Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
O
OP Offline
O
Hello Everyone!

I am new to the forum and found it while researching an old sign I came across. I have exhausted the normal channels, for example, eBay, WorthPoint and extensive search queries on Google and Bing.

Along the top the sign reads: Garage & Property Owners Association of California.

Along the bottom the sign reads: Quality Service and Square Dealings

It is double-sided.

It appears that someone lettered over the original letting at one point with "Allied Automotive Industries"

Here is what I have been able to ascertain:

The Garage & Property Owners Association was formed circa 1919 in Greater New York by a group of men who wanted to protect and promote the mutual interests of its members, as well as facilitate the permit process.

I do believe this sign came from a garage in San Francisco. Why? My belated friend's father grew up in S.F. in the 1920-30's and he had the sign for many years.

This could be a bit of a gem, as I can not find another surviving example anywhere online, at least, not yet.

Any additional information anyone might be able to provide, as to history or potential value, would be greatly appreciated!

Garage-and-Property-Owners-1.jpg Garage-and-Property-Owners-3.jpg
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Cool piece

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
O
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted by KZ1000
Cool piece

Thanks!
I thought so as well.
Sure was hoping someone would have seen one or have more info, but so far, it's not looking very promising.

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
That is a neat sign; however, most everything to do with value depends on "condition". Due to the condition being so poor, IMO it would be more valuable for historical purposes. $200-400 IMO.

O
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted by coltex
That is a neat sign; however, most everything to do with value depends on "condition". Due to the condition being so poor, IMO it would be more valuable for historical purposes. $200-400 IMO.

Thanks for weighing-in.
Do you think something like this is a candidate for restoration or should be left as-is?

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
IMO in that condition leave well enough alone.....to me "restoring" one side of that sign would render it all but worthless to most true collectors.
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
O
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted by DWSheffer
IMO in that condition leave well enough alone.....to me "restoring" one side of that sign would render it all but worthless to most true collectors.
Darin

That's what I was thinking as well. And, since I can't find a single example anywhere else, I would have no clue what original colors and/or paints were used. It has a very rough but unique patina all its own.

I'm with leaving it as it is, not restoring (repainting). But if it were mine, I'd try to see if I could peel off the more recent over-lettering.

If you'd like to try it, test the following method on the worse side of the sign in case it peels off the original paint.

I'd put a few drops of dish soap in a quart of water and spray or drizzle it on the sign as a lubricant.
Use a single edge razor blade laid nearly flat to the surface, with the back edge up maybe 2 degrees.
I dull (round off) the tip of the outer corners of the blade cutting edge with 220 or finer sandpaper to decrease the chance of edge gouging.
Try to gently move the blade parallel to the surface and under the non-original letters.
Without much force, see if the blade can get between the wanted and unwanted paint to pick off the newer stuff without digging into the original paint.
It takes some finesse and some luck. If it gouges and makes it look worse, stop.

If it works well on the worse condition side, go ahead and carefully try the same on the better side, a little bit at a time.
If you can remove some or most all the non-original lettering, I think it would look better and be more historically accurate.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
O
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted by Oldgas
I'm with leaving it as it is, not restoring (repainting). But if it were mine, I'd try to see if I could peel off the more recent over-lettering.

If you'd like to try it, test the following method on the worse side of the sign in case it peels off the original paint.

I'd put a few drops of dish soap in a quart of water and spray or drizzle it on the sign as a lubricant.
Use a single edge razor blade laid nearly flat to the surface, with the back edge up maybe 2 degrees.
I dull (round off) the tip of the outer corners of the blade cutting edge with 220 or finer sandpaper to decrease the chance of edge gouging.
Try to gently move the blade parallel to the surface and under the non-original letters.
Without much force, see if the blade can get between the wanted and unwanted paint to pick off the newer stuff without digging into the original paint.
It takes some finesse and some luck. If it gouges and makes it look worse, stop.

If it works well on the worse condition side, go ahead and carefully try the same on the better side, a little bit at a time.
If you can remove some or most all the non-original lettering, I think it would look better and be more historically accurate.

Thank you very much for the helpful tips!
I was wondering how to tackle trying to "lift" the add-on lettering. It almost appears as if etched into the original paint layer, so I may be out of luck, but will definitely give it a go.

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved