Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Looking good!

I enjoy the stories as much as the globes! Great story Bob. Dick, until I saw the picture I didn't realize you were so young! It is interesting how a random event can lead to a lifelong passion for collecting a particular item!

A little while ago I was at Scott Benjamin's house and we got talking about first globe's and I took a photo of him with his first one. Scott is a household name to most collectors. He has co-authored numerous books and publishes Petroleum Collectibles Magazine.

Scott is a full time globe dealer and has owned thousands of globes over the years including some of the rarest and best. Yet his story starts simply over 34 years ago. He had been to the Smithsonian Institute in Washington D.C. with his parents had seen a full size gas station on display there. Scott though it was the neatest thing he had ever seen, especilly the visible pumps. He started watching the local For Sale paper and one week he saw an ad for a visible pump a guy had for sale. He went and looked at the pump and a deal was made on the pump. After the transaction the guy said "Let me get the globe for you". The guy had a barn full of boxes and junk and it took a better part of an hour to find the globe. It turned out to be a Texaco on a screw base body and the lenses were in poor condition. The guy handed him the globe as carefully as a new born baby and told Scott "Be very carefull with this, if you break it you will never find another one".

A few weeks went by and Scott had his pump home and he started thinking, "I had better see if I can find another globe in case the one I have ever gets broken". This was back in the 70s when you could still find globes on pumps in Northern Ohio. Well, as we all know that faded Texaco globe led to a liftime of globe collecting for him!

The moral of this story and the reason I am sharing it here is - If you are young, (or not so young), even if you can only afford inexpensive globes, it is still possible with time, ambition, and upgrading to build an impressive collection of anything!

Thanks for all you contributions to Globe of the Month and there is still plenty of time to share your story!

Lonnie

[This message has been edited by olddutchgas (edited 03-01-2008).]

Wanted: Ripple Body Globes, picture globe, any Dixie Distributors keyhole gas pump globe and ANYTHING from Old Dutch Refining, Muskegon, MI Musgo sign
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks Lonnie.
Bet most of us looked better 30 years ago ! LOL

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
SO DB....HOW OLD WERE YOU IN 1978?

~DOC

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
and i have to ask,excactly how tall were you when that pic was taken?

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
28 & 6ft [1" taller than I am now].
Camera person was laying on couch trying to get whole pump in 1 picture, didn't work.
db

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Lookin good DB, nice addition to this thread.

Always looking for Ithaca Gun and Lucky Sam soda items!!!

710 Offline
Hi. My first globe is a one-piece Shell. I got it almost 30 years ago. I needed a globe for my first pump and sought out a collector. The Shell was just one among many great globes he owned. He suggested I buy one of his 15" globes. I remember one was a Rainbow. It was a couple hundred dollars more than the Shell but I thought the Shell was better so I passed on it. (Hindsight is always 20/20.) I have many globes more desirable than the Shell, but there's nothing like your first globe, so I give it a place of honor.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Those are two sweet pumps 710, lets see some more pics of them!

Scott Wright
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Hi Guys;
Looks like this post has run its course. If anyone has not gotten around to posting their first globe but would still like to, please feel free to go ahead and do so! Thanks to everone who contributed!

Lonnie

Wanted: Ripple Body Globes, picture globe, any Dixie Distributors keyhole gas pump globe and ANYTHING from Old Dutch Refining, Muskegon, MI Musgo sign
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Hey there all better late than never. I am all back from Cali & back home. Here are my first globe buys. I got all of them at the same time at Rex Bensons auction.

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted by olddutchgas
Hi Guys;
Looks like this post has run its course. If anyone has not gotten around to posting their first globe but would still like to, please feel free to go ahead and do so! Thanks to everone who contributed!

Lonnie
So I stumbled upon this thread and thought it might be worth resuscitation some 13 years later. We have a lot of members who joined since that last post, me included. So here is my first. I wasn't going to get into globes. They were a bit too high end for me but soon found them to be easy to clean, display and when lit up they are really a great piece of advertising artwork. So I wanted something local to where I grew up in Winnipeg MB. And this is what Minuteman sold me, it was in fine form no cleaning required as good as new. And was from a local company whose refinery was just down the road from where we once lived. Perfect start. Just one fault it was one lens. 5 years later I found the other side for the whole globe. Well I am into it now with 35 globes including repops of impossible to get original globes. They are like all things petrolania, they are very addictive

16158323571478099103271088349043.jpg
2 members like this: oldpumpjack, Wasatch Man
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved