Next Thread
Print Thread
#8337 Thu Feb 22 2001 09:41 AM
B
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
Is lubester a generic enough term to apply to any "vintage", square, waist high tank, with a hand pump on it, that is used to dispence oil. What about a Bennett model 656 series 1005 that fits the above description; would it be considered a lubester, and of any special interest?

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#8338 Fri Mar 02 2001 11:41 AM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
The term "lubester" is actually a hard term to define. It seems be a term we collectors have put on some equipment, rather than a term was used years ago by the manufacturers. We generally call any square or round floor container with a hand pump, that pumps oil, a lubester, but what do we call the same piece of equipment that was made to pump gasoline, kerosene or paint thinner? Maybe we should come up with a better term. Your Bennett 656 was introduced around 1925, three years after Bennett went in busisness. It remained in producton into the 1950s. I find no mention of the 1005, could this be the 1065, introduced about the same time? The 656 was called the "High Boys" by Bennett and were very popular. Bennett at this time was in the lube and oil dispensing equipment business, they didn't make a gas pump until almost 1930.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
#8339 Fri Mar 02 2001 01:15 PM
B
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
Hi, Jack. Thanks, Jack, for the generous information on my Bennet Lubester question.
You seem to be pretty knowledgable, as are many of the folks that support the oldgas forum.

The reference materials I have mostly cover gas pumps, so I'm at a loss to determine if there is much collector or trade value in early 1900 lubesters, such as this typical Bennett 656, or even a rarer Bowser wooden cabinet model. Any thoughts or direction on resources to anwer this question?

#8340 Sun Mar 04 2001 12:02 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Lubesters do attract some attention. After restoring a few pumps,it seems everyone will eventually restore a lubester. Older lubesters attract the most attention, especially the ones with glass cylinders and ones which were on wheels. Ones with dual tanks are also desirable. You could line up lubesters from any manufacturer, such as your 656, and all of us would have to look at the I.D. tag to see who made them, as they will all look alike. As for values, unrestored lubesters usually go for less than $100.00 (unless they are unusual), restored lubesters are harder to sell, the theory here is that I can do it myself, and I would rather do it in green then the color it is now. Lubesters such as the Bowsers in a wooden cabinet are always desirable, as they date from before 1910 and again are unusual. If I was trying to make money I wouldn't go out a look for lubesters to stockpile.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved