keep up the very good work,looking forward to more. Thanks again.
Bob

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
#93049 Thu Apr 27 2006 07:14 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks for the kind words Bob. Today I will finish up all the cans I have pictures of and tomorrow will end my part on this company of the month.

It is not know if the above statue is a real powerine item or not. I thought it was worth looking at either way.

Scott Wright
#93050 Thu Apr 27 2006 09:53 AM
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO AND PICTURES YOU DID A HECK OF A JOB REALLY ENJOYED THE SHOW.
REX NOW LIKES POWERLINE

#93051 Thu Apr 27 2006 11:15 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Scott, I have to tell you that in my opinion this has been probably the best Company of the Month post. I don't mean to take anything away from all the other hosts we have had, they were remarkable as well. KUDO'S

Larry

#93052 Thu Apr 27 2006 06:44 PM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
AWESOME JOB! Really learned a lot and enjoyed all of the pics. We are all going to be watching for those tiger cans and signs for sure now.
Thanks again for sharing.
Rod

------------------

#93053 Thu Apr 27 2006 07:12 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Whoa Rod- Lets not get crazy and start collecting this powerlube stuff. There is only so many guys allowed to collect it at the same time and the list is full ;0

Ok so the list is not full but man this stuff is hard to find. Enjoy the hunt and share your finds. I even have some addresses of stations in NE if you want them...

[This message has been edited by powerlube (edited 04-27-2006).]

Scott Wright
#93054 Thu Apr 27 2006 09:09 PM
K
Koz Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
K
Scott contacted me about the Bearcat decal some time ago and asked if I was interested in doing a restoration. (It was only later that the decal and the globe were considered one and the same.) No doubt I was interested from the start yet I was concerned that the image should be as true as possile to the original. Makiing a fantasy image didn't interest me but given the state of the original decal and in particular the Bearcat itself, I knew it would be a challenge. It became quite obvious to both Scott and I that almost everything Bearcat changed with the wind. It should also be noted that the original Bearcat on the decal was apparently created on the silkscreen with a brush technique not unlike painting with a brush on canvas. (My own observation) Not even the original artist would have been able to create an exact copy given the process used. Yet, both of us wanted the image to be as true as possible.

Work started with a lot of experimentation using the original image. I told Scott that I wasn't going to punch the time clock till I had an understanding of what I could do and more importantly relay to him what was possible. It was only after a variety of Bearcats and other images with lettering became available that I knew something great was about to happen.

Colors shown in the image are for illustration purposes. Since Scott has the original decal, I thought it best if he matched colors on his end and then relayed that information for the actual glove production. I learned not to create colors for a decal and then expect the globe to look the same. It just dpesn't happen that way. Once the globe lens is in hand, decal colors wil be finalized so that both work together.

So is the image a fantasy? Not really. Is the image a duplicate of the original? Not really. What I can tell you is that no matter how great the image looks on your monitor, just wait till you see the real thing as a decal and globe.

Scott, you're the man. Thanks for giving me the opportunity. It has been a pleasure.

Al Kozeiski

#93055 Fri Apr 28 2006 04:36 AM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Koz:

The decal looks fantastic!

I know first-hand what you mean about old gasoline company logos changing on a whim. It's always better to have too much reference from a particular company than too little. I'm sure having all the different versions of the 'Bearcat' images to work from really helped.

I just introduced a Johnson Ethyl lens. You'd think since the Ethyl version would be on a pump next to the regular Time Tells version - that the lettering and wings would match. Not! The lettering for 'Johnson' is pretty much the same - but everything else is different.

As a 'for instance' - the 'G' in the word 'Gasoline' at the bottom of the two lenses is totally different.

Sorry to ramble on - the decal looks great and I'm sure that the lenses will be fantastic also.

Later . . .

Jim

------------------
www.T-waysGraphics.com
Always buying Ethyl Globes, Ethyl Single Lenses & Misc Ethyl Items.

#93056 Fri Apr 28 2006 06:02 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks again Koz- This globe is going to look great. Well today I will add some the rest of the powerine items. I did save some of my favorite for last. Hang on to your drool buckets...

Final decal image

3'x5' awesome sign

Two different five gallons cans from CA

The rarest sign of all a small tin sign from a CA collection

What hunting the tiger is all about.
Thats it for me. I think I have posted all I have. If I find any more pictures that I have not posted I will bring them to you.

This has been fun and I think many of you have enjoyed the show. If you ever have any questions on whether a sign is real or not feel free to contact me. My new friend Craig Palmer has a saying when ever we talk about powerine items that I will leave you all with. Happy Hunting (as in hunting the powerlube tiger)

------------------
Scott Wright-

Scott Wright
#93057 Fri Apr 28 2006 06:15 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The decal was indeed a spectacular find for me. Because I didn't know what it was, I posted it here. Scott has since aquired ownership of the 36B door that it is on, and I'm glad to say that it is in good hands now, and I'm sure that it's one of Scott's most treasured items. The detail on the original is incredible. One almost needs a magnifying glass to see the colors and layout of all the small dots down the back of the Bearcat.

I'm glad to see that Scott took the initiative to preserve this image, and make it available for others, and glad to have been a part of it. I was also fortunate enough to be invited to Scott's house, to see his collection of Powerine/Powerlube items. Nice stuff, thanks. Great job on this feature.

Did I say invited? Well, it was more like "Hey Scott, I'm just around the corner. I can be there in a minute!"

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
#93058 Fri Apr 28 2006 06:50 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
of course I forgot a few...

They had calendars too.

To be posted at all powerine stations if you would like to read it go here: http://www.frontrangegas.com/powerweb/paper/creed.JPG

Oh yeah, thunder you are welcome over ANY time!

------------------
Scott Wright-

[This message has been edited by powerlube (edited 04-28-2006).]

Scott Wright
#93059 Fri Apr 28 2006 07:59 AM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Thanks again for this great Power-lube article and photos.I really enjoyed it!!!!

Did you ever find out how the Power-lube sign you showed was cleaned?
Thanks
Bob

#93060 Fri Apr 28 2006 04:33 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Sorry it took me so long. Been readin' when I should be postin'.
This may make you guys cringe like your watching Thunder flatten one of Scotts signs with his big truck but I used polishing stones made to polish machining marks out of steel to clean the Powerlube sign. It was about a 600 or 800 grit soft stone with WD-40 as a wetting agent. Believe me I tried everthing imaginable before I did this but nothing touched the black and brown stains that seemed to be embedded in the porcelain. This darkening is on a lot of the signs that are coming from Wyoming now. And any areas that are white on these signs or any other Powerlube sign will stay that way. The blue porcelain on many of these signs was very thin and the white you see on most of them is where the blue has been etched away or bleaced out right to the white base color. The stone did not really scratch the porcelain like you might think because it was a very fine stone but I did put a clear lacquer over it after I finished just to help it shine. Wet/Dry sandpaper might do the same thing but I think your gonna use a LOT of sandpaper. This stain doesn't just wipe off. If any of you have tried getting it off you know that.

[This message has been edited by RARIN TO GO (edited 04-28-2006).]

#93061 Fri Apr 28 2006 04:37 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Well this is the only thing I have left thet I can post. And thanks to Scott I think I now know what the other globe is. Must be the Crystal globe.

Thanks for doing a great COTM Scott. I really learned a lot from it.
Chris

#93062 Fri Apr 28 2006 06:12 PM
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
ANYBODY HAVE A TAPE MEASURE HANDY TO SEE IF SCOTT'S HEAD WILL FIT INTO THE " WORK DOOR COME MONDAY MORNING " ???

JUST A EXCELLENT JOB BUDDY, HATS OFF TO YOU AND ALL YOUR TIME SPENT ON THIS. LABOR OF LOVE .

DOUG

#93063 Fri Apr 28 2006 07:27 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
I know you are kidding Doug but I do want to add this.
I know Scott and I don't think his head will get any bigger but I'm sure he has a bigger smile than usual knowing that he did a good job that many enjoyed and that he should be proud of.
You mentioned "LABOR OF LOVE"
Well that's what it is for Scott. Be it the work on this COTM or the Front Range Gas Bash or the Bearcat globe and decal that he has put so much work into but he has told me that he will not profit from it.
That's what oldgas is all about and it's great when it works!
Rock on Petro-heads!
Chris

#93064 Tue May 02 2006 11:37 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great job. Very much enjoyed this post. i do have a question. If I read this right, Carter Oil bought out Powerine. right? I just bought some items from an old Carter bulk plant and it had a cardboard tiger that folded up and it was stamped onthe box from the manufacturer, "Carter Tiger Sign." It looks different than the Powerine Tiger. Did they get the ideas from Powerine? Or was it new. Can probably post a picture tonight. appreciate any ideas.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Sure would love to see some of the newer members do a thread like this. Anyone interested?

Scott Wright
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved