Next Thread
Print Thread
#758768 Thu Dec 24 2020 02:40 PM
D
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
D
Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, but I acquired my 866 clockface over 10 years ago. It was already partially disassembled by the guy that gave it to me, so I was already somewhat behind the 8 ball on where some of the pieces went. At any rate, I had it sand blasted in 2009 and it's sat in my Dad's shop since. Due to finally retiring from farming and the Covid shutdown he had time this year to work on the restoration and it's nearing the end. I now have all the pieces but the hip panels at my place. I've been going over it all the last couple days to see if I could remember how it went back together. Due to space constraints I am not a "pump guy" with the knowledge and inventory of pumps past or present to help me with reassembly.

At any rate, my question. I had put a couple items in an envelope that I've identified as a pair of shoulder shims. Here is my question....how in the heck would I know where they were originally placed? I have no recollection of myself finding them when the shoulders were removed, but I'm sure they were in their original location when I got the pump. Do you just pick a side to shim, is it only one bolt down area that gets they pair, or one per shoulder corner to raise both and subsequently raise the one side? I'm not certain how to figure this out a decade later, but I'm sure if they were on it originally then it must need one area or side raised by using them.

Any help is appreciated. I've already come to the conclusion putting the top back on it is not going to be the easiest task, and possibly the shims are part of the puzzle.
Thank you,
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
G
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
G
After you put your shoulders on the legs of the pump you will put the side upper skins on. Put the sides on the shoulders first. When you attach the sides to the legs you may have to shim the shoulders so the holes of the upper side panel matches the the holes in the legs. Richard

D
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
D
Thanks Richard, that helps a lot to understand their use. I appreciate it.
Darin

Darin Sheffer
D
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
D
I would guess the above query will not be my last during the eventual reassembly of the 866. As mentioned above, the pump was already partially disassembled and the computer was not in place when I got it. Obviously I know how it goes in but the only thing I don't "get" right now is this. There is a piece attached to the computer platform that goes inside the end piece of a rod that goes through the bottom of the computer and comes out each side. I also assume this pivoting piece attached to the nozzle fork assembly as well. So my question is, it doesn't move now but should the rod on the lower part of the clock move back and forth? Right now it does not but I don't want to break anything and do something stupid if it's supposed to be stationary, as it's not like I'm going to get another computer anytime soon if I broke it. The computer has not been repainted yet but I wanted to know if I had to work on freeing the rod before proceeding. It just seems like it should move back and forth to work with the nozzle fork if they were attached. I don't really have to reattach it for that matter, but was curious about the proper operation of the parts.
Hopefully this makes sense guys, I'm not up on technical terms for these parts!
Thanks again,
Darin

IMG_2795.jpg IMG_2794.jpg IMG_2796.jpg

Darin Sheffer

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved