Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#791811 Mon May 29 2023 11:38 AM
skynyrd Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello, I am looking to possibly get back in the gas pump hobby. About 10+ years ago, I had a Tokheim 300 and then an M&S 80 that I tried to restore. Unfortunately, I got in over my head with both pumps with all it took to restore them, and ended up selling them off. Back in that timeframe, it seems that those were selling for around $300-$350. Now it seems I'm lucky to find a Tokheim 300 or similar vintage pump for less than 1,000 unrestored.

I did run into a Tokheim Interceptor 457 for $300 that someone posted local to me. I thought that was probably a great deal, but just wanted to check with you all. It does have a dented panel or two, but otherwise straight with no badly rusted spots. I know I will need to replace the ad glass, gaskets, and one of the curved glass windows. Is that a pretty good deal? I know the Interceptor 450s aren't as collectable as the 300s. The 457 does seem easy to restore, since a lot of it is stainless steel... Just the front pieces and the frame would probably need to be redone. I had planned on getting those stripped and powder coated.

Honestly, I would probably be happy with an old Gilbarco pump from the 80s, that was what I remember most stations having around here when I was growing up. But seems that those are pretty hard to find nowadays too, probably since they aren't really collectable, they all have went straight to the recycler.. I have kinda gave up on finding a reasonably priced 300 and I like the 457 just about as much, so it may be a good option for me.

Last edited by skynyrd; Mon May 29 2023 11:52 AM.

MS80 pump in restoration
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
skynyrd #791824 Tue May 30 2023 10:14 AM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
The 457 will usually rust behind the horizontal stainless strip that is just below the curved glass, be sure to remove the upper panels and check the backside as usually this rust is not very visible from the outside. You will need to reuse the rubber for the curved glass as I’m pretty sure it is not available (someone else may know if there’s a source?).

skynyrd #793122 Sun Jul 02 2023 08:02 PM
C
C
I started out trying to restore a 452 Interceptor - hard to find good used upper panels with advertising glass - rusted out easily!!

1 member likes this: Yellowzebra

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved