Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14
D
DH44 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
D
Hi all-
We purchased an old Sinclair station several months ago and finally took possession. The station had, unfortunately, been neglected for many years due to lack of funds. We've been working like crazy for 2 weeks to get the buildings emptied out so we could get a handle on what is needed for the renovation. The additional building is probably going to end up requiring more rehab than the station- today the roof on the station is being replaced and when they pulled off the bad roof, 99% of the water damage was restricted to the main office area. So that's being addressed and the roof should be finished up tomorrow. The secondary building is probably going to require significant re-framing.
Part of the original tile roof trim was removed years ago, but fortunately the previous owner just left the tiles on the roof. We removed those and are going to re-do the original tile trim, and found a supply for the original 1937 tiles and have a shipment on the way. The interior of the station was full of clutter, and 90% of that is gone. The paint is coming off quite nicely with a pressure washer, so plans are to re-painting the bay to the original green/white color scheme.
The one exterior bathroom had been boarded up for more than 30 years. We removed the steel plate, and shoveled out loads of debris. After all the junk was taken out, the majority of the stall woodwork is going to need minimal repair to restore. The door is totally gone, but we'll find one to replace it.
The interior of the secondary building had been paneled over the years and pulling that out is a pain, but we're getting down to the original walls pretty quick. Once everything is out, plans are to go back with runners and sheetrock/insulate the interior. Going to leave the ceilings out and sprayfoam insulate the buildings. Then it's time to address the windows. I'd like to keep most of the old metal ones, but will probably go with double-pane insulated ones in the office area.

13.jpg 4.jpg 15.jpg 8.jpg
Last edited by DH44; Mon Aug 31 2020 12:05 PM.
1 member likes this: Skydog
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
D
DH44 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
D
More pics

10.jpg 16.jpg IMG_5642.jpg 17.jpg
Last edited by DH44; Mon Aug 31 2020 12:02 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Cool project. Have fun with it. What's the outside of the overall building look like (unless you'd rather not post)?

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
WOW now there is a project worth committing time and effort too. Keep us posted on the progress. AND YES enjoy the process.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You have made a tremendous amount of progress in a short amount of time! Congratulations!!

Speedracer, here you go! http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=130778&Number=751938#Post751938

Regards, Jim

I collect gas pump salt and pepper shakers
and the plastic coin banks made by AVSCO.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
a project that will reap many rewards .. ... cool

RANDY
T
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
T
Cant wait to see it progress, wish I had your ambition

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great project with lots of work ahead but no shortage of zeal judging by your note above. Should be a dandy restoration.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks for the link Jim, I just looked at the pics of the outside..... WOW, is that ever cool !!!!

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
D
DH44 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
D
Thanks for the kind words, everyone. Yes, we've made good progress- I don't want this project to "drag on" because I already have my eye on the next one...:)
For this one I'm forgoing using a GC- we have a good electrician, good roofer, good HVAC guy, etc.
Today was supposed to be spent getting the roof finished up but it's pouring outside. I'll never complain about rain.
Yesterday they pulled the old roof- the previous owner had stapled a tarp to the ceiling instead of fixing the roof- it was sheets of tin that leaked. But once they stripped all the old roof, it wasn't bad- the damage was confined to over the "office" area- the wood over the canopy and bays is in good shape. After fixing the rotted wood and plugging the holes, we're going back over the whole roof with 1/2" decking before the roof material goes on.

77.jpg 33.jpg
D
DH44 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
D
Inside, the bay area is cleaning up nicely. Once the roof is finished we'll be doing a lot of power washing to strip the old paint. Yesterday I took a closer look at all the bay windows- and unfortunately the bottom metal is completely corroded/rusted away. So that makes the decision to go with double pane replacements easier, and they will undoubtedly be more energy efficient in the long run.
The old vacuum cleaners were still in the bay in a recessed compartment, but they were beyond saving. Did save the old lift tank and I'm going to refinish it.

22.jpg 66.jpg
D
DH44 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
D
The other evening I decided to check and see if the canopy wiring was still good. Replaced all 4 of the bulbs (I'll bet they had been burned out for 25 years) and they all work. We're in a debate right now about how to address the tin ceiling under the canopy. There are a couple of rusted patches that I want to repair to keep out birds and wasps. A guy here in town that has old buildings says you can patch them by taking some strips of hammered tin, then inserting them in the holes and epoxy them in place then paint. I am leaning towards doing that, and painting the ceiling white, but the Missus is leaning towards just spraying the tin with a sealer and leaving it as is. I guess we'll decide that after the stucco/tile/paint work is done.

6.jpg IMG_5646.jpg IMG_5574.jpg
1 member likes this: Oldgas
Y
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Y
What a cool project!!! I am with your wife.....no paint on the ceiling.

1 member likes this: It's for sale
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted by yeley101
no paint on the ceiling.

fantastic patina .. ... cool

RANDY
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Interesting project! Is this in Dallas?