#89140 Tue May 27 2003 05:04 PM
M
Morgan Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
M

Well, I finally have it.

Any suggestions as to what can be done about the paint loss at the top?

The dark circle is a water stain which I think I can remove. The lighter part where the paint is missing is the countertop showing through.

This is in nice shape considering it's been hanging outside for years. I've been trying to buy it for the last 13 years. It's finally come home!!!

[This message has been edited by Morgan (edited 05-27-2003).]

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#89141 Tue May 27 2003 06:53 PM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
You did good, I'm proud of you , you'll have to do some research on the type of paint they used for these bodys, maybe contact some of the larger globe collectors, like the lastgas, or Scott just ask, maybe even Dodo gas, hes seems to be on mars some times but I think hes got all his burners working ,
good luck , man if that body was in great shap, Beacon lenses would look mighty good in it,

#89142 Tue May 27 2003 09:55 PM
L
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
L
Its too bad you cant strip the entire inside to clear and then recolor it from inside then clearcoat to seal it. Ive never had one so I dont know exactly how difficult it would be to do that.
Larry

larry ivy
#89143 Tue May 27 2003 10:05 PM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Well any ways Talco boy , you be carful with it, as old as it is and as long as its been out in that Texas sun, it will break just lookin at it,

#89144 Wed May 28 2003 02:33 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I like it just like that. Are you going to use it as a hanging sign again or on top of a pump? It's just my opinion but I think it would look great hanging in a corner with a 15 watt bulb,an nice old lenses as a night light.

#89145 Wed May 28 2003 05:50 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Morgan,
Do you think you can get the stains off that go about half way down? If not you'll have to strip even more paint off.
The tough part will be getting the blend line to light up like the rest of it. I'm sure someone can do it but I don't know who. Worst case scenerio would be if you had to strip all down. If thats the case leave it that way. You'll have a nice clear ripple. At this point I think most guys would value it as a clear ripple anyway. A restored yellow ripple will never be worth what an all original is worth.
Sounds like its just gonna be too much trouble......you ought to just send it to me. Haha.
Post a picture once its done.
Bob

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#89146 Wed May 28 2003 06:08 AM
M
Morgan Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
M
I put this in the dishwasher last night when my wife wasn't looking. (She was so proud I was doing dishes!!) Most of the staining on the sides and top came out. I think a little light scrubbing with softscrub will clean the rest up nicely.

I will probably leave it as is rather than try to repaint. Getting an even coat would be difficult so rather than make things worse, I'll leave it alone. Even if I got a color match, blending like Bob said would be a trick.

I have several sets of gill lenses but will most likely use Kanotex in it.

Having said that, I'm still open to suggestion on paint repair.

Thanks for all the input guys.

#89147 Wed May 28 2003 08:08 AM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
O K , go to your local hobby shop or a place like Micheals , my grandaughter got a stian glass (plastic) kit to do christmas figures, the paints are water base transparant I tried useing them on my Veedol 10/30 add glass it does real good as long as your putting it out side, look in , ? i'll check.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved