Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#726007 Tue Mar 05 2019 03:44 PM
Oldgas Offline OP
OP Offline
Southern Living Magazine has an article about old gas station garages being used for other things, such as restaurants.

https://www.southernliving.com/culture/restored-gas-stations

And another you've probably seen before:
https://www.southernliving.com/news/gas-station-house-new-orleans

garage_bg_img_2.jpg
Photo From garageonmarket.com in Louisville, Kentucky

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That’s awesome, good to see the buildings being repurposed in such a cool way

Last edited by RedHat; Tue Mar 05 2019 05:57 PM.

Looking for Michelin items + NJ oil company related items (Mohawk, Guardian, Whiz, etc) + animal-related petroliana + Gargoyle/Shell/Sinclair items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That’s a cool article Jim.

Although Ford’s Garage restaurants are not repurposed buildings, I was fortunate enough to sell them a bunch of petroliana as decor. It’s neat seeing stuff I found “in the wild” in a nice restaurant.

Last edited by Speedracer; Wed Mar 06 2019 12:16 AM.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
L
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
L
Jim, thanks for posting this article. It brings back a lot of good memories. I’ll never forget the day I received a call from Dr. Mildred Caudel to help with this project. It was great to see the support of the Athenians, that stood up to fight to save history and heritage of Athens Alabama.

After doing research at the Limestone County archives, we found out that this station was a prairie style design associated with Frank Lloyd Wright. For several years, this Gulf station sat abandoned, broken windows and decaying woodwork threatened demolition by neglect. With the help of the mayor’s office, preservation commission, and citizens of the community, these projects can make the dream a reality. To those who supported and invested the “SWEAT EQUITY “ in this endeavor, we owe great appreciation and gratitude.

I found these photos when the station was first constructed and when the cafe was added in the same architectural style. Jim, if I remember right, didn’t you put this in a calendar but I’m not sure how to find it. Help!

Thanks, Larry

561D3C35-D0BA-48F0-A0E2-5C9138DD939A.jpeg 682CC315-AEA0-4596-AB1F-E6FD1343C13A.jpeg
Oldgas Offline OP
OP Offline
Great historic photos, Larry. Thankful that you and others helped to save that classic station. Quite an accomplishment.

Yes, the photo you provided was a picture on our old monthly printable calendar back over a decade ago. You can click on "Pictures" near the top of this page and select the Old Gas Station Photo album to browse, or click the following link to go to Larry's picture directly.

http://gaspumps.info/gallery/v/photos/calendar/athensallarrynace.jpg.html

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
L
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
L
Jim, Thanks for helping find the calendar.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted by Larry Nace
I found these photos when the station was first constructed and when the cafe was added in the same architectural style.

...love the 'Park and Speak' ad...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved