Good morning:

Without knowing about other alternatives; I've found this to be a very practical and a safe way to handle and temporarily store a single 13½" lens.

Back in the 90's, several individual lenses arrived in large shipping boxes. The lenses needed a temporary home; they needed to be in a cabinet, not a cardboard box.

A good friend of ours owned three local Domino's pizza stores and said his 14½" large sized pizza box would be perfect for the 13½" lens. He brought some over and he was right; the lens fit perfectly! So over the years various different lenses were kept in pizza boxes, in a cabinet, without a problem.

Now that I'm cleaning out the house, I'm taking the lenses off/out of the bodies, cleaning and drying them and putting them in the pizza box. (No sliding and no scraping on any surface.) Even though pizza box sides are pretty sturdy I ALWAYS grab the box by the front.

When I shipped 3 lenses to three different locations last month, I wrapped each lens in tissue paper (not too much), placed it in the pizza box and taped it shut. Then I wrapped the pizza box in "bubble wrap" and placed that in an 18x18" double walled adjustable (I cut down to size) Uline box and filled with peanuts. All three arrived at their destination safe and sound. The lens I sold last week was a local hand-off to the buyer and the pizza box was perfect.

So if you have a 13½" lens without a body, consider the medium pizza box as a safe temporary home. Doesn't have to be Domino's box but the 14½" size works best; tall enough, not too big & not too small!

I don't know what others are doing; just thought I'd share what's worked so far.

IMG_8719Pizza Box.JPG IMG_8721 Pizza Box.JPG IMG_8720Pizza Box.JPG IMG_8722Pizza Box.JPG
Last edited by LotsofStuff; Tue Nov 19 2019 03:16 PM. Reason: correct medium to large