Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#82694 Tue Oct 14 2003 10:06 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I get alot of emails with questions about globes. I'll try to answer some of them with this month's globe of the month. We're going to do something a little different this month. We're going to post pictures of as many different types of globe bodies. It's very important to know the differences in the types of globe bodies if you're going to collect globes.
Here are the types of globe bodies:
Capco #216(plastic);
"old" Capco (plastic);
wide Capco (plastic)
oval Capco (plastic)and oval glass;....[these aren't really oval, they're eliptical];
narrow glass;
wide glass;
there are also wide and narrow glass with screw on, and crimped on bases;
Gill;
ripple Gill;
Hull;
banded glass;
Balcrank;
These are also known with different types of bases;
one piece narrow, glass;
one piece wide, glass;
one piece rounded wide, glass;
in addition to the different shapes, there are etched, cast, and versions with baked on paint;
high profile metal;
low profile metal;
and a host of figural globe bodies.
Bob

[This message has been edited by Lastgas15 (edited 10-15-2003).]

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#82695 Tue Oct 14 2003 10:21 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I'll get us started with two versions of capco bodies.

The version on the left is a capco #216. Each half is exactly the same. Each half has two tabs to hold the lenses in the proper position. You'll find "Capcolite 216" and some other writing near the base on this type of body. The capco body was available in white,red, yellow, orange, blue, green, shiny gold, creamy yellow, and probably some other colors.

The body on the right is an old capco. These were the first plastic bodied globes. This style body dates from 1932 and '33. Look closely at the top. Each half is different. Each half has two tabs to locate the lenses. Most of the old capco bodies I've seen are discolored. This version says Capcolite on just one half. These old capco bodies are made out of a harder, more brittle plastic. These were made in white and red for sure. Other colors were probably used too.
[img]http://members.aol.com/lastgas15/capcobodies[/img]
There really isn't much difference in value between these two types of capco bodies (if they are the same color, and condition).
Some of the rarer colors can bring 4 times what a white one would fetch.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

#82696 Wed Oct 15 2003 07:01 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bob:

Question for you globe guys (& gals).

Can you put the new 13.5" reproduction lenses on the 13.5" reproduction milk glass globe bodies? Or do you need an original 'style' of lenses to make this arrangement work?

Thanks in advance for the answer.

Later . . .

Jim

#82697 Wed Oct 15 2003 04:35 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have posted this before but now i am sure it will be the only one posted because there are not very many of these. This is a ballcrank globe. Notice most wide and narrow bodies the lenes mount at 3,9 where these lenes mount at 12,4,8. I know Skelly, Mobil and BP made ballcrank globes but are there any others? Why did they mount these lenes differant?

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
#82698 Wed Oct 15 2003 05:46 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Jim,
I don't know if the repop lenses will fit a repop glass body. Better ask one of the repop vendors. Why not spring for an all original globe (unless you're going to display it outside)? You can't go wrong buying good original globes.

John,
Add Johnson and Marland to that list. Don't know why Balcrank bodies are different than other brands.
Most lenses that are notched for a balcrank body, are also notched for a regular glass body, giving them five notches.
A guy told me he had a spare balcrank body he'd sell me. I drove 60 miles to get it. He changed his mind and wouldn't sell it. I wasn't happy!
Bob

#82699 Wed Oct 15 2003 06:03 PM
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
T-Way, just 15 minutes ago I put repo lenses on a repo glass body. Fit well with no problems. The lenses don't rock at all, a good fit. Can't say they are all that way but the few I've done fit very well.

#82700 Wed Oct 15 2003 07:26 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Bob, excellent thread--I always wondered about this stuff being a sign collector and all...

There's no stopping the Cretins from hopping
You've got to keep it beating for the hopping Cretins
#82701 Wed Oct 15 2003 08:03 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great thread Pops. I just recently got a green capco on Ebay which I thought was original. When I recieved it today there were no "capco" markings on it at all. I was curious because it looked old. I looked in the globe books and found out in the early 80's the reproduced plastic bodies with no capco markings on it until someone along the way found the original casting, now most if not all repop plastic bodies have "capco" embossed on them. Looks like i have a real early reproduction that might have been displayed outside ..giving it that aged look. I am glad I didnt pay alot for it. It will still look good..just gotta find some original lenses that go good with a green body.
----------------------------------------
hubba

Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Seattle WA
#82702 Wed Oct 15 2003 10:42 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Here are a couple of metal bodied globes. Both take 15" lenses. The one on the left is a high profile body. The one on the right a low profile.
The globe book says metal bodies were first produced in 1914! Some oil companies used metal body globes well into the 60's.

Sometimes the low profile bodies are a bit smaller in diameter(about 14 7/8") and won't hold all 15" lenses.

Most metal globe bodies have 6 " bases. Some companies used 7" bases.

The most common sizes of metal globe bodies are 15" and 16 1/5". There were a few other sizes, but they are extremely rare. Many collectors think the 16 1/5" globes are older than the 15". The heavy hitters say it's the other way around! 16 1/2" bodies didn't show up until the 20's.

The Pure globe pictured above is white porcelain. There are other colors of porcelain/metal bodies. Yellow, orange, and I think red have been discovered. All that I know of are high profile. There are probably more colors of porcelain/metal bodies out there. The metal bodies with porcelain are worth quite a bit more than the painted versions.
Bob

[This message has been edited by Lastgas15 (edited 10-16-2003).]

#82703 Thu Oct 16 2003 07:36 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
GREAT TOPIC BOB.. I'VE LEARNED ALOT ALREADY.. ONE QUESTION THOUGH,, YOU DATED THOSE PLASTIC BODIES IN THE EARLY THIRTIES,, I THOUGHT PLASTIC WAS DISCOVERED/INVENTED AROUND W.W.2.???? CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG,, BUT THE HISTORY CHANNEL HAD A THING ON PLASTIC AWHILE BACK AND I COULD OF SWORE THE WAR #2 WAS WHEN IT WAS MADE PRACTICAL FOR USE?? ON A LITTLE DIFFERENT NOTE,, WHAT INSPIRED YOU TO BECOME A GLOBE KING?? WHAT WHY AND WHERE?? I REMEMBER YOU MENTIONING SOMETHING AWHILE AGO ABOUT THIS,, BUT REFRESH OUR MEMORIES.. THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP ON THAT KANOTEX GLOBE,, THERE WERE SOME UPSET LOCALS AT THAT AUCTION WHO THOUGHT THEY WERE GONNA GET IT FOR $300.00,, [FOR A LAMP SHADE..] ME AND THIS OTHER GUY SHOWED THEM,, $1650.00,, AND IT WAS MINE ,,FOR A COUPLE WEEKS,, THEN IT HAD TO GO, THATS A HALF A YEARS WAGE HERE IN IDAHO.... OH' YEAH,, YOUR STILL ON THE LIST FOR THE GUY'S COLLECTION WHEN HE DECIDES TO SELL.. I WON'T FORGET ABOUT YOU.. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP AND WISDOM..... FRANK "THE T-BONE////// "

[This message has been edited by T-BONE (edited 10-16-2003).]

#82704 Thu Oct 16 2003 08:27 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
T-BONE,
There are different types of plastic. Most of the early plastics were very brittle. It was right around WW2 when the use of plastic became more commonplace. Did you ever see the pictures of Henry Ford swinging an axe at the plastic trunk lid on his 41 Ford? Ford developed, or helped develope a soy bean based plastic that was very pliable.

Why globes?
Like most of us, I was a car guy. It just seemed natural to collect gas station junk. My first petro collectible was a Conoco globe with a green plastic body. One of our customers gave it to me. He said it was from 1936. That was in 1981. I wish I had really started collecting then! I didn't become a "collector" until 1995. I bought mostly cheap cans a few cheap signs, and one or two globes a year. I decided I'd rather have globes than the other stuff. I sold alot of my collection, so I could buy more globes.

At first I thought you buried yourself in that Kanotex globe. Just goes to show that you can't go wrong buying good stuff.

Thanks for the kind words.
Bob

#82705 Sat Oct 18 2003 07:23 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Rex sent me this picture. Thats a black porcelain body. Anyone ever see another?

[This message has been edited by Lastgas15 (edited 10-18-2003).]

#82706 Sun Oct 19 2003 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Here are three different types of wide glass bodies.
On the left is a wide body for 12 1/2" lenses.
The body in the center is the more common version that holds 13 1/2" lenses. Note the flanged glass base.
The globe on the right has a screw on metal base. This one happens to be a 7" base. Most are 6".

#82707 Wed Oct 22 2003 10:55 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Anyone have an oval GLASS body they can show? How about a banded glass body or a wide capco?

I'll try to post a couple of different types of Gill bodies and a Hull body in the next few days.

Anyone have a 15" glass body with the metal retainers?

If you a globe that has a type of body that hasn't been pictured yet please post a picture.
Bob

#82708 Fri Oct 31 2003 09:08 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Here are three narrow glass bodies.

The body on the left has a screw on metal base. Bodies like this are more desireable than the flanged glass base to many collectors so they are valued higher. Screw on bases were made from steel, copper, or aluminum. This type body is now being reproduced (unmarked I've heard)so be careful!
The body in the center is the most common type of glass body. It has a 6" flanged glass base. Many companies made this type of body so there are lots of slight variations.
The body on the right is a reproduction, unmarked of course.

One thing thats the same on the narrow and wide bodies is that the lenses are held on with brass screws at the 3:00 and 9:00 positions.
Ballcrank bodies are the same except there are three screws holding each lens. Take a close look at the Skelly globe John posted above.
There are glass bodies with crimped on metal bases. Can anyone share a picture of one?
I'd like a detailed picture of a banded glass body without a lens so everyone can see how the lenses are held in.
I'm working on getting pictures of other types of globe bodies from other collectors. If you have something that hasn't been pictured, email a picture to me.
Thanks,
Bob

[This message has been edited by Lastgas15 (edited 10-31-2003).]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved