Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#745729 Wed Mar 25 2020 02:12 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Hi All: I just joined Petroliana as I have acquired a 906-7g from a farm near mine. I want to restore the thing and be able to use it to pump diesel into my vehicles from my above ground fuel tank. I do not intend to restore it cosmetically but that may change. I just want it to work. I have taken the covers off and have tried to manually rotate the pump that is belted to the motor. It will not turn. the bellcrank switch on the side also does not rotate. It seems like everything is locked up? varnished or rusted? Where do I begin?

Tx

download (4).png download (3).png download (4).png download (5).png
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Y
Petro Enthusiast
Online Content
Petro Enthusiast
Y
Gas pump rob has some great videos you tube on getting these old pumps going , great videos

Last edited by Yellow57; Wed Mar 25 2020 03:50 PM.
Look though Gas Pump Rob's posts in the Showcase section to find his videos. They should be helpful.

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=userposts&id=600

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
S
OP Offline
S
So I have perused the videos but did not find much that helps me specifically on what the best way is to disassemble and repair: Like is there a chance I can get this thing to work without major disassembly? Why is the pump so totally locked up? Is it just gummed up with old gas? I will try to fill it with solvent. Should I just take everything apart and start rebuilding each sub assembly? Are there any specific tricks that I should know for repairing each sub assembly. Will I be able to get parts? What about the hose reel? can that be restored? Is there a new hose available? Any help would be appreciated

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Hey Robert,
There is a book PCM's Guide to Gas Pump Restoration by Wayne Henderson & Scott Benjamin. I used it to help me with my first restoration that was very helpful.
Steve

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
There is a video where Rob works with one and breaks it loose and gets it running follow him on you tube and you can find it. Vics 66 has parts as does gas pump heaven. Several more that doesn't come to mind. . Breaking it loose may take awhile I'm not a big pump collector so I will say Good Luck.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yeah you must not have found the correct video from Rob. There are two that I know of where he tells you how to break free a stuck pump and get it going.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks for the response... Still can't find gaspump rob video that applies but... started cleaning and taking apart today. ( see attached) As I get into it I found one main problem is mouse house in guts of computer. After taking faces off and enclosures for the gears and a little Kroil, I got the reset lever to work and the dials all zeroed out. the pump motor spins free but pump is still locked up. I removed the tube from the outlet and filled with carb cleaner. I've ordered parts book and manual from Vic's.

IMG_5476.JPEG IMG_5474.JPEG
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Look under Gas Pump Rob's posts on this site and find the video he posted. He shows exactly how to loosen the pump up and get it running again. There are really no mechanical parts available to fix these pumps. You would need to find someone who gutted one out and get parts from them if needed. I'm guessing yours will work once freed up.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
S
OP Offline
S
Roger that: what about the electric motor... It has 2 black wires going into the bottom of the motor casing and a piece of romex going into the middle. Does anyone know the correct connections? Is the motor 120V?

IMG_5482.JPEG
S
OP Offline
S
ps: I pulled the pump and have it apart. It is a centrifugal vane pump similar to my Gardner Denver air compressor (1960). The shaft was seized in the inboard bushing and the vanes were stuck but otherwise everything is in pretty good shape. At most I will have to make a thin paper gasket between the pump and housing. The filter side will clean up nicely I think

S
OP Offline
S
So it looks like line voltage comes in thru the romex with one side going directly to winding and the other side going to switch. The other side of windings is not energized unless there is continuity between the 2 black wires coming out of the bottom of the motor which makes me think the light bulb acts as current limit and these pumps will not function without a light bulb. Is that correct?

C097D39F-8118-47E3-94E5-BF6B882B6278.jpeg
S
OP Offline
S
Update: The white wire on the romex goes thru the winding and the black wire goes to the switch. One of the 2 black wires goes from the switch with 120v to the light bulb, the other comes back into connect the other side of the motor winding. I now have the motor spinning but doesn't seem to have high startup torque... don't know if the start windings are working. I might try switching to 240v

S
OP Offline
S
I’ve got pump producing head, but motor was not starting without nudging it along. ie the startup winding must not be energizing. After a little more exploration I found the start capacitor hidden in the front motor housing. Have a new one waiting for me at Graingers. I can’t believe the factory used a piece of romex to energize the motor but I don’t see how I can make everything work ( light and motor) without at least 3 conductors coming out of motor. The holes coming out of the lower motor housing that feed into conduit only allow 2 conductors. Does anyone have an old motor they want to come off?

Last edited by snakeknuckles; Wed Apr 01 2020 09:00 AM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
People gut these all the time. If your patient, someone will reply with a motor.

Contact Tom Buckles on here. I’m sure he probably has one.

-Steve

Last edited by Speedracer; Wed Apr 01 2020 03:32 PM.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved