Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
OP Offline
P
Hello all, I’m currently restoring a tokheim 300 pump and want to do the colors in Sinclair “Dino gasoline” add glass and globe. I’m trying to find the correct color “scheme” of green and white that would be “historically” or “era” correct (for what would have been) the average service life of this pump. From what I’ve been seeing on photos , it appears that doors are white and sides and top are green, but I’ve also seen green doors, green top, and white sides. Just wondering if anyone has any insight if the correct scheme.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member

Regards, Jim

I collect gas pump salt and pepper shakers
and the plastic coin banks made by AVSCO.
Petro Enthusiast
Online Content
Petro Enthusiast
Here is a picture of a Sinclair Wayne 70 and a Sinclair Short Bennett pump that I found out in the wild years ago . However they both look like they were repainted at some point .

ebay gas pumps 021.JPG ebay gas pumps 020.JPG
F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
From historical photos I have seen both ways, green doors with white body and green body and white doors. Two pumps I have re done I choose to go with the colored doors and white bodies.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
From what I noticed in pictures is the HC pumps were green sides and top with white doors and the Dino pumps were white sides and top with green doors.

I did a Dino pump in reverse colors because I like it that way better.

If you are going for accuracy you may want to use a Bennett pump. It was pretty rare that they used other pump manufactures.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree on the Bennett pump. It is weird seeing other pump manufacturers done up in Sinclair to me.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
I'm just about finished with a Bennett 966 in SInclair HC colors. Green sides, white top and doors, black base. I started with the PCM resto guide and after mocking up the pump I liked that combo so I went with it.

That is interesting that Sinclair used Bennett pumps exclusively or almost exclusively. Were they always company owned stations or did mom and pops also vend Sinclair gasoline? Did they ever buy out a station and keep the pumps that were already there, I wonder?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
According to the PCM guide to restoration, Dino used green doors and white body like in the picture above. Sinclair diesel had the reverse color scheme, green body, white doors. I used to worry about getting these right but the gas stations did pretty much whatever they wanted I think. Your right Tom, pretty much every sinclair pump i've seen was a Bennett, and Ive seen lots of them.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
I never really thought about it..... but I don’t think I can picture an original Sinclair that wasn’t a Bennett..... but maybe it’s my area of the world???

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved