Next Thread
Print Thread
#889 Sat Jul 21 2001 09:33 AM
G
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
G
Here is one I have never seen or heard of. I was removing a broken glass cylinder from a model K Rush visible. It had a 1 inch crack around it above the cylinder base. Once the main glass was removed, a one inch glass ring was left. I chipped away the glycerine until I thought the glass could be removed. Since it was broken, no need to be gentle. I put a sharpened chisel under a section of glass and when I tapped the chisel, the glass ring EXPLODED! It shot out across the room as if it were a spring under high tension. No trace of glass was left in the base. Even though this was a very quick way to remoce the glass, I am very fortunate to escape with no injuries. I hate to think if I were in the flight path of the explodeing glass. So be careful on removing glass cylinders or even pieces of it. And wear safety glasses.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#890 Sat Jul 21 2001 07:53 PM
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
Thanks for the info. Sounds like gloves and a welding helmet might be good also!!

#891 Sat Jul 21 2001 09:12 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That's why I tell all of my customers NOT to remove the litharge if there's still plenty at the bottom during restoration. (I understand yours was broken anyway.) The cylinder is still under pressure. If most of the litharge is gone, you will probably not have the cylinder crack. I have heard from DOZENS of guys over the past twenty five years who have had a perfectly good cylinder crack down there AFTER removing the glass. A good friend of mine removed the metal rings from a Fry cylinder earlier this summer and it broke. $$$$$ Ron

Ron Scobie
http://www.gaspump.com or
rscobie(TheAtSymbol)gaspump.com
Phone - Six five one-653-6503

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved