Oldgas.com Home  

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#731851 Mon Jul 01 2019 03:55 PM
OP Offline
I will pick up my Tokheim 39 short soon. Since it is in original shape, and no glass or globe I plan to lay it down on blankets in the back of my pickup. Any reason I shouldn't do it this way. Should an old gas pump only be transported standing up?

Love motorcycles, got eleven right now, dealing on others. Looking for a 1948 to 1954 Jawa 350 Twin.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted by AndyVH1959
I plan to lay it down on blankets in the back of my pickup. Any reason I shouldn't do it this way.

should be fine .. ... cool

RANDY
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
sometimes gas will work it's way out of the pump or piping so and spill out so just be careful what's in your truck box.

Be careful when you lay it against the tailgate and "see-saw" it up into the bed. That can put a nice dent or crease in the sheet metal at the pivot point.

Also, watch out for hardware, hangers, reset handle etc. or they will get damaged when it lays down.

Wanted: Parts for G&B 177, Wayne 100, Erie 129
Also looking for any info on Southern States pumps
OP Offline
Thanks. That all what I assumed already, especially to avoid "levering" the pump onto the tailgate of the truck. I'll probably have at least one person to help me load the pump into the truck.

Love motorcycles, got eleven right now, dealing on others. Looking for a 1948 to 1954 Jawa 350 Twin.
G
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
G
Get a piece of plywood a little bit bigger than the pump. Put it at an angle against your tailgate. Lean the pump against the plywood with your blankets between the pump and the plywood. Lift the pump in using the plywood. should slit easy. Richard

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Just as gatorgaspumps says above, but throw a broom stick or a short piece of 1.5in diameter pvc pipe on the bed floor, when u lean the pump over & plywood hits broom stick it will roll right in. Make sure to remove the broom stick before driving off, or pump will roll around.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If you plan on buying more pumps you need to build something like this http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=653629&page=1 I built two, one out of wood and one out of steel. The steel one is less bulky and lighter. Both of mine are a little different but same design. My wood one has wheels at the front and back inside the rails. The steel one has six wheels. The six wheels help get it past the slot between the floor and tailgate.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I set an old tire on cardboard over the tail gate end and rotate everything up at once. The cardboard allows the whole thing to slide while the tire spreads out the load of the pump. I've used this method at least a hundered times and never damaged a pump.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I use a tire too. It has a slice cut out of it to let the water drain when I don’t use it. It got a lot more use 10 to 15 years ago.

OP Offline
I ending up using my Ford Escape company vehicle, with the rear seats tipped down. A couple of blankets on the floor and over the rear bumper. The seller helped me lift it and lay it into the back. Once home I used a piece of plywood under the pump until it tipped slowly down to the driveway, then I just "walked" it over to the side by the garage. Home with no damage. Seller gave me the new rubber for the glass, so now I need to order the two glass panels. When I picked it up the seller said he just sold all three of the other pumps he already had restored; a Tokheim short, Tokheim tall and a Wayne, so he had a good day of over $9000 in pump sales.

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
This is how Miles Little packed up some pumps back in 2004 In Wisconsin.

http://petrolianacollectibles.com/picture%20gallery/GiletteAuction%20069.jpg

If you like to look at pictures of past swap meets and auctions, this is on my website: http://petrolianacollectibles.com/picture%20album.htm

Click on any picture for a larger view.

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Thu Jul 11 2019 11:49 AM. Reason: Additional info

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved