Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
TE lead signs started around 1925.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
F
OP Offline
F
So BA, I chose to go with some JB Weld but not after attempting the soldering. I could not get the brass to "tin", probably a temperature problem. Here is what the placards look like now.

IMG_1968.JPG IMG_1972.JPG
F
OP Offline
F
Here are some progress pictures too.
Things are coming along steadily now that the pump situation that led me to this forum has been fixed. The only other limitation has been funds for the pricey parts like the globe, but I'm about there too.

For anyone interested in my entire restoration, I have a thread over on Garage Journal. Rather than repost and bore the internet, here is a link:

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=413163

(My user name is Turbowoodworker over there).

IMG_2006.JPG IMG_2127.JPG
F
OP Offline
F
This completes my restoration project of the late '20's Gilbert and Barker visible pump.

This project has been one of the most satisfying that I have done in a very long time. I fancy myself as a pretty good woodworker, but this pump took me to techniques I had either never done before or had not done in a long time.

I am not an accomplished TIG welder but I got to have some fun with my Lincoln 175 Square Wave. I've really never done body work but I now know I don't want to quit my day job for it. Reworking the electrical was fun but only as complicated as rewiring an old lamp. The most interesting part was trying to diagnose and fix the frozen pump. This was done with the help of a few here on Oldgas.com, and with applying some brain power and elbow grease. Without manuals, schematics or prior knowledge, this part proved to be quite frustrating, and therefore all the more satisfying in the end.

I am proud of the results and my efforts. I am also so happy to have the opportunity and privilege to save a part of American automobile history from the rust bucket. As the before and after photos show, I started with a rust pile but the difficult to obtain parts (glass cylinder,etc.) were there.

Thanks to all who have lent their opinions and advice here on OldGas. It is always appreciated. I have a complete build thread over on GarageJournal.com if you care to look into detail: https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=413163

I hope you have enjoyed this build project as I have and if you ever get the chance to save an old artifact, give it a try. The results might just surprise you.

Rick

IMG_0239.JPG IMG_0242.JPG IMG_2158.JPG IMG_2153.JPG
F
OP Offline
F
It might be easier to send you to my build thread on GJ https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=413163 than for this old man to try to figure out how to untwist the photos.

F
OP Offline
F
I was almost remiss in thanking the good folks at GasPumpHeaven for their assistance and fine replacement parts.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved