Next Thread
Print Thread
#746913 Sun Apr 12 2020 08:29 PM
D
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
D
I know it's a free enterprise hobby....but I guess I don't understand buying something on March 31st then relisting is as soon as you get it trying to double your money. I would think the price the item brought less than 2 weeks ago is probably what the same pool of bidders will think it's worth today. Whatever floats their boat I guess, I just think it's idiotic. Interesting it took 40 (!) bids to get it to $305 the first time. I should make an offer of $305 on the resell listing, lol.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VERY-RARE-...QUART-QT-MOTOR-OIL-CAN-GAS-/184227436452

Relisted for $599.95 or offer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marathon-E...an-Ohio-Company-Lead-Metal/164159103466?

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
DWSheffer #746925 Mon Apr 13 2020 06:00 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
That's Tyler for ya. This is the same guy that sends messages to sellers on auctions (not best-offer auctions, regular, timed auctions) on eBay to get them to end the auction early for a lowball price, screwing the other bidders out of a chance to bid. Then he relists it for more $$$ or sells it on Facebook. He's all about the best deal HE can get and doesn't care about anyone else. He's been called out for it multiple times on FB and he doesn't care. I won't deal with him.

BrianH

Brian H
BrianH #746956 Mon Apr 13 2020 06:02 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted by BrianH
That's Tyler for ya. This is the same guy that sends messages to sellers on auctions (not best-offer auctions, regular, timed auctions) on eBay to get them to end the auction early for a lowball price, screwing the other bidders out of a chance to bid. Then he relists it for more $$$ or sells it on Facebook. He's all about the best deal HE can get and doesn't care about anyone else. He's been called out for it multiple times on FB and he doesn't care. I won't deal with him.

BrianH
He is doing that a lot to me with all of the cans I have on eBay right now. I keep telling him NO.

I have a Marathon like the one above on eBay. I wish he'd buy it for $290, since he thinks they're worth $600. LOL

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
DWSheffer #746961 Mon Apr 13 2020 07:16 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I can see asking a seller if they had a price in mind before any bids were placed, I don’t have a problem with that (unless someone is knowingly lowlballing an unknowledgeable seller).

What I gotta take issue with is having a bid in on an item, getting notified the next day that my bid was cancelled and the auction ended, contacting the seller and asking why the auction ended, seller lying and making up a tale that their “nephew” decided he wanted it, said can then showing up in possession of person of interest in this thread and....wait for it....for sale.

Safe to say that day made the top 5 of my angriest moments in the hobby grin

Last edited by RedHat; Mon Apr 13 2020 07:34 PM.

Looking for Michelin items + NJ oil company related items (Mohawk, Guardian, Whiz, etc) + animal-related petroliana + Gargoyle/Shell/Sinclair items
DWSheffer #746978 Tue Apr 14 2020 08:10 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Yeah Chad, that's an issue on both ends. If more sellers were like Steve, he wouldn't be able to pull this stuff. They should stick to letting the auction ride and not ending early based upon an offer. What they don't realize is that they likely would have made more $$$ just letting the auction finish. I have contacted sellers before to ask them NOT to end early and that I plan on bidding on the item as the auction nears the end date.

BrianH

Brian H
1 member likes this: RedHat
DWSheffer #746984 Tue Apr 14 2020 10:54 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hi Guys: eBay now allows for people to make an offer to people even if there are bids on the item. I was surprised to see that,

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
DWSheffer #746985 Tue Apr 14 2020 11:17 AM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
That really surprises me!

DWSheffer #746986 Tue Apr 14 2020 11:34 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This image is from a non-buy it now and was not a "Make a Best Offer" type of auction. I clicked on the "Contact Sender"...opened up the make an offer and this is what it says....I was hesitant to try it...but..has worked a couple of times and got a few polite declines as they wanted to let the auction run out....I thanked them and then went about making a bid....

Ebay Offer.PNG

Alex
BrianH #746997 Tue Apr 14 2020 01:33 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted by BrianH
Yeah Chad, that's an issue on both ends. If more sellers were like Steve, he wouldn't be able to pull this stuff. They should stick to letting the auction ride and not ending early based upon an offer. What they don't realize is that they likely would have made more $$$ just letting the auction finish. I have contacted sellers before to ask them NOT to end early and that I plan on bidding on the item as the auction nears the end date.

BrianH

That’s true, never even thought about those bidding like that. And not a bad idea, I feel like I need to start doing that on items I have a real interest in if it’ll prevent them being pulled. The amount of items that just disappear, bids cancelled, all that, makes me think this is a really common thing.

Looking for Michelin items + NJ oil company related items (Mohawk, Guardian, Whiz, etc) + animal-related petroliana + Gargoyle/Shell/Sinclair items
DWSheffer #746999 Tue Apr 14 2020 02:42 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Alex, this is how eBay handles offers on auction-style listings. This is straight from their help page. I included a link to the page below.

If you have an auction-style listing with the best offer option, bear in mind that:

If you receive a bid
Current offers and counteroffers will be declined automatically, and buyers won’t be able to make any additional offers on your item
If you had received an offer that was higher than the current bid, the buyer who made the offer will need to place a bid, as their offer was declined when the first bid was placed
If a bidder retracts their bid, the best offer feature will be re-enabled

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/l...xt=DEFAULT_BUYER&lucenceai=lucenceai

Basically, if the item has no bids and you make an offer, the offer is valid until either the seller declines or a bid is placed. If you attempt to make an offer on an item that already has a bid, the offer is automatically declined. You would have to place a bid at that point. If any and all bidders retract their bids, any offers made on the item become valid again until a new bid is placed. Of course, in this case, the buyer and seller are circumventing this whole process by ending the auction early and making the deal offline, which cheats all the watchers out of the item and cheats eBay out of their final value fee. Evidently, they are making so much money that they don't care.

BrianH

Brian H
DWSheffer #747018 Tue Apr 14 2020 08:04 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hi Brian: I think you may have misread my posting. The item I was referring to did [/b]not[b]have a make best offer [/b]nor[b]was it a Buy It Now Auction. It was a straight auction and it did have a bid on it. I should mention it [/b]did not[b]have a reserve. This snip I posted above came from that items page. When you click on "Contact Seller" it has a list of items to click on and get an answer...one of them is a make an offer button. You do not enter a value like you are making a bid or buy it now option...it is a message that goes to the seller. The eBay message says go ahead and see if they will accept an offer (or words to that effect). My message did go through to the seller has he/she responded and politely declined. I then responded to him thanking him. We my e talking about different items.

Alex

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved