Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
RedHat #729868 Wed May 22 2019 03:58 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Craigslist charging $5.00 per auto ad is probably the best thing they could do, itll for sure get rid of of most of the scam postings.
If only some of you complaining about fees were around when you couldnt list an item anywhere without an upfront cost for the ad space, and it only reached your local area.
I still think the fees are the best bargain for the worldwide audience and over the top retail prices realized.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
KZ1000 #729872 Wed May 22 2019 07:00 PM
RedHat Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I appreciate everyone weighing in, always good to hear what you guys think đź‘Ť

Originally Posted by KZ1000
I still think the fees are the best bargain for the worldwide audience and over the top retail prices realized.

Always good to hear the other side of the argument, thank you for weighing in. While I was speaking more on the buying side of things (the sales tax), I’ll gladly address the fees, as well. While I agree with you that eBay once offered our items the best exposure to a national audience, there was no platform that could compare, I believe that with the rise in popularity of Instagram pages and Facebook groups and other such outlets with over 25,000 members with common interests that eBay is no longer such a bargain. I find this doubly so when every year new fees/taxes/whatever are enacted, taking more and more money out of both the buyer’s and seller’s pockets as this exposure becomes less and less impressive.

In addition to this, these other platforms allow for relationships to build with collectors, not only from around the States, but around the world. I find this as important, if not more important, than dwindling exposure. As eBay charges more and and more every year, they also restrict more and more of our communication. Meanwhile, the amount of American and foreign collectors I’ve met, become acquainted with, traded with and bought from or sold to and actually formed a relationship with because of Instagram and FB is mind-blowing. eBay, on the other hand, shuns all forms of communications between buyers and sellers that would result in an actual relationship forming and forces one or the other to go through hilarious loops just to exchange emails or phone numbers. If that isn’t sad enough, a member here has recently reported that eBay will end up charging the selling fee if they suspect you sold an item listed on eBay outside of it, even if you did no such thing. In my opinion, a passiveness that shuns discussion is what has allowed eBay to do as they please and why we see more and more of this kinda thing enacted every year. I think it is important to, at the very least, talk about these things and not just accept the fate eBay chooses for us.

Now, as far as prices realized on eBay being over the top, a platform that encourages shill bidding would naturally become subject to outrageous hammer prices. These fees/taxes and other add-ons we speak of cause sellers to find workarounds. This means list prices go even higher, shill bidding becomes more common, shipping costs increase (I’ve never agreed with sellers getting charged 12.5% plus $0.50 on shipping charges they pay through eBay, not only does that seem unfair as you can’t cheat the postage, that additional cost is, again, being put on the buyer) and the whole experience becomes unrealistically inflated. Nekbe, the infamous eBay shill-bidding seller, has bid his own items up for years with no penalty realizing some laughable prices for common items. Don’t get me wrong, there’s always a bidder out there that wants an item unreasonably bad and will drive up prices to get what they want, but that is in no way something unique to eBay. Free, fee-less offer and auction pages on FB have also seen some of the highest hammer prices in the hobby. It’s when these high prices are realized on eBay on some of the most common items in our hobby that it becomes painfully obvious what is occurring and why. We’ve all spoken for years about the “wonders” of eBay as a seller, but I’m more concerned in this instance as the buyer is now becoming more and more prone to being on the receiving end of eBay’s ***** storm

Last edited by RedHat; Wed May 22 2019 07:02 PM.

Looking for Michelin items + NJ oil company related items (Mohawk, Guardian, Whiz, etc) + animal-related petroliana + Gargoyle/Shell/Sinclair items
RedHat #730414 Mon Jun 03 2019 08:45 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I live in NY, made a purchase out of Indiana, and was just hit with $29 in taxes. No advanced warning whatsoever and neither state was included in Randy's 5/21 post. This thing is growing fast. No taxes paid on purchases made 3 weeks ago. Amount was just added to the invoice. Last ebay buy for me.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hey Marshall , missed you Saturday but saw the boys hope your feeling better.
Rock

buy/sell and collect gas station items,
315 794 8265
RedHat Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Originally Posted by Hardy's Garage
I live in NY, made a purchase out of Indiana, and was just hit with $29 in taxes. No advanced warning whatsoever and neither state was included in Randy's 5/21 post. This thing is growing fast. No taxes paid on purchases made 3 weeks ago. Amount was just added to the invoice. Last ebay buy for me.

That’s not good. I feel for people that use eBay as their main form of income (flippers/resellers/etc.) as I can’t see this not seriously hurting the number of people willing to buy through the platform. I was buying multiple items a day before this, I’ve maybe bought four items since I made this post and they were all low value items as that 7% becomes more and more expensive the higher the item price goes. This is an even bigger problem as our hobby gets more and more expensive. I don’t see how this isn’t going to hurt everyone from the top down.

Now, if you have a seller that isn’t scared off by eBay’s threats of punishment for exchanging emails, an easy way to bypass their algorithm is to simply take a photo of your email and send the photo through their messaging system. I’ve dealt with a few sellers that were okay with this and from there I just made payment directly to their PayPal bypassing the BS sales tax. If you really want to stick it to eBay, you and the seller can agree to cancel the sale on eBay and eBay won’t get their 10% either. The buyer is still covered under PayPal Buyer Protection if paid for through Goods and Services which is more than satisfactory. But, that’s everyone else’s call wink

Last edited by RedHat; Mon Jun 03 2019 07:51 PM.

Looking for Michelin items + NJ oil company related items (Mohawk, Guardian, Whiz, etc) + animal-related petroliana + Gargoyle/Shell/Sinclair items
RedHat #730458 Mon Jun 03 2019 08:04 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted by RedHat
eBay’s threats of punishment for exchanging emails, an easy way to bypass their algorithm is to simply take a photo of your email and send the photo through their messaging system. I’ve dealt with a few sellers that were okay with this and from there I just made payment directly to their PayPal bypassing the BS sales tax. If you really want to stick it to eBay, you and the seller can agree to cancel the sale on eBay and eBay won’t get their 10% either. The buyer is still covered under PayPal Buyer Protection if paid for through Goods and Services which is more than satisfactory. But, that’s everyone else’s call wink

good tip .. ... cool

RANDY
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved