Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#742572 Tue Jan 21 2020 09:14 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Had a new problem with PayPal today that I thought I’d share so you guys don’t do the same. I called in to talk to a live person to discuss an apparently fraudulent purchase we made. I ended up just getting there phone routing system. Robot PayPal asks me about my last nine transactions rather vaguely, going through them, there were two I said “don’t know, need operator”. Based on my “don’t know” answer, PayPal opens case that I didn’t want. Then find out PayPal closed for the day, no one there live to talk to. Hour later PayPal reverses one of my eBay sales, giving money back to person that received item without issue, not fixing the fraudulent transaction at all. Call PayPal today to get fixed but apparently I’m at the good will of the buyer, they can’t reverse the refund. So anyway, my take away is if you here “please review these transactions” over the phone, bettter hang up quick. Sorry for long story but this was a new one for me and I’m generally pretty savvy with this stuff.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
Paul Bell #742573 Tue Jan 21 2020 09:27 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Even more reason to hate them as much as I do!

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
Paul Bell #742577 Wed Jan 22 2020 11:22 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Have an update, spoke to Paypal twice now, last time to a supervisor. Somewhat shockingly, they agreed with me that it was there problem, not mine, and refunded me the lost money for the inappropriate refund. They told me to avoid the computerized phone system for reporting fraud, lots of issues. Apparently this happens often, either background sound or whatever screwing up the automated system. System doesnt confirm responses, so any one time screwed up response can lead to error. He recommended using the website resolution center instead.

I have to say all the paypal people I talked to were pleasant enough and seemed somewhat helpful (but not empowered to refund of course until you talk to supervisor). So anyway, take away is avoid the phone automated fraud reporting system.

Guess the guy gets his item free, I guess he might still try to pay or maybe refund paypal, dont know.

Paul Bell #742579 Wed Jan 22 2020 06:11 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks for the info Paul. Paypal does some of the most random things with our money. The service is like everything else nowadays connected to online technology. We get addicted to the ease of use and then when they throw us a curve we just seem to tolerate what would ordinarily be unacceptable business practices and still keep sending them our money and using their services. I'm as guilty as anyone but sometimes I wonder why I continue to participate in the games these companies play.....GB

Rabbitman #742585 Wed Jan 22 2020 11:00 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Originally Posted by Rabbitman
Thanks for the info Paul. Paypal does some of the most random things with our money. The service is like everything else nowadays connected to online technology. We get addicted to the ease of use and then when they throw us a curve we just seem to tolerate what would ordinarily be unacceptable business practices and still keep sending them our money and using their services. I'm as guilty as anyone but sometimes I wonder why I continue to participate in the games these companies play.....GB

Yeah, you nailed it, will said. Also, there aren't really any viable alternatives unfortunately that are convenient, waiting for a check to clear takes too long, money orders are faked too often, ApplePay - no idea who uses that. Paypal hasnt been too bad for me so far, Ebay on the other hand I've grown to hate with a complete passion, but still use it because it has a client base that is too large to ignore. Ever since ebay charged me full commission for a non-sale, another intolerable thing that wouldnt happen anywhere else, I've completely hated them.

Paul Bell #742597 Thu Jan 23 2020 11:51 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I use Google Square but sometimes buyers only will pay with Pay pal. Square ships a CC reader to you for free and you can generate invoices for purchases that aren't in person.
I had to open a PP account up to open up a dispute but I refuse to link a account to it (except for a pre-paid CC that I have strictly for online purchases) and will only use it for buying if I even keep it at all. PP treats buyers like gold but sellers like scum...

Last edited by Man-Cave-Shoppe Dave; Thu Jan 23 2020 11:52 AM.

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Originally Posted by Man-Cave-Shoppe Dave
I use Google Square but sometimes buyers only will pay with Pay pal. Square ships a CC reader to you for free and you can generate invoices for purchases that aren't in person.
I had to open a PP account up to open up a dispute but I refuse to link a account to it (except for a pre-paid CC that I have strictly for online purchases) and will only use it for buying if I even keep it at all. PP treats buyers like gold but sellers like scum...

Thanks! Ill have to check out square, I've seen it but dont know much about it. My father and I were just speaking about setting up a dedicated bank account for paypal, stop them from pulling money straight out as they please. Think that is a good idea.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Tireflator Air Meter auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved