Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#738472 Thu Nov 07 2019 10:29 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
got a email asking what year this flying A black wing is ?
not familiar with this as I've never seen this before
was told this was bought by Mike & Frank on latest Pickers show.
your 2¢ .. ... cool

1flyablkwing.jpg
Last edited by advertologist; Thu Nov 07 2019 10:40 AM.

RANDY
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I don't like the 2nd E in service...

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Does not look right at all. No detail in the wings. Almost looks as if the wing were painted over black. Porcelain chips are since the black was done though.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Whether it's real or not, it looks like JUNK to me, compared with the regular ones with white wings. I wouldn't touch it...

BrianH

Brian H
BrianH #738622 Sat Nov 09 2019 11:47 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted by BrianH
Whether it's real or not, it looks like JUNK to me, compared with the regular ones with white wings. I wouldn't touch it...

BrianH

They are rare. I have seen one in person but agree with above post. If I had one I would sell or trade it. White wings with black accents look way better.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Great conversation and interesting observations about the sign!

However...my looming question concerns Mike’s buying it on American Pickers. With so many shadows hanging over its authenticity it really surprised me that it was purchased as absolutely authentic without any questions being raised by him! Pretty expensive roll of the dice on his part!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I would like to add one thing, that I forgot to mention.... It's not like they forgot to ad the white to the wings before the sign was finished at the factory because (as with most signs) the white was laid down first, which is evident in the chips in the first pic above. Therefore the white in the wings would've been finished already.

I don't ever recall seeing a sign where the same color was laid down twice. And for the most part, I believe colors were usually laid down lightest first to darkest last.

-Steve

Last edited by Speedracer; Sat Nov 09 2019 06:19 PM.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
R
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
R
photo c. 2003

Flying A.jpg

Looking for photos, etc from 60s era Shell-A-Rama gas station and Pal's Diner, Rt. 17 Mahwah, NJ
& US or state highway signs, shields, route markers
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wouldn't be the first time Mike & Frank got taken!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Nice shot from the Peotone swap meet.....I'm the guy in blue, with his back to the camera. Wow, was that 2003? Could be, I guess, since I had a lot more hair in the photo than now. John

R
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
R
Hi John, no that was taken at the Metro Petro show in Jersey. It was the year the show was in the big gym at the former location and a lot of the local roads were flooded.

Looking for photos, etc from 60s era Shell-A-Rama gas station and Pal's Diner, Rt. 17 Mahwah, NJ
I know of one that's been hanging in a Florida collection probably since the early 1990's. I think it's a 5' to 6' sign for I've been trying to buy it forever. To me it looks real and India production wasn't around back then...plus no one made a die-cut reproduction that size back then either. Got to be real.

R
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
R
The seller of the one in c. 2003 MP photo is a member here, he does not sell reproductions.

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Thanks for the gentle correction about your photo being from the Metro Petro gas/oil show in New Jersey (not Peotone. IL), my friend. How embarrassing. The guy in the far right looks quite like me, at least from behind. And, what really threw me was the plastic shelving sections being used on the far right vendor's swap table. That is exactly how I set up my vending space. Based on your location comment, I put on my reading glasses and got a magnifying glass out. Of course, you are right. I still admire that guy's fairly decent crop of hair, and rugged good looks...at least from behind! Thanks for the fun, MetroPetro. John

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There were a couple people making porcelain signs in the 80s and 90s and to me, these feel like a "piquadio special" but I could be wrong.? I have come across some weird ones around here because of that person and a couple others, like another I heard of up in BC. This is one of the more obvious ones (and not porcelain) but there are others, that I've seen and touched, that are not as easy to pick out, and Many fake lenses from those folks too.
The best way I know to confirm originality of a sign is to find a old pic of one in use and I've seen a lot of Flying A station original pics and not one with a black wing, but, again, I could be wrong. Getting your hands on a original dealer advertising catalog is another sure way to know.

20181217_155456a.jpg
Last edited by Man-Cave-Shoppe Dave; Mon Nov 11 2019 06:26 PM.

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved