Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
RedHat Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I accidentally stumbled across this page when researching the Vaclite brand of the Vacuum Oil Company. I’ve never seen a list like it and thought some of the history buffs might find some interest in it.

E55F72D5-22AE-41AC-8AA8-A24218175EB2.jpeg
Last edited by RedHat; Thu Mar 07 2019 09:38 AM.

Looking for Michelin items + NJ oil company related items (Mohawk, Guardian, Whiz, etc) + animal-related petroliana + Gargoyle/Shell/Sinclair items
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
Thanks, that's interesting. That's a lot of ships for one company. Wonder what the total for all non military ships would be.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That is amazing that so many ships were sunk/damaged from ONE company. I understand the tactic, but never would’ve guessed it was that high. Like Morgan said, I wonder what the total non-military count is.

Last edited by Speedracer; Thu Mar 07 2019 06:53 PM.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I have issues of Socony-Vacuum News from the war years......they report on every one of these losses. As I'm sure you can guess from the size of this list, the number of dead from these ships lost or severely damaged was quite high as well.
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
RedHat Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Glad you guys find it interesting, had to have been a hell of a time to just be doing your job. Sadly, once the US joined the war, it was open season on civilian crafts that could be aiding the war effort. Hearing the stories from my grandmother of seeing u-boats off the coast of NJ and having to keep all lights off after dark for fear of being targeted (they lived on the beach) was always eerie. I’m pretty sure she was able to see the smoke rising up from ships torpedoed only a few miles off shore.

Looking for Michelin items + NJ oil company related items (Mohawk, Guardian, Whiz, etc) + animal-related petroliana + Gargoyle/Shell/Sinclair items
D
D
This is fascinating. As a WWII buff, this isn't something you would think about, but it really reinforces just how many civilian ships and personnel also sacrificed for the war effort.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved