Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#757452 Wed Nov 25 2020 10:50 AM
W
Wozzy Offline OP
OP Offline
W
So during my limited time of buying, I have come across ALOT of fakes and reproductions as I am sure many of you have seen the same. So my question is how do people get away with selling reproductions online? Isn't there a law again the reproduction of signs, globes, enamel products like Shell, Texaco, Mobil, Castrol etc?

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Wozzy #757454 Wed Nov 25 2020 11:03 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If you look at how they word the listings, they usually try to use non-definitive wording about the age. It'll say "old" or "vintage", something like that, something non-descript. Also, how many people would bother go to court saying the item was misrepresented as original? and not always easy to prove its not original.

As far as copyright infringement, depends on how hard the company defends it. For example, Harley-Davidson is aggressive and you see one-off fakes but not a lot of unauthorized reproductions. Coca-Cola does that too, they are real aggressive, too aggressive. I've heard Sinclair and a few others defend well. Keep in mind that these companies do authorize reproductions. If you are a real company using someone else's copyright, the fines can be really severe, usually based on each occurrence of unauthorized use. Lot of the older brands that are no longer in use are free to use without issue really.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
Wozzy #757455 Wed Nov 25 2020 11:14 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I used an old logo once, marked it appropriately as REPRO. I was worried about infringement so did some basic information gathering online. You may find it interesting.... up to 30K per infringement!

Captureaaaaa.JPG Captureaaaa2.JPG
Last edited by Paul Bell; Wed Nov 25 2020 11:28 AM.

Paul Bell #757456 Wed Nov 25 2020 11:47 AM
W
Wozzy Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Yeah that is really interesting. It kind of throws the cat amongst the pigeons. I mean how many hundreds of thousand remakes have been made of the big brands like Shell or BP or Moble. From even buying a plastic globe because they cannot find a glass globe to the person doing a restoration using a local made Esso vinyl sticker. One of the biggest pieces being sold are the Enamal/porcelain signs

Wozzy #757457 Wed Nov 25 2020 12:19 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wozzy, I think a lot of those enamel signs are coming in from India, so good luck trying to get them to pay infringement of copyright!

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved