#785588 Tue Dec 20 2022 07:52 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member

1aaaahansn.PNG

RANDY
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
R
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
R
Interesting read, thanks for posting Randy.

Looking for photos, etc from 60s era Shell-A-Rama gas station and Pal's Diner, Rt. 17 Mahwah, NJ
& US or state highway signs, shields, route markers
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That story brought back a childhood memory that was similar to the Hancock fire. I lived a block away from a ROCO (Radio Oil) refinery and went to a school kitty corner to the same refinery. It was a known fire hazard, having had a few fires already. I was in grade 3 (1962) when it went up in flames, and through most of the fire, we stayed in school. That is until a large tank full of gas was finally in jeopardy. Then the people in charge said, "What about the kids?" We assumed the cold war position for a nuclear bomb, tucked under the desk. Futile, I know, but it was the fail-safe move of the time. I guess they thought the big church between us and the fire would keep us safe. That and a lot of praying.
Finally, someone thought to evacuate us from the school by walking us out the back door and away through the school grounds. The tank never blew, and the fire was contained. The ROCO refinery was shut down. It was considered contaminated and was unused except as a storage facility. In 1978, ROCO was sold to Husky.

1 member likes this: muntzman
Good story…

And nice picture!

RichmondAuctions.com
Now Accepting Consignments

I love watching old TV shows much more than new shows. One of my all-time favorite shows is Adam 12. There is one episode that shows the police car driving by a Hancock gas station, with a large sign out front. It's only a split second that it shows it. There is a Standard gas station in the early episodes that Pete and Jim always drive by and a large Standard sign I drool over!

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved