Next Thread
Print Thread
Mike M. Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Mike, I see Glenn Miller has just posted about 150 new items to the Friday, December 6 auction. Many nifty signs in the bunch. Should be a really good auction. My really nice 42" BUICK Authorized Service (red, white, blue) sign is in the auction. Also, my unusual late-1930's WISCONSIN AAA Official Service Station porcelain sign. It's a two-piece "dangler", with the original hanging bracket. I've never consigned anything to an auction before, and am excited to see what happens! John

Last edited by Jolly-John; Thu Nov 21 2019 12:47 PM.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Man, this Glenn Miller just doesn't stop. I just noticed he has added more items (lots of signs) to this Friday, December 6 auction. He's now up to 417 lots. Should be another good one from Glenn. John

Mike M. Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
As always if any Old-Gas member needs more photos or "my expertise" LOL please send me a text to take a look at something in the auction.

Thanks
Mike

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
See you at the auction, Mike. John

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wisconsin AAA sign went for $1600.00-could be a record!

Frank Jordan
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
That's why I hardly go anymore he gets huge money for his stuff.

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Here's the Wisconsin AAA dangler sign Frank is referring to. Two-sided porcelain, with original hanging bracket. It was my sign that Glenn Miller just sold. I'm happy, of course....but, my wife (holding the sign in the photo) still isn't smiling! Many of you older, married guys will understand this situation.

To Glenn's credit, he does good photographs of the auction items for internet promotion and online bidding through AuctionZip, places large picture ads for his auctions in most of the hobby publications, charges "just" 15% buyer's fee for online bidders and NO buyer's premium for in-person bidders, holds the seller's commission to just 15%, and is known for very good packaging and reasonable shipping charges for online auction winners.

I believe there were fewer than 90 in-person bidders at today's auction, much smaller than usual for Glenn's events. The balance of the action came from online bidders. From what I could tell by the bidding numbers, online bidders were the winners of a fair number of the auctions at today's Miller event in Tomah, Wisconsin.

Tankar is certainly right about Glenn tending to get very good money for many of the items consigned to his auctions. But, I'm not concerned about that. This reality didn't prevent me from attending, and still trying to get a "bargain". I personally didn't wind up buying anything today, although I bid on perhaps ten items. A number of well-known dealers were also bidding in-person at today's auction, and THEY were winning the bid on a fair number of auctions. So, while the hammer-down prices may have seemed high to some of us, these dealers were paying up, with the expectation of re-selling the signs at a profit. I'd note that these dealers weren't the "newly-minted" ones we're currently seeing around at many auctions and shows, but rather guys who have been buying and selling for the past ten to fifteen years, or more So.....they should know their business. In other words, in most cases, these pros are unlikely to overpay for an item. John

aaa.jpg
Last edited by Jolly-John; Fri Dec 06 2019 08:01 PM.
Mike M. Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Originally Posted by Tankar
That's why I hardly go anymore he gets huge money for his stuff.

John this was his consignment auction and though some items brought great monies there were plenty of good deals!

It was the smallest crowd I’ve ever seen at one of his auctions

Thanks
Mike

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
A quick note: The "John" Mike is referring to is John H. (Tankar), who also commented above.....not me! I'm the guy with no issues (at least at this moment)! Jolly-John

Last edited by Jolly-John; Fri Dec 06 2019 07:35 PM.
I was told by someone who consigns that he allows reserves. I had to make a trip to the Mayo and thought of going over to the auction but if you're bidding against a consignor why bother.

Last edited by oiljobber; Fri Dec 06 2019 09:30 PM.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
You missed a pretty good auction, oiljobber, perhaps as the result of what might have been bad information. I'm sure Mike M. can reply to your comment of possible "reserves", since he knows Glenn Miller well, and has attended most all of his auctions. I don't think Glenn offers the seller an option of reserve or no reserve, based on my consignment experience with him. Plus, I've never heard "reserve not met" during the auction day bidding process. In my opinion, Glenn runs a first-class auction operation, compared to a number of other auction companies. I can't believe he would have secret reserves for the podium auctioneer to use on certain lots during the live auction. My thoughts only. John

Mike M. Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Originally Posted by oiljobber
I was told by someone who consigns that he allows reserves. I had to make a trip to the Mayo and thought of going over to the auction but if you're bidding against a consignor why bother.

OMG.... Glenn Miller has no reserves on his auctions. I'm sure some consignors may bid on their own items if they feel they are going to sell cheap or even buy their own items back if they want. That happens all over but I guarantee Glenn is not involved in any of that. He runs the most honest auction company I've been around and as a collector who has gotten to know his whole crew, there is no B***S*** going on. I consigned 17 items in last weeks 3 auctions and overall My items sold great and I never bid on any of them. I also Know John's items did good. My problem is I always seem to buy more than I make! LOL

And James I will add a little story from a few years back at on of Glenn's February auctions (when he sells all the really sweet stuff he buys throughout the year). Another Old-Gas member had sold him a really sweet Chevy service 42" sign (unknown to me) and Glenn saw me looking at it the night before the auction. After some small talk he knew I had been looking for a really nice one for a while so I asked what he had in the sign and he told me. I offered him hundreds more to sell it right there and as I would expect him to do, he declined. When the item came up at the auction, I was right in there bidding it up to buy it and it stalled out below his number with me buying it. Sure the auctioneer and Glenn added their "where you going to find another this clean stuff but when all was said and done Glenn lost a few Hundred bucks with no BS bids. A few days after the Auction I heard out of the blue from the Old-Gas member confirming that it had been his sign and Glenn had paid what he said he had. Just another reason that we both had to trust Glenn to his word!

Another Old-Gas member bought a Large Standard Oil DSP that Glenn sold as an NOS piece. The Buyer had compared it to a few other matching signs and not one was the same as the other so he always questioned it as being real. He never found it to be a reproduction that I know of but he just wasn't comfortable with it. He saw Glenn at Iowa Gas 6 months later and without hesitation, Glenn bought the sign back as he wanted him to trust what you buy from him is the real deal!

James I will tell you that if you come to one of his auctions, You have to have patience to find a good deal as he draws good crowds, phone and internet bidding but he always has some sweet stuff.

Hopefully your trip to the Mayo went well as I myself have to spend a few days there every year!

Thanks
Mike

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I have bought several items in Glenn's auctions the past several years. I pretty much make it an annual pilgrimage to attend his February auction in Tomah. Not an easy drive for me (about 10 hours in good weather) to be sure but it's a fun weekend. IMO, Glenn gets good money for stuff because most of it is top-notch and fairly rare. The good stuff brings the $$$.

BrianH

Brian H

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved