Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I know that this subject has been breached many times....but I sometimes think about the future of collecting Petroliana. All my signs and pumps remind me of my younger days. Classic signs and gas pumps are there deeply embedded in my childhood memories.

I just made a major purchase of a Tom’s Peanuts wire rack display (Photo) because of the memory of my uncle’s Esso station (Photo) back in the 1950s with one of those Tom’s Peanuts racks. Those memories have spurred my collecting. If that is the major reason for collecting, will it come to an end when a new generation without those memories are front and center?

I wondered if I was “over thinking” it all or if there were other plausible, perhaps brighter outlooks concerning this great hobby.

What do you think?

797B7945-0849-4C97-B579-984C0515FF85.jpeg 79E75F93-D663-429F-A67F-94CC25BD3927.jpeg
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
My opinion, there will always be people who like old stuff and early to mid 20th century time period. So to some degree there will always be collecting. But when I look at my nieces and second, third cousins... I just don't see them being interested. Ever. They have a different mind set all together on life. Who knows...

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted by Steven C.
I just don't see them being interested. Ever. They have a different mind set all together on life. Who knows...

as is with music & work ethics.. .. ... cool

RANDY
F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
Only reason most kids today would be interested in Grandpas petro collection is they know what it might fetch from seeing something similar on pickers. And that's obviously if they even watched that show.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
One thing to keep in mind is we (collectors) make up a tiny percentage of the general population. So when a person says the younger generation doesn't care about this stuff, in my opinion you could state the same thing about my generation, I'm 63 by the way.

I'm seeing a younger crowd at shows that in no way do they remember the days of full service gas stations and pumps with globes yet they are out there collecting this stuff.

I see a bright future for this hobby to remain relevant.

Tom.

Always buying gas pumps and parts.

Visit my web site: www.gaspumps.us
Buckles Vintage Gas Pump Parts LLC
Carthage Indiana
1 member likes this: RedHat
P
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
P
I was born in 1979...I have no memories of any of this stuff but hasn’t stopped me from obsessing about it for 27 years. I think we did a poll on here a number of years back about the average age of the collectors and it was much younger than many thought it would be.

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Good to hear your thoughts “petropumps”. I hope you are right. I guess I just don’t know how many folks like yourself are out there. If those stats are good, then it sounds as though there are more younger collectors out there than thought.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I go to a lot of shows (and I set up and sell) and I believe younger people are interested in this stuff... and buying it.

One other thing you must remember, in my opinion, young people in this hobby should be considered around 40-45 years old and older. Because you have to think, at what age and stage in life does the AVERAGE person start to have a disposable income to buy $1500 signs, $1000 gas pumps and $250 oil cans?? You will hardly see a bunch of 25 year olds doing it. They just want to make their car payment. For the AVERAGE person who collects this stuff, it tends to be a ‘later-in-life’ hobby. After you get a job/career, buy a house, a cool car, etc etc. So the demographic of NEW collectors is already past middle-age in my opinion.

Of course there are exceptions, but this is my opinion.

Last edited by Speedracer; Sun Jul 05 2020 10:57 AM.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
1 member likes this: Douglashwy
F
F
I think you are completely correct with the 40 and over idea. I am 36 and would love to collect and restore items, but just don't have the "free" money to do so. I think there are a lot of people around my age that have the same idea. The only ones that I know of that are doing it now either don't have a wife and kids or grew up with mommy and daddy money and don't have to worry about it.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I saw a BIG drop in local car show attendance and involvement in many Americana hobbies over the past 2 seasons and I really wondered what the future of the hobbies would be because of all of the long time folks dying out.
... but my thoughts are that if the US gets it under control and it doesn't take many more of our fellow Americans away from us, I honestly think there will be a Huge resurgence in Americana because SOOOOO many people have been working in their garages and on projects for months, opening up a return of the base of what collecting and restoring involves, spending time doing something you enjoy!
Only time will tell but I know oil cans, smaller signs and items that ship easily are still MOVING through the pandemic so I think the future is going to be fun in these hobbies!!

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved