Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
V
Vince Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Hi Everyone,

My name is Vince and I reside in Southern CA. I'm fortunate to have gotten from my Father-In-Law a Tokheim 39 Tall gas pump. It's in pretty good condition and I want to restore it. I've had some experience restoring other old items, however, this will be my first pump. The original markings on it show that it was a Chevron pump. I've looked on line and found this image of a Tokheim 39 tall with Chevron markings. I don't if any of you own this pump, but it looks amazing. I am confused as I thought Chevron's colors were red, white, blue, but someone told me the green / creme look was sometimes used. Is this accurate? Hopefully I've successfully uploaded the photo of the pump I'm referencing.

I look forward to the experience and guidance from all of you.

Thanks!

Vince

Green:Creme.png (421.22 KB, 235 downloads)
Green Creme.jpg
Last edited by Oldgas; Thu Feb 28 2019 03:47 PM. Reason: edit to put item name in title
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Vince, Welcome to Oldgas. I've attached a picture of a couple of Chevron S&P's in my collection that are green and crème colored.

Chevron Pair.jpg

Regards, Jim

I collect gas pump salt and pepper shakers
and the plastic coin banks made by AVSCO.
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Vince Chevron used different colors depending on the year. 1915-34 red white and blue. 1934-56 red. 1946-56 green and cream. 1956-69 combinations of red or blue or red and blue or white. Richard

V
Vince Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Thanks for the help Richard. I'm wanting to do a really nice and authentic restoration of my pump. I'll have to look and see the year my pump was manufactured. It still has the original tag on it. I like the green and creme color of the picture I posted but would hesitate using those colors if my pump wasn't in the right year. Interesting that my pump currently shows green, off white colors, but underneath, if you scrape those colors away, is red. Vince

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The green and cream (green, cream and maroon on the porcelain signs) was used on independent stations and the red was used on company owned stations. The red, white and blue came later.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
V
Vince Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Thanks Matt. You answered my next question, which would have been what determined the color options.

H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
Here's an original Wayne 70 in the cream and green and as you can see there is the red underneath.
I've always thought this was one of the better color combinations for a pump.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

D
D
Welcome Vince! I'm just getting into this pump restoration stuff too and "feel" your enthusiasm to do it right.

I agree the cream and green is a fantastic color combo for that pump. And it seems from the info provided above and the dates that pump was manufactured that you can definitely get away with it.

Excited to see pics of your project as it progresses.

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
My mid 30s erie 71 was a factory red pump and later the green and cream added

SAM_1361.JPG
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here is a Gilbarco. I no longer own it, it is in Gas Pump Rob`s collection.

100_7542.JPG

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Vince, thanks for showing the image of my Tokheim 39! I matched the colors from an original pump in the General Petroleum Museum back in the day. The wheat color was generic, I think I had to mix the green until I liked the way it looked. All the other pumps look a little bit more accurate than mine.

V
Vince Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Hi Everyone,

I've been off the grid. WORK !!!!!!! Thanks to all who have responded to my color questions. All very helpful information. I am curious if anyone know's who has the green / Creme pump I first posted at the top of this forum. Would love to hear from that person.

Thanks.

H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
Originally Posted by Vince
Hi Everyone,

I am curious if anyone know's who has the green / Creme pump I first posted at the top of this forum. Would love to hear from that person.

Thanks.

[
Originally Posted by gaspower
Vince, thanks for showing the image of my Tokheim 39! I matched the colors from an original pump in the General Petroleum Museum back in the day. The wheat color was generic, I think I had to mix the green until I liked the way it looked. All the other pumps look a little bit more accurate than mine.

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
You didn't mention which Tokheim 39 you have. Check out this page of my website, it explains all the different 39s: http://petrolianacollectibles.com/tokheim%2039a.htm

If you email me with the Model Number and the Serial Number I will tell you what year and possibly the month it was born.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
V
Vince Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Hi Jack,

I'm pretty sure I have a 39 Tall.

My Tokheim information is:

Serial #: 851622

Model: 39

Type: VP

There's also another number on the plate: A19044. It's at the bottom and I don't know what it represents.

I'd love to know any information you can give me. Thanks very much for your time.

Vince

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved