Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#733626 Sun Aug 04 2019 06:33 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Among the many Shell items I inherited from my father-in-law are many cardboard or metal cans of oil and other products. In particular, I have a lot with the 1971-1970 logo. I've got lots of Rotella T in several different can styles, although at the moment I only have a poor picture of one style. I have empty cans of a few products too. I'll attach some photos. None of these cans has been cleaned up or even brushed off - there are just too many. I'd appreciate any comments.

Rotella_T.png (417.37 KB, 288 downloads)
Super_Shell_and_other_Rotella_T.png
Rotella_T_newer.png (452.02 KB, 290 downloads)
X-100.png (484.95 KB, 292 downloads)
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
S
OP Offline
S
It appears that I didn't attach two of the images. Here they are.

Rotella_T.png (417.37 KB, 302 downloads)
Rotella_T_newer.png (452.02 KB, 294 downloads)
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member

None of the cardboard cans will be worth more than $5-$10 unless u have something really rare & in excellent condition. I didn’t look at all of your pics but the ones I did look at I didn’t see anything rare.

S
OP Offline
S
Thanks for that information. I do have some Golden Shell in two styles and some Super Shell. And I have quite a few cans of Dexron II Donax T-6 with the 1961-71 logo on them. Does anyone have thoughts about the value of any of these?

Golden_Shell_newer.png (439.41 KB, 266 downloads)
Super_Shell_qt.png
Golden_Shell_old.png (417.34 KB, 274 downloads)
Dexron_II_-_Donax_T-6.png (417.95 KB, 291 downloads)
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Fred, as guys have been posting, there's no great collector's value in the Shell cans you've shown here. You can keep posting cans like these if you want to, but if they are the same vintage you've been showing us, the answers you receive aren't going to be any different.

If you want to, keep one of each inherited can for the "memories". But, remember, these composite cans will leak over time....if they haven't begun to already.

Then, post a group of the cans for sale on Old Gas for five bucks each, plus shipping.....because there might be some guys here who would like to fill a Shell oil rack up with matching cans.

AND THEN, post what doesn't sell here (will be quite a bit, most likely) on your local craigslist in the "Auto Parts" section. Collector car guys could buy some of this oil for three bucks a quart, if you stress it's the earlier API designation (SF, SG, SH?) that still has lots of zinc and phosphorus in it (for older flat tappet engines). The transmission fluid can also be sold in this way. I've been in this same situation of liquidating slightly older, but still quite "modern" oil quarts before, and this is the only thing I've found that works.

As Old Gas guys posted on your other inquiry about the value of the Shell sign you inherited.....we understand you're hoping to find decent value in the items you've inherited. Who wouldn't be? But, there's no home run among any of the things you've inquired about so far. If you find something much older among the goodies you're inherited, the story could be different.

Best of luck with your disposal sale! John

Last edited by Jolly-John; Tue Aug 06 2019 09:31 PM.
S
OP Offline
S
Thank you so much for your friendly and sincere comments. I'm obviously way out of my depth here and am just trying to feel my way along. Your kindness is much appreciated!

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved