Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#726105 Wed Mar 06 2019 07:53 PM
FRY 117 Offline OP
OP Offline
Hey folks, just wondering if anyone had information on the visible gas pumps made by the Birmingham Machine and Foundry Company out Birmingham, AL in the mid 1920's? I have found very little information about them and was curious if any of you have one of these or have seen one. Thanks in advance. Tony

IMG_9998.JPG IMG_9989.JPG
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
I don't have any info but that is a very nice pump.

Thanks, Phil
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sweet pump.... wow!

Braden Splichal

FRY 117 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Phil. I was just amazed that it was made in Birmingham, AL. I've never known of any pumps to be manufactured in the Southeast from that era.

FRY 117 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you.

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
In my new Gas Pump Bible book I list all the known companies that made a gas pump. There are over 215 companies listed (my first book had only 125). This is what I have found on Birmingham: "Birmingham Machine & Foundry Company. Birmingham, having started in business in 1883, didn't manufacture a gas pump until 1926. This was the only pump advertised by the company. It is unknown what happened to Birmingham."

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
FRY 117 Offline OP
OP Offline
Yes Jack, the information from your book was about all I could find on the Birmingham Machine and Foundry Company or "BMFC". You have two illustrated pictures of Birmingham pumps. One is a 10 gallon model (401D) and the other is a 5 gallon model (400-UD). Mine is identical to your 5 gallon model but the model number on its manufacturer plate says 300 R. I read that prior to construction of gas pumps the "BMFC" primarily constructed heavy equipment for the sugar cane industry. Thanks for sharing all of your valuable information. Tony

P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
I’ve seen a couple identical to yours over the years...both down south. One in Texas and another in a collection in Georgia. I don’t have any info on company history though...must have been a relatively small outfit.

FRY 117 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the info. I will agree that probably only a handful were made. I would enjoy seeing pictures if anyone else has one of these pumps.

G
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
G
Tony, I have a five gallon Birmingham which I just sold to a Colorado client. We will be restoring it to Cities Service before shipping it West. I heard that Miles Little has one? With yours, mine and Miles', I now know of three? Paul www.severngaspumps.com

FRY 117 Offline OP
OP Offline
I appreciate that information Paul. Any chance you have a picture of your 5 gallon Birmingham? I'm still amazed that I've lived in Alabama my entire life (53 yrs) and never heard about these until now. By the way mine is complete minus the lower access door in the front. Probably a 1 in a million chance that someone might have one for sale but I guess it's worth asking. Thanks again!

IMG_0011.JPG
Last edited by FRY 117; Fri Mar 08 2019 03:33 PM. Reason: Added photo
G
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
G
Tony, Check out my site. Look under the heading { Recently Purchased Collections } Scroll down...You will find it in the Sold section. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

FRY 117 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you for sharing that Paul. Yours looks very similar to my 5 gallon Birmingham. Two things I noticed...Yours appears to have a drain back for the nozzle at the bottom and if I'm not mistaken yours has internal gallon markers opposed to the external ones mine has on the cylinder rods. I'm assuming the hail guard on mine is original or at least has a good bit of age on it. One thing I would be interested in is if your pump still had the manufacturer ID plate on it. Mine shows that it is a Model 300 R and Number 1094 which I assume is its production number. It would be interesting to know how closely the ID plates on these two pumps matched up. Thanks again! Tony

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I noticed the skins look like a Gilbert and Barker....Wonder if they measure the same?????? Did they buy them as a part in manufacturing of there own pump???

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Some more info.

All the ads I have for Birmingham are from 1926 & 1927. The same picture is used in every one of them.
1926: ad states it comes with foot valve, hose, hose nozzle and lock. States both 5 gal. & 10 gal. 10 gal bowl fills in 16 seconds. Has two sets of brass gallon markers. They call it the 400 UD Birmingham.
1927: takes only 11 strokes to fill the 10 gal. bowl. Wired for light. Six strokes and eight seconds to fill the 5 gal. bowl.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved