Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#88426 Sun Aug 24 2003 08:44 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast

I was speeding(literally)down the freeway this weekend and spotted a garage sale sign about 400 feet off on a side road leaning on a shed. Looked likely enough to get me to turn around and stop. The woman was really looking at me -- really looking at her garage sale sign. I had to look a while as it was painted over at least three times on both sides. Another guy that was there then started looking at it also. I asked if it was for sale and she said sure??? I made her an offer and she accepted. She stated she always thought it was a barrel lid. She asked if I needed help loading it and I stated no as I had loaded a lot of heavy old gas pumps in my years of collecting oil and gas. She said "Gas pumps?...come with me!" and lead me to the side of the shed were two Wayne 100-A's were laying in the weeds. The red one is beat pretty bad...but the green one is real decent. Made a deal on them too and picked them up today.
Finally a garage sale that was more than baby clothes,toys, and Home Interiors junk! I stripped one side of the sign as soon as I got home. A few blemishes but it sure is a pretty sign.

Wanted: Wadhams - Bartles - O'neils - Items
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#88427 Sun Aug 24 2003 08:57 PM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
A TRAINED EYE AT 85!!! MPH that is!!!
COOL! i wonder how many garage sales that sign was used for? you ended up with a couple pumps besides! what else did she have laying around?

[This message has been edited by tom 2 tone (edited 08-25-2003).]

#88428 Sun Aug 24 2003 09:20 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
You can believe I really checked the place out after the pumps turned up!...found four large green porcelain service station type light fixtures, but her husband was going to use them in his shop ..... so they were not for sale. Otherwise some junk farm machinery was about it.
It amazes me that thousands of people a day went by that thing and never saw it? or checked it out. I didn't stop that day until about 4 p.m. My eye is always attracted to "round" things. I've once found a complete Gargoyle lollipop with base.... was painted over with "Parking Behind Building"......it was in a womans garden and she said she brought it home from work when they were going to put it in the dumpster.It sat at the edge of her garden for years and she never did anything with it. The base was 6 inches under ground but still excellent. Its really a fun way to make a find this way!

#88429 Sun Aug 24 2003 09:31 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Can you tell us what you paid, i used to eye up every painted over sign like a diamond in the rough , until i seen one a guy cleaned off and someone went all over it with a disc grinder to get paint to stick. Others have found them where guys sandblasted them before painting. So be carefull, usually if you pick at it you could see if it was blasted.
Love those Wayne 100,s the nicest short pump, I dont think I have seen 2 together..they look really good, nice find...dodogas

#88430 Mon Aug 25 2003 12:01 AM
H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
Mr. W. Really nice score. If the green porcelain light fixtures are the right type they could be worth some $$... the last one I saw sell on ebay went for $275.... you could offer to buy some new flourescant lights to trade them. Any time your at a place that has junk farm machinery always ask if they have any hit-and-miss engines... they are always good for trading to other farmers even if you don't collect them.
I'm with dodo on the price thing.. whenever I see something the first thing I ask is how much... must be kind of a bad habit with me.
bob

#88431 Mon Aug 25 2003 04:46 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I want to stop at a yard sale like that...I really really do.
---------------------------------------------
Hubba

Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Seattle WA
#88432 Mon Aug 25 2003 05:42 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
To fill in a few more of the details....I have run into the sanded signs also, so I won't offer a lot for an unstripped sign like this.I figured the hanging ring was worth $50 so I paid $75 for the sign. She said her husband did not find time yet to haul out the scrap iron pile so that is why the pumps were still there...paid $75 for both pumps. Kind of low,but the red one needs a lot of dent work and the door on the back is pretty much bent beyond repair. This stuff was left on the place by the previous owner. The woman was happy as I made her garage sale...and I was happy.
The light shades are the type that hung down on the eaves or canopy by a short piece of pipe...not the ones on the poles. Its been a pretty dry summer for me otherwise and I feel better now
Jim

#88433 Mon Aug 25 2003 06:20 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Thanks for the info, makes the story even better. I would go back in a few weeks or a month to ask about the lights(gotta have a reason) see what else they remember having around.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>. We were wondering if you were coming back we have this ugly air pump THING with the big round hose reel thing underneath, do you want to have it?? any interest before we throw it out..LOL..dodogas

#88434 Sat Aug 30 2003 09:27 PM
R
RJD Offline
R
Mr Wadhams, If the red pump is a parts pump, I have a need for parts of a Wayne 100A. Contact me if interested.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved