Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#83929 Thu Jan 30 2003 10:32 PM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
oh frankie i could never be that much of a gentleman!!! id have to drink the whole bottle & then some on the way there myself! hahaha a real battle axe i think! NOBODY could ever keep that woman happy! get her bent over and just when you think the 60s in the bag she'd turn around and pass out a couple of black eyes for not goin the speed limit!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!! the pumps kinda rough & i bet shes the one responsible for it to!!!

Archived Forum Area

These topics are archived because they are older. You may not post new replies. Contact member through their email in their Profile or by PM message.
Help with contacting members

#83930 Thu Jan 30 2003 11:15 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
what is the speed limit???????? frank..

#83931 Thu Jan 30 2003 11:27 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
TOM !! WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT GIRLS FOR WHEN THERE ARE PUMPS PRESENT?? GIRLS ARE TROUBLE!!!!!!! GET THE PUMP,, THE OLD PUMP HAS PUT OUT WAY MORE THAN THAT FINE GIRL HAS EVER THOUGHT OF ,, WAY MORE ,,IF YOU FIGURE IN GALLONS I MEAN.. WELL HAVE FUN, SEE YA LATER!!!! FRANK..

#83932 Fri Jan 31 2003 09:04 AM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
O K mr. wad ham . lets see what you know???post something . don't be afraid. get involved . or stay in the back of the platoon.

#83933 Fri Jan 31 2003 11:22 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Here's a couple pumps in my collection. The Rapidayton I bought from a farmer who insisted on $10 CASH for it. I picked up the Butler from a friend for a very reasonable price after he bought it for $700.

I have a challenge for Dwaine...try to post some pictures all by yourself...its not that hard!

Wanted: Wadhams - Bartles - O'neils - Items
#83934 Mon Feb 03 2003 11:05 AM
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
i am not a pump collector per se, and this story goes back many years but here it is... i was just getting started collecting this insanity and a friend at work had told me that he had spotted two pumps not far from where i live. i asked him if he had seen any signs on the pumps and he said yes... so... being that was what i was after, i asked him to draw me a map of where they were and i would check it out. so off i go with map in hand and the 20 minute ride turns into 2 hours. his map skills left alot to be desired. anyway... i find the pumps and they got atlantic signage on em'. o.k.. not the greatest find but i'll knock on the door and give it a shot. so.. i'm standin' there knocking and knocking and get no answer but i hear noise like a radio or t.v. so i keep knocking. finally an old lady with a cane comes to the door and she looks pissed. i tell her i'm sorry for the interuption and go into my pitch about wanting to buy the signs. she says " well... i don't see any for sale signs on em'.. do you mister ". i figure i'm screwed but i say no, but was just wondering if now or in the future.... blah... blah.... blah. now... as i am standing there her son pulls up. man.. this guy was all busted up and looked like he just went 10 rounds with mike tyson and she tells him "hey bob, here's another one that wants something for nothing". i tell them thats not the case and, of course i will offer her cash for the signs. anyway... they are double teaming me and now i gotta react. i figure.. screw it.. i'll see if i can get the signs AND the pumps. i figured i could always dump the pumps later on. well... she's softening up now and tells me "no... they ain't for sale... now or never... i like lookin' at em' and they are stayin' right where they are". i now figure its time to exit so i tell em' thanks for their time and start heading down the walk. she then yells to me "hey... maybe they are for sale".so... back up the walk i go. she says she wants 1,500.00 each. i figure i must be on mars and what justifys that price ? . she says " thats what barker gets ". now i'm trying to figure out who the hell barker is. the only thing i can think of is we got another collector up here by the name of BAKER. i figure that old baker was here and had the same luck i was having and struck out so he must have told her they was worth a million dollars each to screw up the deal for those who followed. i says what makes baker such an expert. she says " not BAKER... BARKER... the guy on t.v." . then it hits me...THE PRICE IS RIGHT..... HA... oh my god... she is comparing restored pumps on a game show to the junk she got sitting in her yard. i figure let me get the hell outta' here. so i tell her i ain't got that much money in my wallet... bid em' both a nice day and head home. now.... after a few years i came to find out that she had passed on. i took a ride up there and the pumps were gone. i tell myself to let it be. i had fun with the fiesty old girl and her son. yeah.. boys.. its all in the game. oh... by the way.. they were TWO wayne 60's.

#83935 Mon Mar 10 2003 12:38 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great stories - OK - heres my modest story - Years ago I entered a Von Dutch art contest in Auto trader magazine. Being a fan of Von Dutch and Kustom cars I quickly did a flying eye ball motif and some pin striping around it and sent it off to the magazine - a couple of months went by and truth be known I forgot about it. I picked up an auto trader at the store to page through while my Son was at the Dentist and low and behold - There was my artwork - i had been the Grand Prize winner of the contest - WOW - but no one had contacted me??? - I called the magazine to find out what was going on - the guy who was suppose to contact me got sick and forgot. I had won a set of power window lift kits for my ride. Although i didnt need or want power lift kits in my 53 Chevy - I was happy to have won the contest. What does this have to do with gas and oil you say? Well - a couple of Months later I get a call from a local Rod and Custom builder here in Seattle - He says - I picked up an old gas pump in a deal and want to get rid of it and he knew I loved that stuff. He didnt know what it was but I should come look at it. I went directly over there and it was a Wayne 605 from 1957 - Country Store fresh Fire chief. I didnt have much dough at the time but offered up the window kits and he bit. He said he would throw the kits in something he would build in the future but had to take the pump that day to get it out of there. I obliged. In essence I guess I drew a flying eyeball for a nice Wayne Fire Chief Pump - I was pretty Happy.

Hubba

------------------
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hubbasgasandoilpitstop/

Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Seattle WA
#83936 Sat Mar 15 2003 08:22 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think it is a great idea to have a stories
page here on this website. I am in a drought
at the moment in regards to finding/buying
pumps. They seem to be drying up here in my
neck of the woods. Just about every pump I
have has some story behind it, some more interesting than others. I have found that my brothers as well as friends have found many more of my pumps than I have.
A few years ago my younger brother told
me about a pump he had viewed near the side
of the road at an old sawmill. The pump was
about an hour from my house. An older brother and I went to check out the pump,
we found a nice complete Wayne 60. We were
not able to fine anyone around. We went back
a week later in the middle of a light snowstorm. We saw smoke coming out of the
chimney from one of the buildings. Inside we
found two oldtimers. One of them was sitting
at a desk, while the other sat off a ways. I
asked if they had any interest in selling the old gas pump. The gentleman at the desk
sort of chuckled, he then proceeded to open
the top desk drawer and pull out a stack of
handwritten notes and business cards. He
explained that these were notes from people
who had expressed interest in the pump over
the years. He told me that I could add my note/offer if I wanted to. I told him that I
was here to buy the pump, not add my name to
their list (I said this in a most polite
manner). The man behind the desk told me that
it wasn't for sale. I asked what the best
offer was for the pump. He started reading
the notes/offers, by the time he finished the
best offer that I heard was $400.00. I really didn't want to pay that much, the
most I had ever paid for a pump was $150.00.
I offered him $500.00, which to me was a
great deal of money for a pump. Surprisingly
he did not instantly turn down the offer, he
seemed intrigued by it. This is when the old
timer in the corner chimed in, he started
talking about how they should call all of the people that had left offers and see it
any of them would beat my offer.
This was when my older brother chimed in
about whether the pump was still wired/bolted
down. We were able to get the owners out into the cold and snow to look at the pump.
We found the pump was sitting on the cement
setting but was not bolted down, I offered
them $500.00 again. The primary guy stood
for a while thinking about it and finally
excepted my offer. My brother and I quickly
cut the wires to the pump with a pair of
dikes and slid it into the back of his van.
We left quickly before the two men changed
their minds. That is how I got the Wayne 60
that is sitting in my cellar waiting to be
restored. I plan on restoring it to Gilmour
colors, with the intersecting V's paint
scheme with no globe. It is hard to convey in a story how exhilerating the purchase of
my pump was, I'm sure many of you have
experienced the same emotions when you first
drove away with a pump that you thought you
had no chance of buying. I still can't figure out why those guys sold me their pump. I do know that it went to a good home.

#83937 Sat Mar 15 2003 08:35 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
OK, heres another one! I've had a couple great scoops as you've read here, but this one beats them all. I just got this pump, its a fairly rare Bowser 300E.

I bought it over the internet, paid more than its worth, and didn't have to drive very far because I had it delivered. Some how, this story lacks the juice of some of my other pump finds, but man it's a great pump and I'm really happy to have it!
Thanks.......Lance
pogogas@telus.net
www.pogogas.com

P.S. I'm looking for the globe holder like the one in the upper right corner, or an original to copy, even a good picture with measurements would be appreciated.

[This message has been edited by pogogas (edited 03-15-2003).]

#83938 Sat Mar 15 2003 09:14 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
WHAT GIVES??? WHATS THE STORY?? AWESOME PUMP!!!!! I HAVE 14 OF THOSE GLOBE HOLDERS IN THE BASEMENT..{ I WISH!!!]] IF I HAD ONE IT WOULD BE YOURS!! GREAT PUMP LANCE!! FRANK....

#83939 Sun Mar 16 2003 11:33 PM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
pump stories are back up. it was great back in the late 80s. you could take a nice country drive & come home with somethin for nothin. man there were pumps all over then. now its gettin real tough to find anything anymore. and it seems like i hear of a new collector in my area about once a month. anyway this one dosent have a very good ending. this friend of mine found me a nice visible pump while hunting out in the middle of nowhere at a farm. so we went there one afternoon. its was a nice fry #71. i ran up & knocked on the door. the kitchen light was on, radio on, dog hangin around by the door. but no answer. we stood around a few minutes. but no action. we took a drive awhile, scouting around then went back. still no answer. so we went home. a few months later i went back there knocked and waited around but nobody home again. i couldnt figure it out. well about 3 months later im kinda in that area with my honey hittin some small town antique shops. and i decide to swing over there. we get there and someones finally there. and he turns out to be a customer of ours that parks in the street every time he comes. (busy street, no parking out there.)we figured he has no reverse. hey hes all excited to see us. (or anyone.) i say hey how you doin? how you gonna get turned around where your parked? did you get the ol S-10 fixed? he looks at me funny. i said your the guy who parks in the street all the time and walks in. yep he says i dont wanna back into anything thats why. we laughed. (hes really old.) anyway i ask about the pump. oh i suppose id sell it what do you offer? i said i dont know, how about $200.00? oh he says ive been offered that already. well it looks nice ill pay 300.00 today since i brought the lady with the purse. well thats not a bad offer he said. he points to my honey, will you buy her a new brush and some red paint so she can restore it? i said sure well. we'll stop on the way home and get her a brand new brush. hah! well he says ill think about it. but you be sure to stop back. ok i tell him but your never here. oh he says i dont live here. i grew up here i come everyday to feed my horse and dogs. he lives about 4 miles from me, which is 30 miles from the pump. man i thought i had it that day. that was 10 years ago. ive stopped back there 20 times in the last 10 years. & he keeps tellin me to stop back. hes nice to visit with and the farms full of other goodies. hes showed me around several times. but i want that fry. hes old like almost 90. i dont know how long he'll be drivin. i was just there last month again. but no pump. he remembers the 300. & tells everyone that inquires about it that ive been there already. i dont think im gonna ever own it. but man ive sure tried!!! tom.

#83940 Mon Mar 17 2003 12:02 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Good Luck Tom ...be persistant. Maybe he just keeps you visiting because he knows he left it to you in his will and thats your reward for givin' the old guy some social contact...hopefully right? Good luck - hope its yours someday.

Hubba

Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Seattle WA
#83941 Mon Mar 17 2003 09:09 AM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Man , i thought i heard everything, i've heard of living 26 miles from your woman , but your DOG!!! Never !!!!

#83942 Mon Mar 17 2003 09:41 AM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Tom , heres a good tip and it may be easier because you already know him. (you didnt metion what he was a customer for) Look around the guys place and figure out what he NEEDS or better LIKES. Then get it for him. A lot of times farmers are using well used patched up old equipment, this is even better, because they usually never had anything BRAND NEW !! So. the idea of a brand new Chainsaw, Leafblower, TV, Fridge, Drill press, Chop Saw etc can sound pretty darn exciting. Just amazing how all of a sudden that old Harley/Indian they would never ever sell leaps on your truck, when you show up with a used running tractor that newer than theirs or theirs is broken!! To quote a buddy, " You are going to give me a BRAND NEW FRIDGE !!! (Costco 300 Canuckbucks) for that old Coke Machine!!!(VENDO 44 working) Are you starting to get the idea?? All that guy wanted was a fridge for the shop , everybody was happy, Bad part at his age , might be hard to find something he wants or needs, GOOD LUCK, Frank

#83943 Mon Mar 17 2003 09:59 AM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Well I'll through the one out there about my Tohkiem 850, About 7 years ago, while working, driveing the county roads in the area I was asigned,I stopped near a farmers drive way to cut a burm in some tire tracks left in the mud near the driveway so the water can run out of the road , the ol boy comes out an starts to talk about this an that , I notice while we talked that he had a lot of Signal 1/4 barrels by a dock they made for servicing farm equipment, well I told him about my collecting ol gas an oil stuff, an he said they uses to use Seaside, being they only lived about 1/2 mile from the old bulk plant, I told him ol George had given me some stuff from his station that was a Seaside at one time and because he was so nice to me I was going to have a plaque made in his name and hang it in my Station when I built it,he says "will every one should leave something behind with there name on it ," He says "How big a plaque would I git if I give you a pump," I said a little bigger then Georges, he says "If you can come by this week end and pick it up you can have it, it came from the ol Seaside distributor back in 1952, so I think well its a small tohkiem,or some thing , he says "Its got wrighting on the glass you might not want it, I asked to see it an he said its back in the back of the barn he'll have his boys move it out , well I thought thats it, the BOYS, will get pissed and that will be the end of it , so I show up at 6:30 . well he was up, as I was counting on that , he was about 75, so the boys , ha ha , they're in their 50ties , the pump was out , holy crap ,there it was a Tokhiem 850, no dents,no dings, the faces like new,NOW,you have to look around, can't beieve this can happen, luck isn't that good.
I go over to it and look at the glass, thats what was bothering me, I couldn't brlieve it, on the face glass was etched a triangle with the word Seaside in it plus the sea gull, he comes out and says you better get that thing outa here, my grand sons on his way over to look at the pump, my oldest son told him about it , I said, "I didn't want to be in the middle of a family thing ," he said "you know how long that pumps been in that barn, an they showed no interist in it before ,so we loaded it up, now I'd only been collecting for about 4 months, I had found and remember other pumps but not like this , well its on my website, for some of you that has never seen it on show an tell , ha , http://www.caltel.com/~jlgas/ but I will post a picture of the face glass if I can get it to come out , stand by.

[This message has been edited by Dwaine Buck (edited 03-17-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Dwaine Buck (edited 03-17-2003).]

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved