Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#749265 Sat May 23 2020 07:42 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Got a taste and appreciation for gas and oil and Americana. I have opportunity to acquire about 140 old service station, gas company road maps ... Texaco, Gulf, Standard, Shell, Sinclair, Conoco, Phillips 66..... 1930 - 1970's. Any suggestions or help about what to look for or if even worth my time and money. Thanks

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
R
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
R
I've been saving maps for a long time and have accumulated thousands through many outlets- flea markets, tag and estate sales, swap meets, gas shows, auctions, friends, etc etc. They are a relatively lower cost (with exceptions) gas collectible. You can obtain examples from obscure companies that have higher priced items (cans, globes, signs) that may be out of reach price wise. Maps are neat little windows in time that can show what equipment, signage, products were in use at those stations.

Maps can be tough to display. Many map collectors preserve their maps in archival grade plastic bags or sleeves, and can frame or store in 3 ring binders. Others prefer to display in road map racks that were used in the service station. Most collectors are fussy about condition and will pass on damaged maps.

Maps can be had cheaply in bulk lots, averaging under a dollar each. A majority of maps are valued between a dollar and 30.00 each, depending on brand, state, year, collector preference, etc. There are also maps worth more, some reaching into the 100's of dollars each.

I recommend anyone interested in maps join the Road Map Collectors Club. They put out a nice newsletter and have a national convention. Contact them at www.roadmaps.org

Looking for photos, etc from 60s era Shell-A-Rama gas station and Pal's Diner, Rt. 17 Mahwah, NJ
& US or state highway signs, shields, route markers
1 member likes this: Mark8216
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Older the better.....IMO the majority of maps from the late 40's to the 70's are mostly a dime a dozen. Out of the companies you mention, all are plentiful major oil companies. Look for small independent or regional oil companies, those are the ones that have more value, even later ones. Also, what collectors call "graphic maps" with lots of attractive artwork that usually run the 3 main panels when a map is initially unfolded are collectible, generally these are earlier maps as well from the 30's or before. Good luck....
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
1 member likes this: Mark8216
DWSheffer #749399 Mon May 25 2020 07:02 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Thanks for the insight. Road maps represent an Americana era that I think is the diamond of our time .... the love affair of the car, travel, the open highway, drive-ins, doo wop, and car hop eateries.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I will second what Darin said.

If you have questions about value and how much is being asked, feel free to send me a PM. I have no interest in buying anything that you're being given an opportunity to buy. I'll give you an honest opinion on what I think is for sale.

Alan

Alan
Collecting MN and Minneapolis gas and oil related items

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved