Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
OP Offline
S
I posted some 'before and after' pics of my Esso Pole and sign some years ago. Since then my sign blew down (winds can get fierce in this valley). As I contemplate getting some vintage, swinging hangars to properly hang my sign, I noticed considerable rust where the pole sets into the base. I was worried that the pole might break in a strong wind.
It is hard to find anyone who can weld cast iron. While cleaning out the rust between the base and the pole I took a closer look at the issue. Some of the 'rippled' metal rusted away and there appears to be a plain metal pole underneath the rippled skin. Am I right about this? In other words, is the ripple part of the outside skin laminated on top of a regular pole? If so,
I think that part appears to be rust free and I can stop worrying about it and just concentrate on finding some proper hangers for my Esso sign. Thanks!

oldgassignpolequestion.jpg
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
P
Petro Enthusiast
Online Content
Petro Enthusiast
P
No Those poles were formed in the flutued shape when they were made.

S
OP Offline
S
Thanks for your response. Anyone have any suggestions how to properly repair this pole so it doesn't break off in a strong wind?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
All the Esso “Major” poles I’ve had did indeed have another smaller tube inserted from the bottom and it extends about 5’ up inside the fluted pole. This is true also with both Esso “Minor” poles that I have. They are double walled up to about the 5’ mark. The base on your Major is cast iron but the pole is steel.

Michael

Last edited by 57-Chevy; Fri Aug 06 2021 08:36 AM.

KJV Psalms 16:11

Thou wilt shew me the path of life:
in thy presence is fulness of joy;
at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.
S
OP Offline
S
Well. that explains what looks to be a peeling away of the rippled skin of the pole where it meets the base. Where it has rusted away, you can actually stick a pencil up under that rippled part for a couple of inches. However, the 'tube' appears to be solid, so I'm going to try to do some cosmetic work on the rusted out rippled 'skin' and assume the pole will withstand the winds in our valley. Thank you very much for the info.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved