Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#82927 Thu Dec 20 2007 08:31 AM
Jarvis Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Joe, It's not about outboard only. It could have been about signs or cans or pumps or globes but the outboard thread is what made me think about it. We had 3 or 4 COTM going there for a little bit. I just wanted to see what other people thought.

We have a new "OF THE MONTH" every week and if we had 6 or 8 past threads going along with the new ones it's hard to look at everything. I like to look at all the threads even if i don't post something in that topic.
I only have 2 things outboard and they are already posted... 2 Skelly bottles. LOL

Great job to all the guys and the hard work that goes into OF THE MONTHS!

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#82928 Thu Dec 20 2007 08:54 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
JarvisI'm just saying that if a thread has alot of intrest I don't feel it should end at the month if theres more to contribute.I'm hoping that Kurts thread on gas station photos keeps going,I love checking the new photos everyday,I would hate to see that come to a stop just because it's time for it to end.I'm not trying to stir the pot or upset anyone I'm just giving my opinion.
I also want thank the all the guys that take the time to do the various threads every month.
Joe

#82929 Thu Dec 20 2007 11:35 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I for one really enjoyed the outboard stuff.
I can understand the problem that it created for the other COTM, but it was popular...
Chuck (kmann).....this texaspelican has been married to a gal from Buffalo, New York for the past 28 years.....we go to New York state every two years. We also go to Vermont and New Hampshire....I would like to visit and see your collection and anybody elses during that time. Also if anyone is in my neck of the woods is more than welcome to stop and visit with me...
anyway, I know where you are coming from Jarvis.
Outboard was the best "of the month"...thanks Chuck for starting it....maybe I can do a Hawaiian shirt of the month...LOL

------------------
Paddy
WTB Billups, Ride with Rose, Spar, Canal, Gulf Coast, and Galtex gas and Oil related items.

[This message has been edited by texaspelican (edited 12-20-2007).]

Paddy
Wanted. Billups, Ride with Rose, Har-V, LORECO, STANOCOLA, Pan Am (early), Hurricane, Evangeline, Canal, Gulf Coast, oil companies.
#82930 Thu Dec 20 2007 01:12 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Paddy, If you do the shirts I have quite a few to add to the thread. Jack

#82931 Thu Dec 20 2007 04:19 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
HAWAIIAN SHIRT OF THE MONTH??? OH NOOOO.................LOL

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
#82932 Thu Dec 20 2007 04:25 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm the one that set the schedule for the "Of The Month" topics. As Jim has pointed out there was never a rule that said you couldn't add content after the scheduled time, but we encouraged everyone to wrap their features up on schedule.
However, the reason Kmann's Petroliana Collectible Of The Month topic even went into the second month was because someone was unable to start their PCOTM feature as scheduled. Chuck did email me (I was still a moderator then) and ask if it was OK to continue.

While the outboard topic will certainly be remembered for its post count, its my understanding the sign pole thermometer topic got more page views during the time both topics were current.

Don't mistake lack of participation in GOTM for lack of interest. I used to track page views for all the showcase features. You might be surprised at the numbers if you had a chance to see them.
The repro guys snagged a few pictures from this site. That had a huge negative impact on Globe Of The Month. Its not an issue of lack of interest in globes. When I hosted GOTM some collectors that had been very supportive of GOTM told me they were no longer going to post their globe pictures because of the repro guys.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#82933 Thu Dec 20 2007 05:13 PM
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
Bob... thank you for stepping up to the plate. i was considering writing exactly what you have said in this post. then i said to myself... NAHHHHHHHHH... forget about it. not worth it. i hope this damn thing is now put to rest. criers.. send me your address so i can send you one big damn towel... with an "outboard" on it. lifes too short.... have some fun !!!!... thanks again bob...

chuck

#82934 Thu Dec 20 2007 07:07 PM
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
ahhhh.. paddy... no problems... only solutions. what i want to say to you here is that... you are welcome to our house, in albany n.y., any damn time you want. also.. we are about one hour out of bennington vermont and the redhead and me spend ALOT of time up there in some of our favorite territory in arlington and manchester. so please join us on the fabled batten kill trout stream. also.. we have a condo up in the BEAUTIFUL white mountains of new hampshire in north conway. soooooo.. we got all the bases covered... lol... please join us.

chuck

#82935 Thu Dec 20 2007 07:13 PM
S
S
I don't mind the "*** of the Month" topics going over the month limit. Just shows continued interest, and it's a perfect opportunity to post a pic if you find something related outside of the month in question. I could only suggest that the thread title be changed to (eg.) January 2008 ******* of the Month - ie., include the actual month and year. This could aid in searches.

(Another thing that could really help in searches is if we label the content of the pictures we post. For instance, if you are posting a picture of a 1926 Evinrude Engine, put this text in with the photo.
I'm on killer-slow dialup, and waiting for all the pictures to load while searching for one particular thing can take a loooooong time... but I digress...)

Always looking for Texaco Canada, Supertest, White Rose, McColl Frontenac, and Miller Oil Co. info.
#82936 Thu Dec 20 2007 07:18 PM
Jarvis Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Kmann,
Premier Scales and Systems
Attn: John Jarvis
4901 N. St. Joseph Ave
Evansville, In 47720
Bigger the towel the better.

LOL

#82937 Thu Dec 20 2007 07:45 PM
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Jarvis writes:

we say p it positive with no bashing or i will tell Jim to delete the topic.

John would it be a safe bet to call you a watchdog ? When you can "tell" Jim to delete something.

LOL

TEE

#82938 Thu Dec 20 2007 07:48 PM
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
comin' to ya JJ.... you owe me 50 bucks in postage !!!... lol...

#82939 Thu Dec 20 2007 07:51 PM
Jarvis Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
LOL I can't tell Jim anything. I should have wrote "ask Jim to Delete it" since i was the one who started this thread. I just don't like to see negative replys any more than anyone else on here. I am in this hobby for fun not to get mad everyday... then it would be like going to work everyday. LOL

Who are the watchdogs anyone know?

#82940 Thu Dec 20 2007 07:56 PM
Jarvis Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
$50 bucks in postage! Third party shipping? LOL
I just paid $18.50 to ship some shakers to me... third party shipping! over 80 sets and up until now never paid more than $6 or $7 to ship a set. New record for me.
Checks in the mail Kmann... hope USPS doesn't loose it.

#82941 Fri Dec 21 2007 08:25 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I can understand the "limits" that are "understood" and the reasons for them. However, this site is as much a learning and research exercise for me as it is for the enjoyment of the hobby. I have this wonderful right called choice. I choose to come here, I choose what I'm going to view. I generally view most topics at some point and I'm often amazed at what there is to learn from everyone. Things I thought may not interest me, end up fascinating. If it bores me, I choose to move on to other topics. If there is a lot of interest in a particular area, that in of itself is interesting to me. You can learn a lot about what interests people, where market interests are just by noticing what people choose to be a part of. I find it actually a loss if something stops short of it's full potential. I'm by no means as computer literate as I'd like to be, but it seems to me that those of you that are could find a way of continuing popular topics while allowing new topics to start on time without interference. Renaming, relocating, dating a title by month, break off and continue to an extension forum.....something must be possible even if there's some other solution that would do. What I'm trying to say here is, the more on here to keep one's interest, the more interest there will be. Boy! I just went WAY over my own 30 word limit! I know, that was a terrible attempt at humor....but I think you'll understand the point..........MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE! Dave

........Dave

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved