License Plate Topper for Liberty Aircraft from Farmingdale, NY
Liberty Aircraft was founded in 1932 by Charles Kirkham and Robert Simon and was known as the Kirkham Engineering and Manufacturing Company. Robert Simon was the factory manager and test pilot for Lawrence Sperry. In 1936, the plant operations were moved to the former Sperry plant on Motor Avenue in Farmingdale. The aircraft division was established in 1938.
In 1940, the firm became Liberty Aircraft Products Corporation. Liberty became the prime subcontractor in the East making aircraft parts for Grumman, Republic, Martin, Curtiss, Fairchild, Brewster, Vought, Skirorsky, and others. It produced aircraft parts and metal finishing work during World War II and the Korean War. In 1940, Charles Kirkham left the company and Robert Simon took over.
In 1941, Liberty acquired stock control of the Autocar Company of Philadelphia. After Pearl Harbor, Liberty produced the parts for the world famous Wildcats, Hellcats, Bearcats, and Avengers planes. During the war, they were the first plant in Nassau County to subscribe one hundred percent for payroll participation of war bond purchases.
The company became known through the east coast as an outstanding producer in the field. It won the Army-Navy E Production Award in 1943.
Last edited by Topper; Mon Jul 05 2021 09:31 AM.